Never Summer's...what's the story?? - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #41 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,361
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauba View Post
So, I get the impression this is a continually talked about touchy subject?? I'm new to the forum and didn't know, but I am actually glad I asked the question. I think I get it now. There have been some valid points made here I think. Hopefully other newbies looking into NS will check out this post too, just so they can make an educated purchase.

I got an Infinity a few weeks ago based almost solely on the information found on this forum. I still haven't decided if its all that or not. It could be.
You have to take some responsibilty for your choice and purchase. I would think that at the very least in addition to polling this group you should also go to the mfr's websites and read their stuff, specs and so on, and maybe read a couple other boards or sources of info.

I've been reading this forum for a few years and I've noticed a little less burton hating lately, a tad less Lib Tech fanboyism, and that a lot of people around here dig Never Summer, and it changes from year to year.

These are just discussion forums, it's not like it's Consumer Reports with a mission statement for objectivity, asking a question here and other similar forums will get you a bunch of opinions rather than a structured review like Edmunds does for cars for example.
Lamps is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
CK93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 98
Default

Ok I am bailing out now, this has taken a different turn to what the guy posted intended. Sorry for being apart of it.

But this is not about a companies or person religious views. Its how a company/business portrays itself. You think Disney would let an employee get interviewed on tv wearing a shirt with a picture of a woman getting raped on it? No, because by that guy working for Disney and representing them for the interview would be in appropriate. But wearing that shirt at a night club would be no issue. I don't get why that is such a hard idea to understand.

And even if the Mervin logo was on the board, it wouldn't have stopped me from buying it. This is being twisted from what I was trying to say.
CK93 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #43 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
Cr0_Reps_Smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SMiThville, NJ (Summit County in winter)
Posts: 1,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Isn't that how you make your living? Echelon ads on Angrysnowboarder and 3 of their boards end up on your 2013 best board list?
there's a phunkshun neck wear ad on there but i don't think i've ever seen a echelon ad on his site.
__________________
Cr0_Reps_Smit is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #44 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0_Reps_Smit View Post
there's a phunkshun neck wear ad on there but i don't think i've ever seen a echelon ad on his site.
Not that I care either way but it's there. I just took this screen shot.

Again though, whatever. I trust him if he says something is good or not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asb.jpg (118.7 KB, 228 views)
__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2013/2014 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 14
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
You have to take some responsibilty for your choice and purchase. I would think that at the very least in addition to polling this group you should also go to the mfr's websites and read their stuff, specs and so on, and maybe read a couple other boards or sources of info.

I've been reading this forum for a few years and I've noticed a little less burton hating lately, a tad less Lib Tech fanboyism, and that a lot of people around here dig Never Summer, and it changes from year to year.

These are just discussion forums, it's not like it's Consumer Reports with a mission statement for objectivity, asking a question here and other similar forums will get you a bunch of opinions rather than a structured review like Edmunds does for cars for example.
I take full responsibility for my purchase. I don't think I've whined about it at all. I'm not even sure I regret it. I did a TON of research. The problem was, outside of sbf.com, I really couldn't find much on NS except what was on the NS site and a few (less than 5) independent reviews. Trust me...I looked. I spent the better part of 2 weeks, and I'm talking hours a day, reading everything I could find about different boards. I narrowed it down to 4 or 5 and researched the hell out of those boards. I can explain to you, in detail, the manufactures sites and board info. I demo'd boards for 5 days. In that 5 days, I probably rode 15 boards. Demoing a NS wasn't an option...I wish. How could I have taken more responsibility for my choice/purchase?
Bauba is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Well since you already own one you should do a review. Being new to the RC hybrid profile myself I'd like to hear if we share a similar experience. It'll be valuable for others coming here to hear your experiences as well. Def keep us posted.
I plan on doing a review as soon as I really nail down how I feel about it. I want to make sure Ive given it a fair shot and can accurately review it. If it turns out I don't love it, I want to be able to identify why. I don't want to turn others away from a board that may be awesome for them, just because it didn't fit my riding style technique etc.
Bauba is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Treegreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauba View Post
I take full responsibility for my purchase. I don't think I've whined about it at all. I'm not even sure I regret it. I did a TON of research. The problem was, outside of sbf.com, I really couldn't find much on NS except what was on the NS site and a few (less than 5) independent reviews. Trust me...I looked. I spent the better part of 2 weeks, and I'm talking hours a day, reading everything I could find about different boards. I narrowed it down to 4 or 5 and researched the hell out of those boards. I can explain to you, in detail, the manufactures sites and board info. I demo'd boards for 5 days. In that 5 days, I probably rode 15 boards. Demoing a NS wasn't an option...I wish. How could I have taken more responsibility for my choice/purchase?
I'm fairly new to the forum as well, but I think to be totally fair I've noticed people getting a lot of great brand suggestions on most of the "What board should I get posts." Sure, NS has a big presence here, but I don't think I've come across many (if any) posts where a person asking for advice did not get a fairly wide range of boards. I've also noticed the ladies seem to steer people in a different direction with a lot of Roxy love, some Rossignol, and a little Rome. I've also noticed in suggestion posts that people make note of the fact that the NS profile is not for everyone.
Treegreen is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Veteran Member
 
redlude97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle/Portland
Posts: 1,068
Default

I think the NS story here on SBF has two parts. For those that have been around for awhile, you will remember 4 years ago with NS was the first company to push hybrid Camber/Rocker/Camber while most of the big companies where still on the straight rocker craze. Back then I think the hype was legitimetly about the tech and how much better it rode than many of the other now defunct rockers. Without that initial inovation NS wouldn't be where it was today, no matter how many boards they sent to members here.

Today with most companies employing some type of hybrid camber/rocker combination, the advantages of NS are maybe not as pronounced and its more about build/aesthetics/tech/dampness and to some extent hype. I often see threads where NS is suggested for people for no particular reason, when I don't think its actually the easiest hybrid rocker to learn on, RCR feels a lot different than CRC or variations and yet people will say things along the lines of it being the best board ever! when each person's preference may vary.

I have tried quite a few lifted contact point technologies now from TBT, full rocker, RCR, and CRC of various companies and find I like CRC the best so I generally ride NS RC Tech/GNU C2 BTX. Each type has its benefits and drawbacks however and you have to sift through the answers because most people haven't ridden enough boards to really provide a good answer. I think this is where some of the NS hype is getting out of hand and why there is starting to be some anti-hype backlash when other companies make boards that ride similarly now. 4 years ago that just wasn't the case.
redlude97 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #49 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
Extremo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NH
Posts: 3,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabatoa View Post
Not that I care either way but it's there. I just took this screen shot.

Again though, whatever. I trust him if he says something is good or not.
Yeah, I'm not disputing whether they're good or not. I'm just pointing out that if you introduce people to a product and they like it, they'll hype it.
Extremo is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #50 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
 
sabatoa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Yeah, I'm not disputing whether they're good or not. I'm just pointing out that if you introduce people to a product and they like it, they'll hype it.
For sure.

10char
__________________
'12 NS Legacy 163
Days on snow 2013/2014 season:
  • Boyne Highlands: 14
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums