hit my first box. Does Capita have poor durability? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

yeah im gonna wait to see what capita says about the warranty, but i doubt they will cover it since it was probably user error. i pretty much fell off every box down my first run, so i probably damaged it then.

does this look repairable to you guys? this is the best board ive ridden so far, so ill probably just buy another one when the price drops a bit if i cant fix it.
tpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Where the hell did you ride so we'll know to stay the hell away from this mutant death box?
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Edge clearly was not "ripped out." Rather, the edge was blown inward. So from my observations, one of two scenarios occured:

1) You impacted the edge while getting on the box.

2) You impacted the edge on the box after falling off.

Did either of these scenarios occur during your first run mishaps?
Old 01-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You're fucked!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Boulder View Post
Where the hell did you ride so we'll know to stay the hell away from this mutant death box?
Devils head resort in wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Edge clearly was not "ripped out." Rather, the edge was blown inward. So from my observations, one of two scenarios occured:

1) You impacted the edge while getting on the box.

2) You impacted the edge on the box after falling off.

Did either of these scenarios occur during your first run mishaps?
actually i remember the board suddenly feeling soft as i was sliding and falling. terrain park is pretty scary, i was more focused on not losing any teeth or breaking an arm lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
You're fucked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Yep it is totally repairable! Don't try it yourself though as it will take shop tools most people don't have. The shop will cut out a 3-4 inch section of the edge and install a new section of edge. A good shop may even tack weld the new edge to the existing. They will re laminate your sidewall and do a base weld to replace the section of Ptex that is damaged. Just don't try to ride it and expose the core to moisture.
awesome! ill try calling a few shops tomorrow, do you know how much something like this would cost?
tpeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i dont know how well a edge will stay in there after being repaired seeing as the looks to be in the middle of your board.

i had something similar happen way back on the first never summer i ever bought. called them up, sent it in, and they fixed it up super good, but on the first day riding it again the edge popped out within a few runs since the damage was right in the middle of my board where i flex it.

if thats the case your best bet may be sealing off everything going into the core with some epoxy, smooth out the edge so it doesnt drag too much while riding and make it a rock board.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
That's a good point. Still, I think it's doable; I've seen my buddy Greg at Hillcrest replace an entire edge before from contact point to contact point to address this very issue.

OP, hard to say really because the cost is really just labor and this rate can vary from shop to shop. I really don't see it costing more than $200 and might even get it done for under $100
yea if the whole edge gets replaced i'm sure it'd be fine. if they just replace the part that's missing i doubt it'll stay in there very long unless he doesn't do any presses.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep it is totally repairable! Don't try it yourself though as it will take shop tools most people don't have. The shop will cut out a 3-4 inch section of the edge and install a new section of edge. A good shop may even tack weld the new edge to the existing. They will re laminate your sidewall and do a base weld to replace the section of Ptex that is damaged. Just don't try to ride it and expose the core to moisture.
Yep, this is your best bet after Capita kindly tells you to go fuck yourself. I'm sure the email will start out something like, "We really appreciate your business and value you as a customer, BUT..."

You smashed that board into something. They ain't covering that.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What *may* happen - and this would be absolute best case scenario, IMO - is that Capita could offer some sort of trade-in/discount on a replacement. Worth trying, at least, but be sure to suck up to them when you contact them. Exhibiting any degree of entitlement will most certainly result in the aforementioned "f off" response.
Planet Boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
i dont know how well a edge will stay in there after being repaired seeing as the looks to be in the middle of your board.

i had something similar happen way back on the first never summer i ever bought. called them up, sent it in, and they fixed it up super good, but on the first day riding it again the edge popped out within a few runs since the damage was right in the middle of my board where i flex it.

if thats the case your best bet may be sealing off everything going into the core with some epoxy, smooth out the edge so it doesnt drag too much while riding and make it a rock board.
this...the placement of that blown edge is HORRIBLE. Obviously no NS bashing here as I love and still ride their boards, but my first Revolver cracked an edge on the heelside, right between my feet. basically where the board gets flexed the most. Never Summer fixed it for me (out of warranty), and it didnt hold very long before it blew again. shes now wall art!!
threej21 is offline   Reply With Quote