In the market for an All-Mountain Freestyle Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default In the market for an All-Mountain Freestyle Board

5'6", 125lbs

Looking at Never Summer SL 153cm

Been biased to NS by a lot of people, but would like to investigate other top quality brands that I haven't been exposed to yet.

Like I said, "all mountain freestyle" - meaning to do EVERYTHING. Groomers, powder, thru the trees, terrain park, superpipe, you name it. I just want an all around board to shred with and have fun, while getting exceptional performance out of the board in all areas.
WS6Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm interested in this thread as well - I am exactly your height and weight, and am also looking for a freestyle board.

I was looking at the GNU Rider's choice. I've read some great reviews about it.
guharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Lib Tech TRS is a good all-mountain board. I've got an older one and it is a great board. I am 6' and 155lbs and ride a 154. I would look into something around 148cm for your size.
scrotumphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrotumphillips View Post
Lib Tech TRS is a good all-mountain board. I've got an older one and it is a great board. I am 6' and 155lbs and ride a 154. I would look into something around 148cm for your size.
Hmm... I know 153cm is slightly long for me currently, but I was also looking ahead to a board that will still fit me in the future. Not going to be getting taller, but a little heavier down the road. Basically if I were to get a NS SL, there is a 151cm and a 153cm. Still torn on which I should get if I go with that board.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anyone else have input on the length for me? I have like 5 days to decide
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I dont have any input on the specific board your looking at but as a board length/rider comparison, im 5'10" 120lbs (naked) and ride a 152 flow era(2011). i love the length and its super playfull for me.
tj_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just a suggestion, you might want to check the "Jones" line of boards. JJ is not that big, think he's about 5'7" & 145 lbs, shoe size 7.5. I don't think you would have a problem finding a great all mountain board. JJ even has a pow boards that's 152cm in length.
RichnNorcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_ras View Post
I dont have any input on the specific board your looking at but as a board length/rider comparison, im 5'10" 120lbs (naked) and ride a 152 flow era(2011). i love the length and its super playfull for me.
Thats something to think about. If they made a 152cm I would get that for sure. But the last board (and the first board) I rode was a 151cm and it was great for maneuverability and all. I honestly don't foresee me gaining a ton of weight within the next years. I put that I weigh 125lbs, but a naked weight is probably about 118lbs.

The girl at a board shop recommended the 153cm NS SL to me for an all mountain freestyle board to go and do anything.

Anyone else about my size lurking the forums? Let me know what you are riding so I can get my answer!
Old 01-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been looking pretty hard at the NS Proto CTX which many people have recommended as a great all-around board.

Nothing against the SL, it's just the CTX is a much better option for my size 12 feet (so sorry I can't help you on sizing!).

Currently have a Ride Machete which I love and have found to be a really good all-around board, so you may want to investigate that.
m0rph3us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
5'6", 125lbs

Looking at Never Summer SL 153cm

Been biased to NS by a lot of people, but would like to investigate other top quality brands that I haven't been exposed to yet.

Like I said, "all mountain freestyle" - meaning to do EVERYTHING. Groomers, powder, thru the trees, terrain park, superpipe, you name it. I just want an all around board to shred with and have fun, while getting exceptional performance out of the board in all areas.
There is no such board in existence. No quiver killer will be great at everything. The good ones end up pretty good at certain aspects and average to below average on others. Take for example the SL which I use also as my all-mountain freestyle board. Its great at charging, trees, powder etc. Its only okay in the park. Good on jumps but not soft enough to really press it out or butter, and the dampness eliminates a lot of the feel you want when in the park. Also doesn't ride switch as well as true twins. Same thing with my GNU RC, all have benefits and limitations. Its why a lot of us have multiple decks.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote