Which Snowboard Help? NS/Bataleon etc - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Snowboard Help? NS/Bataleon etc

Hey,

So i'm lost in the world of boards. A bit about me, Im 6ft4, 190lb, size 11 feet (29.5 Mondo). Love going fast, powder, carving and hitting jumps. Not so much in to rails but will do occasionally.

Recently rode my friends bataleon evil twin 156wide. Very fun, playful board but at higher speeds it didnt hold an edge for me too well (maybe due to length and conditions). On ice I struggled like crazy and in powder it sunk (again length?...). Borrowed a 160/162 (cant remember) off another friend K2 Cambered board which held an edge far better and felt much better in powder and ice than the bataleon. The stiffness of the bataleon felt right for me

My question to you is what advice do you have for me looking for a board? I've looked at Neversummer Legacy and HeritageX and the Bataleon Goliath which all seem nice, my trouble is I cant really test any of these boards out properly apart from at my local snowdome where i dont get to test Ice or Powder performance.

Rocker/camber and that inbetween still confuses me with regards to ice etc, some say camber wins some say a hybrid wins for edge hold...who am I to know? I've read the forum guides here and still am unsure!

I'd be after a directional twin or true twin since i ride both ways (the jokes are too easy). I dont really have a preferred stance, maybe slightly stronger regular but tend to equally practice in both stances and i want to keep it that way if its feasible.

Im pretty much open to any brand and suggestions. I like the idea of Burtons channel system for complete stance customisation and ease of adjustability since i tend to fiddle quite a lot.

Would 162 be about the right length board for me? I'm after a do-it-all board.

Thanks for any suggestions guys

Last edited by smokebelch109; 02-02-2013 at 04:13 AM.
smokebelch109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Look into the Never Summer SL. It's a true twin, all mountain destroyer. It handles powder days with easy, bombs hills easily, and the rocker-camber tech makes great edge holding for carves. Another board you should look at is the GNU Billy Goat. I haven't been up to date with Gnu but from what I remember it's a beast of a board. I always suggest to people before the buy to demo it. Or ask the shop keeper if they can return it if they don't like it. That being said check those boards out, try them, and if you don't like them try another one.
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinMonLV View Post
Look into the Never Summer SL. It's a true twin, all mountain destroyer. It handles powder days with easy, bombs hills easily, and the rocker-camber tech makes great edge holding for carves. Another board you should look at is the GNU Billy Goat. I haven't been up to date with Gnu but from what I remember it's a beast of a board. I always suggest to people before the buy to demo it. Or ask the shop keeper if they can return it if they don't like it. That being said check those boards out, try them, and if you don't like them try another one.
The SL is not a true twin
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinMonLV View Post
Hey, The Legacy is the wide version of the SL, i need wide because of the size of my feet! Good to know i'm kinda looking in the right area's though
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry, my bad the SL isn't twin.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokebelch109 View Post
Hey, The Legacy is the wide version of the SL, i need wide because of the size of my feet! Good to know i'm kinda looking in the right area's though
You might also like the Capita Black Snowboard of Death. It's a really good POW and speed board. But it's not as damp as NS boards.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Will look in to that one, was hoping for insight as to which neversummer board(s) i should be looking at?

Legacy/Cobra/Heritage etc

All need to be wide boards. If anyone has any advice on which i should be favouring i'd really appreciate it
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Generally you do not need a wide board with a size 11, obviously depends on board but going wide would be the exception not the norm. As far as length you should be looking at boards in the 160+ range IMO. 158/9 bare minimum but would be more suited towards on piste freestyle. If you want edge hold there is no substitute for camber between and past your feet.

Last edited by jpb3; 02-01-2013 at 07:29 PM.
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry i mean size 11 uk. so size 11.5-12 US.

Thanks for the camber explanation! Exactly what i needed.

Will bare in mind 160+, thanks dude.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Double check you need a wide. With that big of a board, you may be able to get away with a normal sized board, which will be better for turn initiation.

As a 7.5 booter myself, if you can go narrow, go narrow

Remember if you duck your stance, the boots don't overhang that much.

You struggled on ice and powder I think because of TBT (ice) and camber (powder). Others who have ridden TBT can comment but I do remember Snowolf or someone else saying the TBT is weird when it comes to grip.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote