help...wide boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
misfit_nitro

Unhappy help...wide boards

hey guys i've been snowboardin for like 7 years and i always used normal width boards.its all been good so far but im 20 now and im 6.2' tall and 82kg and the last 2 seasons i ride nitro misfit 158..my boots are 11 number (or 12).i like freestyle but there are some tricks that i think i cant do because of the board width(at least feels like it).do you think that changing to a wide board would help or wide boards are not as good as normal at freestyle...thanks and sorry for my english
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
geoko

I too am somewhere between 11 & 12, and you sir, have the fortune of being in the awkward "not quite big enough to absolutely need a wide, but not quite small enough for a regular board" group. While there are some good wide boards out there (i.e. i was looking at the Forum Bully, a wide version of The Grudge) I elected to get the Grudge and find some bindings with a decent pair of toe risers. (I went with Forum Republics.) There are also alternatives to a wide board like reduced form factor boots. (I know DC makes a pair that sacrifices some insulation in order to reduce print size to effectively be one or two sizes smaller - unfortunately i cna't remember the model name off the top of my head.) I can tell you from my experience that toe risers were enough to put me on a regular board and avoid the wide scene, and I have been quite happy with that choice.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
dashock333

I wear around a 11-12 and just bought a new forum wide board. haven't been able to try it yet, obviously. but i'm pretty sure that most people here are gonna tell you to go wide like they did for me.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
ElDanio

If you really feel it's because of the width, I would recommend moving up to a mid-wide. I believe Never Summer's Legacy would be perfect for you. It's a mid-wide all mountain freestyle which is a good match for your type of riding. Being a never summer (since they use 4 sheets of fiberglass instead of 2), it is stiffer than a regular board which will go well with your weight (since you are a big boy at 6"2, I'm not calling you fat ). If you plan on concentrating on freestyle, staying where you are or a mid-wide would be your best bet. A wide board would not be maneuverable enough for your foot size and would hurt you more in the end (in freestyle obviously, it would be fine for freeride and such).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ElDanio; 06-30-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
true_richard

at 82kg i wouldn't consider you heavy at all & in need of a super stiff board.

i'm 6'2" or so & have about the same size boot, but i'm about 105kg.

i've ridden wide boards since i first started snowboarding over 10 years ago, so i've had my fair share of days on them. sure they're not quite as quick to turn/spin as a lower mass regular width board, but once you get used to them they're not that much different. i have over 100 days in on a burton floater (powder board) and several on my new ride, a 159cm True Courage Wide board - which is from the brand i rep for, True Snowboards.

i much prefer the courage over floater now because it's a true twin tip, so i can land 180's with it, as well as use it for snowkiting. (requires the ability to ride back across the wind fakey - which isn't so easily done on a directional powder board.) if you're anywhere in north america or the european union, our boards are available to you at one fair world price.

as for risers - never muched liked binding plate risers.
gas pedals - the ones with my old burton step ins helped a lot.
low form boots - i rock a pair of solomon f24's & they're about a size smaller on the outside than most other boots, allowing me to use some of my regular width boards quite easily without a stupidly wide angled stance. i also wear solomon boots because i have narrow ankles, so if you have narrow ankles as well - check them out, they're incredibly comfortable.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
ElDanio

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_richard View Post
at 82kg i wouldn't consider you heavy at all & in need of a super stiff board.

i'm 6'2" or so & have about the same size boot, but i'm about 105kg.
Yeah I just noticed that 82kg is around 180 pounds, my bad. But I still think the board is a good match for you, it's not ridiculously stiff and definitely manageable. There is also the forum youngblood mid-wide, a freestyle specific board that will also tear shit up.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
misfit_nitro

ok thanks guys...ill check the mid-wide boards or try one normal with larger width..thanks anyway!!