Upgrading board: what to get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
adk

Default Upgrading board: what to get...custom or agent?

I posted this on the Equipment Review section, but I think this might be more visible here.

I've been riding seriously for about 5 years now. I'm 5'6'', 130 lbs, size 8.5 boot, and I like to freeride (80% all-mountain/20% park), and I think my current board (Saloman Amp 149) has been good for that. I consider myself an intermediate/advanced rider, and I would like to upgrade to a nicer board. But I wouldn't mind something that complements what I currently have too. I live in SoCal, so I make day trips to the crappy local mountains, but I also make enough trips up to Tahoe, etc. every season. So I'd like a board that can work in all types of conditions.

So here's the scoop: I got a very good deal on a Burton Custom 151, but I'm not completely sure it's what I'm looking for. Do you guys think this could be the right board for me? What do you guys think about the length?

A little update: Some other people are telling me that the Custom 151 might feel about the same length as my current board. A dude at a local board shop who sounded pretty knowledgeable suggested a slightly longer board that is more stiff. He suggested looking at the Rome Agent, Mod, and Solution in the 152-154 range, or a Lib Tech in that same range.

Last edited by adk; 07-31-2008 at 03:27 PM.
adk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

agents been gettn good reviews, i agree with the larger board idea if you like ya freeriding more than your park
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
con3593

Rome in general makes some sick boards, and if I may say so myself, the designs are pretty steezy
Old 06-24-2008, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
adk

I appreciate the thoughts on the Rome boards. But any thoughts on the Custom 151? Should I really be looking at something else?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
con3593

I gotta be honest, any review on a Burton board by me is gonna be 100% biased because I have a poorly justified hate of Burton...sorry
Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

The Custom 151 would be a great board for you. But here are some other options.

CAPITA Stairmaster Snowboard
See details Softer for more park riding. We have a 152 left.

Market price: $318.95
Our price: $207.30
save 35%
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is similar to the Custom construction: (a little much for SoCal but needed in Tahoe/Mammoth)
FORUM Lander Snowboard
See details

Market price: $469.99
Our price: $305.50
save 35%

and what I mean by "a little much for SoCal" is Bi-ax glass like in the Stairmaster makes the board more plyable for turns (small hills and terrain parks) where as a Tri-ax is stiffer for hauling ass and plowing through chop.(big mountain and powder fields)
Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
har.hurry

i ride the rome slash which is the wider version of the agent so it's pretty much the same and its a brilliant board for the stuff tht ur wanting to do..i'd go for a rome board and not for a burton and a little bigger might not be a bad idea
Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Rome Agent all the way.

Freeride = longer

Freestyle = shorter

I have a 154 agent and I love it. The handles very good and its nice and forgiving.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
adk

So I picked up a Rome Agent 154 yesterday, and I'm really excited about that. I've been hearing that the Custom rides a little bit shorter than it's true length, so I'm counting the Custom 151 out now.

I'm wondering if the directional shape of the Custom vs. the twin style of the Agent is going to make a big difference for my size and riding style. I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a Custom 154. Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
con3593

thoughts = stick with your agent