burton tnt file guide - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default burton tnt file guide

silly question but i'm not sure if i'm about to use this thing correctly. Doesn't come with instructions. When i screw in the file it doesn't seem to be completely stable in it. Can somebody post some pictures or some detail into how i'm supposed to be using this properly. I'm supposed to file from Nose down to tail but i'm not to sure if the arrow on the file guide is supposed to point towards the tail the direction i'm going or the nose. Can i also get my base edge with this thing?

Burton TNT file guide
rrrtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It is not a base edge sharpener. It's been awhile since I've used mind, but the arrow is the direction that you are to use the file. Make sure you load the file in it so that when you are sharpening you are not going against it. Stroking (heh) the wrong direction on your file will break the teeth off and make it worthless.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

is this correct???
Old 06-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That's the guide. It should have a directional on it for how to load the file. Then as far as sharpening goes, you go the direction that the file is supposed to. Not nose to tail or vice a versa. Unless you switch the file around you are going to go opposite directions on each edge of your board. Unless I am missing something it shouldn't really matter. Your goal is to get the edge sharp, which direction you go shouldn't matter. Especially if you are using a polish stone. Just don't take too much off, it only takes a few passes with that guide. It shaves the metal off like crazy.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah mine came with no directions. so the way the arrow is pointing is the direction the guide should go. should i be using the ceramic stone before i use the file guide or after using it. also will a diamond stone make much of a difference?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Another Question??? If my edge bevels are 1 degree on side and, -1 degree on bottom.... that is a 90 degree edge. However would I want to set the file guide at 91 degrees because the guide lies flat to the bottom of the board, therefore i would have to add that extra degree to get the 1 degree on the side???? help.