Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Looking for Board Recommendations (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/60241-looking-board-recommendations.html)

eltreato 01-29-2013 05:44 PM

Looking for Board Recommendations
 
Hi All,

I'm an all mountain rider who has been snowboarding since '89, though haven't really been following the industry much for the last 10 years or so. As a kid I started on a big board, a Burton Cruise 165, moved to a Nitro Fusion 166 and am currently riding a Burton Supermodel 168 from 1999ish. Boards last a long time for me, I pretty much ride them until they die. The Supermodel is starting to delaminate and I'm looking for something comparable in the 160-168 size range that would work, I'm 5'11", 175lbs. 90% of my riding is high-speed edge-to-edge old school groomer bombing with lots of switch riding and the occasional foray into the park or moguls. I've found most manufacturer websites to be pretty much useless in terms of describing their boards suitability. I only ever ridden cambered boards and from the sounds of things a rockered board wouldn't offer that much for my style of riding, though correct me if I'm wrong. Can anyone recommend a good all mountain board for high speed cruising with the occasional sidetrip through the park? I'm not too concerned about the latest and greatest and would be find riding something used from the last half decade or so, something that I don't have to worry about getting dinged in the lineups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit: as per the sticky at the top of the forum, I'm 37, size 9.5, and ride Vancouver/Whistler (coastal snow conditions)

Justin 01-29-2013 11:17 PM

Something like the burton custom x or nitro blacklight would be good boards for you to consider. Stiffer all mountain. Ride makes a couple of boards that might work as well with micro camber and micro rocker at the tips although im not sure it will give you the same rebound when carving.

eltreato 01-30-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin (Post 652393)
Something like the burton custom x or nitro blacklight would be good boards for you to consider. Stiffer all mountain. Ride makes a couple of boards that might work as well with micro camber and micro rocker at the tips although im not sure it will give you the same rebound when carving.

Thanks Justin, your suggestions look like good starting points.

All the best!

Justin 01-30-2013 09:17 AM

Of those 2 i would lean to the custom x with your shoe size, i think the blacklight is a mid-wide.

The arbor a-frame might be a good option.

bordsmnj 01-30-2013 09:35 AM

find an old salomon "fastback". they still make it but they call it a "burner" and it is mellower version now.
you just told my story. especialy about being gone for ten years. i feel the marketing has killed real design in snowboards and in my not so humble opinion if it aint camber it aint shit.:D

vknyvz 01-30-2013 09:50 AM

yup custom X is a good 650 bucks camber board, i demoed it last week at mountain creek, edges were holding well on ice

CK93 01-30-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vknyvz (Post 653849)
yup custom X is a good 650 bucks camber board, i demoed it last week at mountain creek, edges were holding well on ice

I agree, it sounds you ride close to what I do. I just bought the new Custom X and it is a great board. if $650 isn't too much, I recommend it.

eltreato 01-30-2013 10:40 AM

Great info here, thanks guys!

vknyvz 01-30-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK93 (Post 653881)
I agree, it sounds you ride close to what I do. I just bought the new Custom X and it is a great board. if $650 isn't too much, I recommend it.

what did you pick up i just ordered the cobra X 161cm from evo for 560 but just called and changed it with 163cm

still thinking maybe 161 was fine... thinking....

CK93 01-30-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vknyvz (Post 654105)
what did you pick up i just ordered the cobra X 161cm from evo for 560 but just called and changed it with 163cm

still thinking maybe 161 was fine... thinking....

I bought the Custom X 164. I am a bit on the heavier side and went by Burton's weight guide to choose the size. But part of me thinks I should have got the next size down.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2