Board for my daughter - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
AK-Man

Default Board for my daughter

Howdy, Looking for a recommendation for a board for my daughter.

She is very athletic but is new to snowboarding. She can ride a board but is still very new. We've just been using rental stuff up to now but will be looking to buy some stuff in the off season.

She is 13 years old. 4' 11" tall and 95 pounds. Tough as nails and a nature athlete. Pretty sure she'll figure out how to ride pretty quick. We will be park riding almost exclusively.

Any ideas on board length, brand, model, etc?? The more specific that better for me!!!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
AK-Man

Dudes! Thanks for the reponses...

Rock on Snowolf...I shall acquire the Atomic Fallen Angel. See ebay #270246011890. Looks like a good price including shipping. Do you think 148cm is too long (obviously you don't, cause that is what you recommend) but seems long to me. If she is going to get into groovy 180's, jumps, and cool kid stuff, is it too long??

Madison bindings sounds cool. see ebay #320221240317. Also looks like decent deal (and they are "girly" color!). These will go good.

Thanks and let me know on the length!!

Back country boarding in Alaska this February is a done deal Snowolf!! Looking forward to the trip. I'll have to get warmer gear for the -35 degree (amibient) Fairbanks trip though!!!
Old 07-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
AK-Man

Default So let it be written.....

So let it be written....So let it be done!!!

New 148cm Atomic Fallen Angel board with Rome Madison Bindings. Ought to be a righteous setup! Got 'em both in my room ready for the snow! Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000689.jpg (177.6 KB, 85 views)
Old 07-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
AK-Man

Thanks for the recommendations guys!
Old 07-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
AK-Man

Yeah, she knows. She is pumped. Wants boots right now but gonna wait till right before season in case she grows!

Thanks to you, we now have "like father, like daughter" setups. Atomic boards and Rome bindings!!! Rock on.

Here we have the Atomic Cold Smoke with Targa Bindings next to the Atomic Fallen Angel with Madison bindings (my dauther loves the girly colors!).

I am pumped for next season (can you tell) and it is only July!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-2008 His and Hers snowboards.jpg (55.2 KB, 80 views)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
razzi

Wow, 148 for a 4'11 95 lbs girl?? Don't get me wrong, that might be a good size for someone who just freerides all day long and she can always grow into it but I thought it was too big. Hell, I'm 5'2 and 125 lbs and I had the Atomic Fallen Angel in 141. It's a FUN ASS BOARD, it's so soft and buttery and stiff enough to free ride
Old 07-19-2008, 01:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
AK-Man

Razzi, thanks for your input. Are you saying that the board probably OK for carving down the mountain but maybe too big for tricks and stuff??

If anyone is intersted got a good deal in these items (I think):

Board - Via eBay - $207.49 shipped
Bindings - Via Wave Rave - $113.97 shipped (heck of a deal)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
razzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Man View Post
Razzi, thanks for your input. Are you saying that the board probably OK for carving down the mountain but maybe too big for tricks and stuff??

If anyone is intersted got a good deal in these items (I think):

Board - Via eBay - $207.49 shipped
Bindings - Via Wave Rave - $113.97 shipped (heck of a deal)
Yeah, it should be OK for carving and riding around and I'm sure she could manage to do tricks on it, when I started riding, I was 4'11 and had a 149 but then again I was heavy for my height. I still did rails and spins off jumps with the 149. $200 isn't a bad price for the Atomic, not at all! I got mine for like $96, lol, I love steepandcheap.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Nope, the 148 is right in the correct weight range on the tech data from Atomic. At 125, that 141 is technically too short for you and you would notice improved stability at higher speed with a 148 yourself. Not saying the 141 is "wrong" it is all about personal preference, but the 148 is in fact ideal for her and the camber will give the the board good pop.

Atomic Snowboarding
Those are just the recommended sizes, not the sizes you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to ride like most people think. HOWEVER, if you look at the weight range for the 141 and the 144, his daughter could totally rock those sizes too. The 144 would had been PERFECT since she's right in the range.

I dropped down to the 141 from a 146 and I LOVED IT. Hell, I could probably ride a 138, almost got the K2 Va Va Voom in a 138 but got the Duchess in a 144 instead. I had no problems bombing down runs with the 141, yeah, it would chatter a little but not too much to bother me and make me go "wah wah I need a bigger board". My 141 Atomic is actually broken and rides like shit now but still has a lot of pop, here's a pic of me ollie-ing over a shovel yesterday when I was going slow:

I don't really need a bigger board for the better camber and pop in order to get the good pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
The next size down on that board is a 144 which is too small. Where she will spend 90% of her time riding it is much better to be on the long side of the scale than too short. Alyeska`s green runs are like blues in the lower 48. I spent 8 days up there and was amazed by the terrain; it is a freerider`s dream and longer is the way to go up there. AK Man, that board will be just fine for her to start doing park stuff too. The only issue with length comes from spinning. She is not going to have any trouble with that either with her background and once she learns her tip clearences she will be throwing down 3`s in no time at all.
I think that the 144 would had been more ideal; it's much more maneuverable and she won't struggle as much to turn, esp at her weight. When I dropped down from the 149 to 146, I immediately noticed the difference and loved it. The turning radius was tighter and I was more aggressive in my turns and carves. Even the 144 is great on blues and blacks for me and I'm a lot heavier than his daughter. She shouldn't have any problems spinning, bigger boards are good for that since you have more swing weight to throw around and the Atomic is a light board.

By the way, AK-Man, which resort do you ride at? Kudos on getting her the Rome Madison bindings, she will LOVE LOVE LOVE them, I know I love mine!! Whenever she needs new bindings, look into the K2 Auto Agogo, those are really cool and are supposed to eliminate any pressure points and you can strap in faster!

OH also, I wanted to throw in that the Fallen Angel is more of a park board, it becomes REALLY soft after you ride it a lot lot lot. Mine is totally mushy now, I don't even take it free riding anymore; I use my Nitro Nyx 146 for that or the K2 Duchess 144. BUT DAMN, it is a FUN park board!!!!! And you can butter down runs all day long with it!

Last edited by razzi; 07-20-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
AK-Man

Thanks for your points of view. Sounds like my girlo should be in great shape with what she's got. If she gets bit hard by the snowboard bug and starts to do stuff that requires other boards we can always deal with that later (hey, man (or woman) cannot live by one board alone, right??)

=) Thanks Snowolf. Definitely looking forward to riding the Christmas Chute and "gear jammer" with you this year!!

Raz, we will primarily be riding at the Alyeska ski resort outside the big city of Anchorage!! Nice shot of your Olly by the way!
Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
razzi

Ahh, 148 should be fine for Alaska then and she can always grow into it! That is true, no one can live with just one board... I have 8 all of them are broken except for 1 tho... dang! and thanks, haha