Painting a snowboard? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
SmurfTacular

Default Painting a snowboard?

Hey, this is my first post here. But I have a question. I bought a snowboard for a really good price, but it has a pretty lame paintjob. So I want to know if its OK to paint over the paint job. Is it OK to use spray paint? I would use primer and a gloss finish, but I'm worried that it would peel off. Because they paint snowboards using silk screening for a reason. So if anyone knows if its OK to spray paint your snowboard, let me know... thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

hummm, lets see. I have seen a few boards painted out in the scene. I imagined you really need to prepare your surface really good for the paint to stick to it. Now this is just me thinking so I might be 100% incorrect.

this is from my painting experience
get the surface nice and rough by sanding the living crap out of it. then primer (let it dry the amount needed, this is a fatal mistake that many people make), then paint in 3 light coats, allowing drying times in between.

I would be very careful with the edges and the base of the board. I also would be careful of not sanding to much that would start to destroy important layers of the board.

Now I am not sure how they paint snowboards you say with silk, I would imagine that eventually your paint job will fail(after some time).

A few members painted their boards here, but to be honest I never asked how they did it.

Shit after witting all this crap , I decided to do a simple google.com search and found this,
How To Custom Paint Your Snowboard click there for the info you need to paint your board. Fuck all this time wasted for nothing

Remember google is our friend

Hey post a picture of the board, I wana see if it really looks that bad.

Last edited by Simply^Ride; 07-01-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
01NST5

a few things:

a. who cares? does anyone really care what your board looks like? Unless you're standing around the bottom of the mountain, you're probably in a lift line, on a lift or carving. Anyone who other than jokingly gives you a hard time or (cares) about your board, is pretty lame/shallow anyway, and you don't need to be hanging around 'em. Other than seeing a board that someone likes, no one's gonna say crap about your board... seriously.

b. sticker the crap out of your board. this could be cheap or expensive (your choice) .

c. go ahead and paint it. nothing wrong with that, it's your board!

the only time anyone should see your deck is when you're walking to/from your car and standing in the lift line.

props to the peeps out riding. to hell with posers who want to look like riders.

bottom line- do what you want to your board, but for the right reasons. don't get caught up in the cheesy poser bling bling (dark) side of boarding, do it for the right reason, TO RIDE!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01NST5 View Post
...props to the peeps out riding. to hell with posers who want to look like riders.

bottom line- do what you want to your board, but for the right reasons. don't get caught up in the cheesy poser bling bling (dark) side of boarding, do it for the right reason, TO RIDE!
Wow can't put that any better!!! Well said.
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gustov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
Now I am not sure how they paint snowboards you say with silk
silk screen. a screen with tons of tiny holes in it. you put a design on it and push ink (not paint) through. my dad owns a silk screen business, all the free shirts you could ever want
Old 07-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustov View Post
my dad owns a silk screen business, all the free shirts you could ever want
For me?

well thanks Gustov.

lets see which one do I want first

Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gustov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
For me?
no

i have been asked that probably a couple hundred times though
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
true_richard

Quote:
no

i have been asked that probably a couple hundred times though
does his silk screening business have a website or standard price list you could send me?

our counterparts in the uk have some nice hoodies/t's etc printed up, but i don't think we'll be shipping hoodies over from the uk when we can get stuff screened here in canada or the us of a.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Quote:
silk screen. a screen with tons of tiny holes in it. you put a design on it and push ink (not paint) through. my dad owns a silk screen business, all the free shirts you could ever want
Well, now that you offered. I've got a couple designs I've been working on that I'd love made =]

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
true_richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdsnowman View Post
Personally I like the "War wounds" that are on my boards. Gives them that character.
preach on brotha!

all my rock chips and and stuff on edges of my top sheets get a nice application of clear epoxy to seal up the core to prevent water from causing delamination - but that's as far as it goes. i rock the war wounds like badges of honour. 8)