Never Summer's...what's the story?? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Triple8Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,059
Blog Entries: 2
Default

I bought my first NS board 4yrs ago after a recommendation from a friend. They've all been so sick so I've owned so many since then, but at the same time I've also owned 20+ Bataleons/Lib/Gnus/Arbor/Ride/K2/Nitro boards during the same period of time. They've become very popular on SBF for good reason, and I think it's a great thing. I'm starting to see a few more on the hill but still pretty few and far between, and much more rare than Burton, Lib/Gnu, Capita, etc... around here. What some of you haters need to realize that this forum represents a small percentage of the snowboarding community as a whole, and so when people on here find great products, they end up sharing that insight. Local shops like SnoCon & Evo only started carrying NS in their stores a year or two ago, only started carrying Bataleon like 3yrs ago, etc...
__________________
15 NS Ripsaw . 14 NS Proto HD . 14 NS Cobra . 13 Gnu Space Case EC2 . 2013 Salomon Pow Snake
14 Now Drive . 13 Now IPO
14 Flow Hylite
Triple8Sol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
john doe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,387
Default

There is a lot of NS love on this forum but there is also very little hating on other brands. There is no fanboy hate like you find with the Android/Iphone or Playstation/Xbox. The fact is that recommending a NS is damn near idiot proof. It may not be the best board but every board they make is damn good and worth the money.
__________________

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rides Caturdayz
 
seriouscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 510
Blog Entries: 6
Default

I think it is a serendipity of the general age of the user group here and the NS target segment. I get the sense that the posters are older than some of the other forums out there. So then let's review:

1. They hit a market segment that seems to be ignored (older dedicated riders with regular jobs who are perhaps less "rad") The graphics imo are hit and miss. I personally love their big mountain graphics and 2012 raptor/ 2013 infinity. However they are all very understated, which matches the segment well.

2. While they don't have crazy top end prices, the avg price of the line is up there. Not likely to be purchased by kids/casual riders.

3. More of a boutique brand, especially in Canada. Check mark on the image factor. Compounded by point #2 above. This is independent of the product of itself, but would be something that this market segment would be willing to spend extra money on.

4. It actually is pretty damp ride (older crowd/maybe bad knees) and durable (I rammed my raptor into a big ass rock and nothing happened beside some edge sharpening.) All qualities that would cement it in the minds of the target segment.

5. RC shape and vario works good in big mountain conditions. A lot of users here are from out west or take big mountain trips.

6. Carbonium is "cool" (see point 2&3)

Combine all of these with actual rep representation and you got a perfect storm of fanboism.
__________________
I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs. Alexander Karelin
seriouscat is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
CK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 98
Default

I was actually getting ready to buy a Never Summer until I went to a demo they had at Keystone. I loved the idea of supporting a local company. Two things changed my mind. The first guy I dealt with was really cool. He took the time to explain their boards to me and got me set up for a demo. When I came back from a few runs, it totally changed. The people there were ignorant A$$holes. They acted like they were above everybody else. They were treating other people who where there like dirt. Rolling eyes, ignoring and treating them like there were stupid. It really turned me off to how they could be acting like that.

The second reason is a shirt one of the guys was wearing. All of the employees were wearing a NS shirt except one. He was wearing a shirt that was religion bashing. Now I have no issues with people wearing any shirt, but wear it where it is appropriate. While he was there, he is acting as an ambassador to the company. That tells me that the company condones that type of views because he was representing Never Summer.

I tried to contact NS to talk to them about my experience--I got the runaround and no results. If a company is going to treat potential customers like dirt, I will not support them. When people ask me about a good board company they should look into, I tell them about the people at NS and everyone of them have ended up not buying a NS. I continue to share my experience and find more people agree than not.

There are plenty of companies that make great boards, so it comes down to how well they treat other people and customers. At this point, I will never buy a NS solely on the ethics of their company.

My opinion anyway

Last edited by CK93; 01-30-2013 at 09:42 AM.
CK93 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK93 View Post
I was actually getting ready to buy a Never Summer until I went to a demo they had at Keystone. I loved the idea of supporting a local company. Two things changed my mind. The first guy I dealt with was really cool. He took the time to explain their boards to me and got me set up for a demo. When I came back from a a few runs, it totally changed. The people there were ignorant A$$holes. They acted like they were above everybody else. They were treating other people who where there like dirt. Rolling eyes, ignoring and treating them like there were stupid. It really turned me off to how they could be acting like that.

The second reason is a shirt one of the guys was wearing. All of the employees were wearing a NS shirt except one. He was wearing a shirt that was religion bashing. Now I have no issues with people wearing any shirt, but wear it where it is appropriate. While he was there, he is acting as an ambassador to the company. That tells me that the company condones that type of views because he was representing Never Summer.

I tried to contact NS to talk to them about my experience--I got the runaround and no results. If a company is going to treat potential customers like dirt, I will not support them. When people ask me about a good board company they should look into, I tell them about the people at NS and everyone of them have ended up not buying a NS. I continue to share my experience and find more people agree with than not.

There are plenty of companies that make great boards, so it comes down to how well they treat other people and customers. At this point, I will never buy a NS solely on the ethics of their company.

My opinion anyway
So what company did you go with and why? Just curious if you interacted with reps from that company and how it went.
Karpediem is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
CK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 98
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpediem View Post
So what company did you go with and why? Just curious if you interacted with reps from that company and how it went.
Well I ended up going with a Burton and Lib Tech. I have never met any reps from those companies. I went to Christy Sports and was treated Excellent there. So I ended up buying 2 boards from them. I like to support people and companies that have not lost "Customer Service" If the reps for Lib Tech and Burton are royal pains, I hope I never meet them LOL. I bought the Burton and Lib Tech based on research and recommendation of the sales guy that helped me, I trust his recommendations. But again, Christy Sports treats me great and I continue to spent my hard earned cash there.

Last edited by CK93; 01-30-2013 at 09:53 AM.
CK93 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 13
Default

I think you raise a right point here, sometime to much NS . But I own several NS boards. I think I went through a lot of stuff before stop at this branch. I had Burton, Lib Tech, Gnu, K2, Plamer .

Don't like NS graphic, but their stuff is dead right just like people review here.
Their quality is top notch, haven't found anything close to them except high-end Burton board. The price is pretty decent for compare with other . All of that may explain why there are too much NS. Still looking for something different ..., but for now I stuck with it.
JasonFox is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 AM   #18 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Detroit Area
Posts: 6,230
Default

I don't understand some of you guys. A brand makes it big and saturates the market and you guys complain they aren't core or are too much of a big business. Yes, I'm talking about Burton.

Then you complain about the small guys not being more popular.

And now you're complaining about a small American brand becoming popular on an Internet forum?

You guys just can't be pleased can you?

Here's my personal background on my stance with NS. I worked for a retailer for the past 3 years. I have access to a ton of boards. I have demoed more than I can count. I get discounts on all of these boards. I get rewards at work which I can use to get free boards. Yet, I now mainly ride NS. Not because I get boards from them (like I stated, I can get boards easily from most major brands), but because I like their product and business model too.

I've been anti-hype on other products like the Skate Banana and Union bindings. It's really not about that. I got curious about NS boards and was offered to test them out. After doing so, I understood why they are so popular. Very solid boards and easily competes with the big name brands out there. I honestly like their RC better than others.

They aren't perfect, no one is... but you can't knock them for making quality snowboards. If you don't like it, then don't ride it. It's silly to sit there and talk other people out of buying an NS just because it's "hyped" around here. It's silly to turn people away with reasons like "their graphics suck."

How about some actual feedback on the qualities you dislike about the performance of their boards? Because you know what? That "rep" you mentioned as well as testers on here will read your critique. And that critique just might cause NS to change up their tech.

They've already changed their graphics countless times because of feedback from this very forum. I mean come on, they created an entirely new board based mostly on Snowolf's feedback on the Heritage.

What company will come into a small Internet forum to do that?
__________________
www.aGNARchy.com Reviews and David Z's rants
Leo is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Brands get hyped because they're the shit, that's the bottom line so get use to it. NS has their shit together and they're getting hyped for a reason. You think they're hyped now? Wait until next years boards hit the market. Their tech is getting better every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I've been anti-hype on other products like the Skate Banana and Union bindings.
It's funny you say that because Union went through the same thing you're seeing with Never Summer now (I agree the skate banana rides like a $10 whore). I got on Unions 6 years ago and hyped the shit out of them because they're solid. Within 2 years BA and Nivek make it their personal Jihad to take the brand down. NS better be ready for the same shit.

In my experience with NS so far...pretty legit.

Last edited by Extremo; 01-30-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Meh.
Extremo is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A.
Posts: 137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK93 View Post
I was actually getting ready to buy a Never Summer until I went to a demo they had at Keystone. I loved the idea of supporting a local company. Two things changed my mind. The first guy I dealt with was really cool. He took the time to explain their boards to me and got me set up for a demo. When I came back from a few runs, it totally changed. The people there were ignorant A$$holes. They acted like they were above everybody else. They were treating other people who where there like dirt. Rolling eyes, ignoring and treating them like there were stupid. It really turned me off to how they could be acting like that.

The second reason is a shirt one of the guys was wearing. All of the employees were wearing a NS shirt except one. He was wearing a shirt that was religion bashing. Now I have no issues with people wearing any shirt, but wear it where it is appropriate. While he was there, he is acting as an ambassador to the company. That tells me that the company condones that type of views because he was representing Never Summer.

I tried to contact NS to talk to them about my experience--I got the runaround and no results. If a company is going to treat potential customers like dirt, I will not support them. When people ask me about a good board company they should look into, I tell them about the people at NS and everyone of them have ended up not buying a NS. I continue to share my experience and find more people agree than not.

There are plenty of companies that make great boards, so it comes down to how well they treat other people and customers. At this point, I will never buy a NS solely on the ethics of their company.

My opinion anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK93 View Post
Well I ended up going with a Burton and Lib Tech. I have never met any reps from those companies. I went to Christy Sports and was treated Excellent there. So I ended up buying 2 boards from them. I like to support people and companies that have not lost "Customer Service" If the reps for Lib Tech and Burton are royal pains, I hope I never meet them LOL. I bought the Burton and Lib Tech based on research and recommendation of the sales guy that helped me, I trust his recommendations. But again, Christy Sports treats me great and I continue to spent my hard earned cash there.
Isnt Mervin's logo a pentagram with a goat-headed satan? LOL
RJRJRJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums