Never Summer's...what's the story?? - Page 13 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #121 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Never Summer's...what's the story??

What about dream pow? Is he going into threads an pushing NS without merit? How about NWBoarder and MysticFalcon?

I really don't see where some of you are coming up with these assertions. So far, everything I've been hearing is being committed by other members. Members that bought NS boards. This has nothing to do with the Design Team. This is pre-existing hype from people who purchased and rode NS boards.

Look, I don't have a problem if you disagree with this particular move from NS. What I have a problem with is people making false assumptions about Design Team members.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #122 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

My point of view:

Every single snowboard company in the world has a bunch of randoms that get free / discount gear. They all rep their companies to varying degrees.

I take internet opinions worth a grain of salt. Unless I can ride with the person I have no idea how they compare with my skill level and experience.

Half of the riders on this list ride very different terrain than I. Others ride a lot less than I do. So their opinions, while valid, may not apply to me.

However, the only thing I strongly believe in is full disclosure. If you are getting compensated in any way for something. You need to discolose that fact.

I'm not saying anyone on this list would be biased in a review. Hopefully they'll still point out some of the flaws in the never summer line up. Hopefully never summer wont freak out and muzzle them.

As long as they say "Hey I'm an official reviewer for never summer here is what I think about this board" we are all good
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #123 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Never Summer's...what's the story??

Also, to play a little bit of a victim role...

This is my passion. I was handed an opportunity and welcomed it. I was reviewing boards anyway.

There's the kicker. I CHOOSE to spend my time on products and post my thoughts online. I CHOOSE to help riders anyway I can with the best of my knowledge. I don't make a living off this sport. If I don't get free boards from NS, I'll get them from work and other connects.

So when I'm spending my time trying to honestly provide help here and get falsely accused of my intents, I'm gonna lash out.

It's all good though. I don't do this for the haters. I pride myself on having helped a ton of riders here make a purchase they were happy with. Yea, not all were pleased, but that's a risk we take with Internet reviews.

I'm glad to be helping Never Summer improve their line. They are a solid company. Call me biased for that comment if you want.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #124 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Why is that suspect?

They were recruited for their riding style, where they ride, and their experience. They aren't regular members here as you pointed out. Even in the short time they joined here, did they post much? Are they hyping NS? Are they showing heavy bias? That is what the debate is about right?

So again, why is this suspect? They'll post a review and that'll probably be the extent of it. They don't even post in our group thread.

People are overreacting.

Leo, my main point was the reason you (and many of us) had never heard of them before is because they just joined. Not an issue; I get it. Why wouldn't the design team be members here? Keeping them all accessible and in one place makes sense. Of course they would need to be members here for that to happen.

The reason it might seem suspect is because they are new here AND affiliated with NS. Their credentials are not in question, nor is the decision to have them on the team.

BUT, it's not too far off from a member coming on here with a low post count and having affiliation with a product. Except they often get shit for it and have to earn their merit as a member before taken seriously.

I have not suggested the new sbf/NS members have done anything suspect. I'm saying it might appear to be suspect because we've never heard from them before. The rest of you - I'll say congratulations. You all have had a presence here prior, so that's different.

I certainly hope you don't think I am overreacting. Honestly I really am not bothered either way. Just giving an opinion on how it might be perceived. It also doesn't come across well when people appear to be hostile about it all. That goes for both sides of the argument.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #125 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
Leo, my main point was the reason you (and many of us) had never heard of them before is because they just joined. Not an issue; I get it. Why wouldn't the design team be members here? Keeping them all accessible and in one place makes sense. Of course they would need to be members here for that to happen.

The reason it might seem suspect is because they are new here AND affiliated with NS. Their credentials are not in question, nor is the decision to have them on the team.

BUT, it's not too far off from a member coming on here with a low post count and having affiliation with a product. Except they often get shit for it and have to earn their merit as a member before taken seriously.

I have not suggested the new sbf/NS members have done anything suspect. I'm saying it might appear to be suspect because we've never heard from them before. The rest of you - I'll say congratulations. You all have had a presence here prior, so that's different.

I certainly hope you don't think I am overreacting. Honestly I really am not bothered either way. Just giving an opinion on how it might be perceived. It also doesn't come across well when people appear to be hostile about it all. That goes for both sides of the argument.
ERS,

The business side of this is that never summer is probably paying vertical sports for that board.

Next they create a team to live in that board and generate content.

This is basically an old-school version of social marketing.

You see this all the time in the auto-forums.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #126 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
ERS,

The business side of this is that never summer is probably paying vertical sports for that board.

Next they create a team to live in that board and generate content.

This is basically an old-school version of social marketing.

You see this all the time in the auto-forums.
If that is the case, I hope NS is paying VS for that level of exposure. If not, I'm going to recruit a Team for my business and assemble them here!

And if that is true, then call it what it is: Advertising.

Which is FINE. If it's marketing using an unbiased test team, design team, whatever it's fine. But call it what it is then if it's not what it appears to be.

I have to say the hostility in responses is NOT helping their cause imo.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #127 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I decided on a NS before I even joined this site.

I like the low key graphics and the durability of the boards. The only thing I dislike about NS is all the boards feel heavier than the competition. It really does not affect my riding though.
I still ride my 09 Burton Supermodel a lot too.. I would of went with a new one but the ICS system is retarded (Not so much the system, but the fact that you have to pay extra for EST Bindings, they're pulling some Apple shit on us! )

I don't think anyone is really hyping it up, I think it has a lot to with with the age of the forum members as someone else stated. I've seen all those guys rave over other boards.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #128 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Those four members were hand picked by ME based on MY personal experience with them as riders and industry professionals. I asked them to become members here to post their reviews for the benefit of YOU the members. I have my own website that I can easily use and not put up with this whiny crybaby bullshit. These people are proving YOU a service and before they have posted their first review, you are shitting all over them.

What is ironic is that for all the tinfoil hat conspiracy kook whining and accusing you are all doing, so far the only "shoving down throats" or attempted silencing I see going on is from you people attempting to shut up the people who want to give reviews. Show me one single thread where any supporter of Neversummer has attempted to silence the voices of other brands.
Politically it is very hard to do something like what you guys are accomplishing without asking the community first.

If it had gone something like this.

"Hey SBF we want to assemble a team of riders from your community to represent NS and help us design better products"

You would have had a much better response.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #129 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Politically it is very hard to do something like what you guys are accomplishing without asking the community first.

If it had gone something like this.

"Hey SBF we want to assemble a team of riders from your community to represent NS and help us design better products"

You would have had a much better response.
Have you been on other forums? This shit happens all the time.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #130 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Those four members were hand picked by ME based on MY personal experience with them as riders and industry professionals. I asked them to become members here to post their reviews for the benefit of YOU the members. I have my own website that I can easily use and not put up with this whiny crybaby bullshit. These people are proving YOU a service and before they have posted their first review, you are shitting all over them.

What is ironic is that for all the tinfoil hat conspiracy kook whining and accusing you are all doing, so far the only "shoving down throats" or attempted silencing I see going on is from you people attempting to shut up the people who want to give reviews. Show me one single thread where any supporter of Neversummer has attempted to silence the voices of other brands.
Hang on. Snowolf, I'm not sure if you're directing most of that at me but as I said in earlier posts, it has nothing to do with why they were chosen. I congratulate you and other pre-SBF/NSDT members. I'm trying to be helpful to you ALL by expressing my opinion on how it might appear. That's all. No whiny cry baby over here! And, I'm certainly not "shitting all over them." I don't even know who they are yet.

I will question how exactly their service benefits ME as a forum member to have yet even more exposure for a brand I may not be interested in on a forum where the brand is already heavily peppered throughout. At this point, I have more knowledge of NS than I ever was interested in knowing. Which is FINE. I enjoy learning new things. And I appreciate the time members take to respond and post their personal opinions and reviews on different gear.

But if you want to know what would help out other members here including myself? A SBF Women's Board Testing Review Team
Closed Thread