Dakine Edge tool for sharpening - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Dakine Edge tool for sharpening

I recently got my edges beveled at 1/1 at a shop. I have all the tools from a Dakine Deluxe Tune Kit, so I'm trying to avoid going to the tune shop from here on out and just do maintenance myself. I know how to wax and remove burrs, but now I want to know how the heck to use this edge tool.

I've heard people explain it before and even seen videos, but I really don't know what slot to put the file in, how to position it on the board, etc. Its probably self-explanatory but I'm worried about screwing up my board. So can somebody please dumb it down for me, or show me a video where you can actually see a close-up of whats happening?
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you got a 1/1 bevel at the shop you can't use that tool to maintain your 90 degree edge. You shouldn't really be doing that yourself anyways. Pick up a diamond stone and gummy stone(if they aren't in your kit) and use those when you need to remove burrs and polish the edges. You can do that free hand for the most part.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How bout sharpening edges? Is this something i should be doing myself with my 1/1 bevel?
onthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Those Dakine edge tool bought as part of a kit package only does the side edges but not the base edges. Anyway many people would recommend to leave the base edge to the professionals, it's controversial but you have done that already anyway.

Since your shop has tuned your side edge to a one degree bevel, to maintain it sharp after rides, you should use fine daimond stones of the grit order 1200 or even higher to do the job. But the prerequisite is that your Dakine edge tool's default angle has to be 1 degree as well. Say if your Dakine edge tool default angle is 2 degrees or 0 degrees, that will alter your 1 degree angle made by your shop.

You also need to make sure that the slot length of your Dakine edge tool is longer than the diamond stone. Most of these are around 6 to 7 cms. But if your diamond stone is 7cm and the slot in your Dakine edge tool is 6cm, your stone just cannot fit into the slot.
ig88 is offline   Reply With Quote