I have big feet and I need help with first board purchase - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bigbee

Default I have big feet and I need help with first board purchase

Hey,

I am looking to buy my first setup. I am tall 6 foot 5, with a size 15 boot, about 208lbs, and goofy footed. I have been riding the rental boards (burton curzers 165, I think, with the freestyle boots). Last season, I purchased Burton Elevators and they prevented much of the drag. Now I am looking to get a whole setup for next season.

1. Do I need to factor in the elevators? They help 100% but would I even need them if I had a wider board?

2. What do you think the best board/boot/binding combo would be.

3. When is the best time to get new gear? I live in fl so all my purchases would be online.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Damn you're a big guy and I have never tried to advice to anyone with your stats.

After some research I can give you a little advice.

You need a board big board I think a 164-166 and the board needs to have wide waist around 265 or more.

Here are a few find that should work fine for you.

Lowest Price on Salomon Tempest Snowboard 166 this one looks like a great choice

Best Prices On K2 Union Snowboard 167

Lowest Price on Burton King Snowboard 167

Lowest Price on Rossignol Circuit Plus Wide Snowboard 166

Lowest Price on Ride Decade Wide Snowboard 165

Lowest Price on Nitro Target Select Wide Snowboard 165

Lowest Price on Rossignol District + Wide Snowboard 166

Or even a Rome Flag 168, personally I love rome, but I am not sure if that board might be to long for you.

I am not even going to recomend the Burton custom wide because the waist of the 167 is only 262.

I am not related with sessignol or nitro boards so I am not sure if they are good or no. Some else can help here.

--------------
As far as bindings go I always recommend the Rome 390's, but make sure that they can fit a size 15 in there, before buying (contact the company).
----------------
Boots : Burton, DC, Vans, make size 15 boots and you can probably find them cheap. I personally love Salomon boots but you have to check if they make them in size 15. The are very nice and comfortable.
-------------------
When is the best time to buy Now, everyone has great sales, they need to get rid of all the 07 gear, to bring in the new one.

----------

I think with a board with a waist of 265 or more you might not need the elevators, but then again you might still need them.

Look around find yourself a wide board, I gave you some great links with some good choices. But check other sites for a better price.

Let me know if you need more help.

Where in Fl are you? I am in ft.lauderdale
Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
con3593

First off, damn your a big dude, I'd definately recommend the Rome Flag but not the 168, Id go with the 163 if I were you. You still still need the risers.

Flag Snowboard 2008

The cheapest you can probably ever find that board...make sure you switch it to 163...and for bindings, I really have no clue...I'd hope your feet would fit into an XL binding, but I'ma have to tell you to wait for snowwolf to get here for bindings and boots

although I would recommend you stay away from Burton and DC boots, they have a pretty bad track record

also, Simply^Ride, you think the Rome 390's would make decent beginner/intermediate bindings? I haven't ridden them, but I'm not sure how they would work for a semi-beginner

Edit #4...Welcome to the forum

Last edited by con3593; 06-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by con3593 View Post
First off, damn your a big dude, I'd definately recommend the Rome Flag but not the 168, Id go with the 163 if I were you. You still still need the risers.
You could be right there, never thought of that. But then again we don't even know what type of riding he does freeride vs. freestyle.

If its on the freestyle side he should be fine with a 163, but if its freeride he needs something longer.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
con3593

Nahh, hes pretty lightweight for his size, he should be on around a 164-165. But a 163 for him would work well everywhere...Rome flag is a 100% all mountain board
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Bigbee

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

The Rome Flag was the board I have been reading about (searching this fourm before I posted). I will probably go with them.

Simply^Ride, I am in West Palm. I was actually in Ft Lauderdale last week to see Rancid at the revolution.

I am looking for an all mountain board, I will mainly be crusing, to be honest I just love riding. I may check out the parks now and then but probably not too much.

As for the boot binding combo, should I try to match them?

For the boots thanks for the tip on DCs, they were going to be my one of my main choices, I didn't know they were bad, I think they had a good rep for skating (back when I skated...12 years ago).

For the boot I heard there was a Vans boot that had an inner shell of 15 and an outer shell of 14, or something like that. Has anyone heard of these boots? I would love a size smaller if they fit.

One more quick question, what advantage (if any) do I get by taking the elevators off? I have gotten used to them, mainly because I ride so much better with them.

Last edited by Bigbee; 06-27-2008 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gustov

taking the elevators off will probably give you some better response from your board, i'm not positive though.

you have some damn big feet man. my brother has the same size and rides a regular wide board and his feet hang over like crazy. his board is too small for him, but still, you need a pretty wide board. i would look at a nitro magnum, it's one of the widest boards out there. it's an all mountain board, and it's actually the board that i ride, and i can tell you that it is very nice, i can say nothing but good about it.

for bindings, all i can recommend is ride, because they're all i have experience with, ex or rx i would recommend. boots, you just need to go to a store and try some on to find which ones fit.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

I am afraid I have never used the elevators, but I heard from a few people that they tend to lose a little of the responsiveness of the board. I guess you would have to try it and see how it goes for you.

I love rome, I have the agent and love it, pared with the 390's is a perfect match.

I am not sure what else to say, try to find a good deal, don't splatter your money around.

P.S. I recently started wakeboarding in a cable park in deerfield beach here, I am looking for more people to ride with. The sport is really cool and addictive (similar to snowboarding), if you ever have a day of and you want to try this out let me know, we could meet there.

I have to drive 30 minutes to get there, west palm is like 35 minutes away from there, so it's not that bad I guess. If you interested PM me and we could plan something out to meet there, I think a few of my friends are going to meet there this Sunday.

Last edited by Simply^Ride; 06-27-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

As stated in the other posts "Damn your a big dude". With that said I have a Rome Flag 168, and I use it strictly for freeride, its a great board. My stats are 6'0" 225 size 13 boot. For any other type of riding I use a Burton King 162 however I don't do much park anyway.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
con3593

HAHA Simply^Ride, gettin lonely out there?