Suggestions for a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Suggestions for a new board

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some ideas on what snowboards are recommended for me. I am probably considered a beginner almost intermediate and I currently own a 2nd hand 149 burton feelgood which I find is a bit unforgiving on the slopes for someone like me.
So I am looking for a shorter board which has a softer forgiving flex and good for riding in our Australian snow conditions (not much deep powder and sometimes snow is quite firm).
I'd prefer an all mountain board where I can eventually use at parks as well in the future since I already have a feelgood. But for now I will only be using the board to cruise around down the groomed slopes until I become more confident with my skills.

I am 172cm (5' 7"), 53kg(120lbs), boot size US 8 and am fine with any stance.
I've had my eyes on the 149 Rome Vinyl, 146 Burton Troop, 147 Ride Rapture or 145 Gnu B-nice.
What do you think of those boards and any other recommendations suitable for me?

Thanks in advanced for the help

Last edited by Rosen; 07-06-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
con3593

this forum is widely rome supported so I would bet your gonna get mostly replies saying get the rome board. but I know never summer makes some good boards, and ive heard good thing about atomic aswell. My local boardshop owner swears by forum/5150 so I mean, theres alot out there, but I am tooo hungover today to do anything extensive for ya
Old 07-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Well said con . I am big big supporter of Rome, but I am not familiar with their ladies line up. Of what I read the vinyl is like the Agent, that's what I have and it's an amazing board and great as a all mountain board.

Burton well lets just say that is mostly about the name, you can get better products for cheaper with other well known brands.

Atomic is well known for their good products, but once again I am not familiar with their ladies line. If you don't mind riding a guys board I would recommend the cold smoke and radon as good all mountain boards. After a little research I found Tuesday and Tika try to find some reviews about them, or even if you have extra $$$ get the Atomic Polarity.

Also Gnu, ride and forum are all solid brands, you will not be disappointed with these brands. Try to find some reviews, I am not sure how easy they are going to be to find, but there have to be some out there.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've decided to go for the Rome Vinyl, but I cannot decide which board size to choose.

Currently with my 149 feelgood (waist width 239) and size 8 boots, the board sits just below my chin and the tip of my boot just appears over the edge but doesn't touch the ground when I turn toe side.

I was thinking that since in Australia we don't get to ride deep powder that I'd go for a shorter board where I'd have more control and get a board which the waist width can go as narrow as possible without having toe drags from the boot when carving. So I used the frostyrider.com snowboard calculater and found that the minimum length/waist width of snowboard I can start from is 145/235.

That is why I can't decide between the 143/238, 146/240, 149/242. I feel that the 146 would be the suitable length for me since the recommended weight range is (80-125 lbs) but the waist seems a bit wide?
Where as the waist width on the 143 would be perfect but I'm worried that the board maybe too short and I am too heavy for it (weight range 70-110 lbs).

Last edited by Rosen; 07-06-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote