Snowboard for beginner (yes i've searched) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Snowboard for beginner (yes i've searched)

Hi all first post,

I went snowboarding for the first time last year in NZ and I loved it! I only snowboarded for 5 days but by the end I was linking turns and doing some of the blue runs. I'm looking to buy a board for a US/Japan trip i'm doing later this year. I want to buy the board now to take advantage of the summer US prices but i will buy my boots and bindings from a store when I reach the US.

I can get a really good deal on arbor boards so I've been looking at them. I initially looked at the formula as it's a beginner board but a store employee said I should go for either the element or alt as I'm pretty heavy.

My stats are 5"11 220 pounds and size 10. I don't care about tricks or freestyle just want to cruise the mountain on an all mountain board. Would the element or alt be okay for a beginner to learn on? I'll probably spend the first few days relearning what i did last year but want a board I can grow into.

Thanks for all the help
paulage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 04:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
true_richard

are you from nz?

shipping a board from the usa or canada to nz would more than negate any savings due to off season sales.

that said, if you happen to be anywhere in north america or the european union - out of our lineup, based on your stats i'd suggest the same board i ride: a 159cm true courage wide board - twin tip for landing 180's or riding fakey, & wide enough that you'll never catch your toes or heels and wipe out.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually from Australia but my brother lives in the US and can get some pretty good deals at the moment. I'll just pick the board up when I go over later on in the year. Is the element/alt worth the extra $200 over the formula though? I quite like the price of the formula at the moment Any formula riders in here?

Also, I'll check up on the other boards you guys mentioned too

cheers
paulage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i like never summer boards for that type of riding, plus they have a 3 year warranty, not that they need it, they're bomb proof. Check into the premier. the other company for freeride i like is salomon, check the burner.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pottsy

You sound like you have about the same skill set as I do. I've been riding for a few years but I have only gotten out a couple times each year. I am trying to get more involved in the sport and finally took the plunge and bought myself a complete setup.

I just bought an Arbor Formula - got it from EMS for 170.00 shipped. I am 5'8" and 155lbs and I went for the 158. I figured since I mainly just free-ride this board was perfect for me though I have some interest in hitting some small stuff in the park in the coming years.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hit the sites NOW if you want a good deal. The '09 stock is on clearance at most places and flying out the door.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

OLD POST. Stop diging these up
Woosenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote