Never Summer's...what's the story?? - Page 14 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #131 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
And if that is true, then call it what it is: Advertising.

Which is FINE. If it's marketing using an unbiased test team, design team, whatever it's fine. But call it what it is then if it's not what it appears to be.

I have to say the hostility in responses is NOT helping their cause imo.
It's not advertising, it's exposure. Neversummer isn't asking me to sell their boards. They're asking me to give them, and you, an honest opinion. I can't speak for the other design team members, but that is what I plan on doing.

I would have never stepped foot on a Never Summer board because they have never appealed to me. But now they're making a solid effort to develop their park/freestyle boards the same way they've done with their big mountain stuff. My plan is to ride the boards, figure out what they need to get rid of, what they need to keep, and what they need to add, and I'll share that with everyone. My opinion doesn't trump anyones. If someone's got something to add about a product I'm on, anyone is welcome to chime in.

Last edited by Extremo; 01-31-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Extremo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #132 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Varza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
But if you want to know what would help out other members here including myself? A SBF Women's Board Testing Review Team
Oh, that would be sweeeeet! I had a bit of a hard time researching women's boards, since I read (on here I think it was) that some are just "men's boards sized down", and as such don't work quite as well for a lady as a board that was specifically design with her in mind.

Sorry, off-topic. I don't want to be a part of this It is what it is. Carry on.
Varza is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #133 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
 
poutanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
But if you want to know what would help out other members here including myself? A SBF Women's Board Testing Review Team
+1!!! I will say that unbiased reviews are excellent. We need more of them in general. I find this forum somewhat like tripadvisor. I post reviews of stuff I buy, in the hopes that it'll help other people make a decision, and in turn I hope to get the same help back.

Do I give a shit if anybody else buys a Burton or a Virus after I've wrote something positive about them? Nope. I don't get a cent out of it, or free gear, or anything. I just hope to inspire other people to write reviews of their gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Politically it is very hard to do something like what you guys are accomplishing without asking the community first.

If it had gone something like this.

"Hey SBF we want to assemble a team of riders from your community to represent NS and help us design better products"
This is a dictatorship, not a democracy! And I am apparently not part of the politburo ...
poutanen is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #134 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

I'm not singling you out or being hostile Eat. I'm not being hostile to anyone. Actually, the reverse is true in my mind. I'm getting hostility as a Design Team member.

Countless comments insinuating that we are going to biased because of free gear. Yet over and over my point is ignored that myself and others have access to other free gear and have had that access for quite some time. The other point being ignored that a lot of the other team members were pre-existing NS customers.

I do agree some bias will result. That's human nature and you can't knock anyone for that. You even have bias as a person who purchases a product because now you have to deal with the fact that you spent a good chunk of change on the product. In fact, it could be argued that people who pay for their gear are much more prone to bias. Which actually supports my prior point that the NS hype is from customers, not the Design Team or NS themselves.

Hopefully some of you can understand this and still treat our reviews like you did before we became a part of the NS Design Team.

By the way Eat, I'll happily join your review team so go on ahead and send me some gear.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #135 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Politically it is very hard to do something like what you guys are accomplishing without asking the community first.

If it had gone something like this.

"Hey SBF we want to assemble a team of riders from your community to represent NS and help us design better products"

You would have had a much better response.
This is what happened. The riders were messaged with something very similar to that.

You really expect NS or any other company to make a public post about it? How much spam and PMing do you think would result with people begging to be a tester?

Be real about this Binary.

NS reached out to members of this community privately and for good reason.

Then NS wanted to make the announcement of this endeavor, but people like YOU had to leak the post before-hand. That obviously made things look shady to outsiders which is why that thread was made visible shortly after your leak.
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #136 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
It's not advertising, it's exposure. Neversummer isn't asking me to sell their boards. They're asking me to give them, and you, an honest opinion. I can't speak for the other design team members, but that is what I plan on doing.

I would have never stepped foot on a Never Summer board because they have never appealed to me. But now they're making a solid effort to develop their park/freestyle boards the same way they've done with their big mountain stuff. My plan is to ride the boards, figure out what they need to get rid of, what they need to keep, and what they need to add. And my opinion doesn't trump anyones. If someone's got something to add about a product I'm on, anyone is welcome to chime in.
I get it. Like I said, I really don't have a problem with it. It just seems odd that one brand would have an official sbf related presence/entity and some raising of eyebrows is to be expected.

This level of exposure is smart advertising. No denying that. Again, not a problem. NS might not be asking you, Extremo, to "sell" their boards. But every post, comment, etc on the brand will benefit the brand in the end. Whether their intent is to bring a better product to the industry or generate talk then cash out in the end doesn't really matter when it comes to exposure. It appears the intent of NSDT is the former, which is solid. But even bad press is good press as it's said. I commend NS for a brilliant exposure strategy. Very smart
EatRideSleep is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #137 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Swiss Alps
Posts: 84
Default

Insert Cartman voice

Screw you guys, I'm going to Unity.
__________________
Man, the Internet sounds like a tuff place to ride.
Rockpen is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #138 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz
 
seriouscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 511
Blog Entries: 6
Default Never Summer's...what's the story??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I made this decision and I stand by it. You people have a choice to make; either accept it and give it a chance to work or leave. I will say this however, just as we closed the politics section because the bickering became overly problematic, with 2 clicks of the mouse, we can disable the entire equipment section so that no one reviews ANY board so its fair. Keep pushing the issue and trying to silence honest review and that is exactly what will happen.
Sorry wolf I am going to disagree. As a bystander who could care less about any of the previous post above, I would say your point there is completely invalid.

Yes it is a private forum. But if vertical sports is interested in this as a business, then shutting down equipment review is equivalent to suicide. Political forums (which I never did visit) serves no purpose other than a traffic generator. Shutting down equipment reviews, and it more than halves my interest as a member to be here.
__________________
I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs. Alexander Karelin

Last edited by seriouscat; 01-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
seriouscat is online now  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #139 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
binarypie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kirkwood, Lake Tahoe, CA
Posts: 561
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
This is what happened. The riders were messaged with something very similar to that.

You really expect NS or any other company to make a public post about it? How much spam and PMing do you think would result with people begging to be a tester?

Be real about this Binary.

NS reached out to members of this community privately and for good reason.

Then NS wanted to make the announcement of this endeavor, but people like YOU had to leak the post before-hand. That obviously made things look shady to outsiders which is why that thread was made visible shortly after your leak.
Yeah because I'm the only person on this forum who clicks "New Posts" at the top of the page?

Although, I will admit I'm the only one who probably has google alerts around these brands and others despite the fact I'm not a blogger.


Oh and lets be real.

A public posting claiming "we are forming a team" is very different than "PM: hey scott we want you to hand pick riders for our super secret dev team" ...

If you did the first then the second. You would be just fine and no one would be pissed at you.
__________________
I am a Vermonter living in California showing the locals how to keep it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.

Last edited by binarypie; 01-31-2013 at 02:31 PM.
binarypie is offline  
Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #140 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Quebec, QC
Posts: 367
Default Re: Never Summer's...what's the story??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

Then NS wanted to make the announcement of this endeavor, but people like YOU had to leak the post before-hand. That obviously made things look shady to outsiders which is why that thread was made visible shortly after your leak.
To be honest, he just posted a link to a thread which I (and most likely others) had access to since Vince's first post in it. It's not like he did any kind of hacking.

I personnally think the Design Team is s good idea.

Maybe you should talk Burton into having its design team and section on the forum... That would even things out
SimonB is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums