Half giant looking for a good starter equip. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
refIV

Default Half giant looking for a good starter equip.

My name is ray, I am a beginner with some basics on my belt. I see myself as a freerider more and not really a freestyle rider. I am 27 and live on the (ice/east) coast. I have been out probably about 4 different seasons ( about 5 days each ) I have rented all the way and tired of renting. I am 6'1" and 195 lbs. I have a 12/12.5 boot size. I am looking to get a board about 155-160 in length. So far my budget is looking tight so I am not trying to go crazy. I am planning on ivesting in the board more than the bindings or boots. The boards I have looked at so far are the Morrow radium and the Morrow Clutch. Any suggestions/ recommendations would be awesome. (sorry so long winded)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

For my first set I made the fatal mistake on buying a good board and bad bindings and boots. Bindings and boots are extremely important to a rider, buy good ones, trust me you will regret it later on.

as for the board goes i think the lowest you should go in size is a 158 and that is for a pure freestyle deck. For all mountain board look for something in the 162-163 range and for pure powder 165 (not that you need one in the ice coast ). You got big feet so you need a wide board, something with a waist of 258 should be great, but those are hard to find. If you get something with less waist you might need to get risers to avoid shoe drag.

I would have to look for specific boards, but just letting you know about that. Don't be cheap with the boots.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
refIV

awesome thank you for the advice. I def. won't skimp on the boots and bindings. So I guess I should buy separate? Can you get good ones in a combo package? I am a bit on a budget. I really appreciate the help.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Combos are usually crappy, now that does not always stand true.

Whatever you buy, stay with well know brands such as; Forum, Ride, Rome, Burton, gnu, lib tech, some K2's boards, Salomon Makes the best boots out there, Atomic boards.

This is what I recommend, you still have a few months before season starts. Buy one thing at a time, when you get enough money for the next thing go get it. Trust me on this one, you don't want to buy crap.

Whats your current budget?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
refIV

Right now I am looking at a budget for about $400- $500 total for everything. (my wife and I are in the process of moving into a bigger place pretty far away this summer) I gotta try some stuff on. Would it be possible to stay within that budget for good stuff?

Last edited by refIV; 07-08-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

$500 is doable, search around, look for good deals, remember its end of season a lot of sales. Stay within the size of board I recommended and brands.

If you have further questions let us know, someone will help you out here.

About the boots , try fitting them on before buying. Go to your local store try different sets out and then look for a better price on the web. Salomon makes the best boots and fit true to size, but feet are different and some boots might not feel comfy on your feet.

I ride a A Rome Agent board and I love it, I also have Rome 390 bindings they are amazing, very comfortable and responsive.

You could go for 161 also in the board size, but I think the 162 would be a bit better.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
refIV

Totally thank you so much for the advice. I was thinking of this combo flow bindings the flow flite2s, and for boot I was looking at the salomon brigades and the Salomon tempest board it is 162 and the width says 26.6cm but I am def. trying on some boots before solidifying a decision.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

I never used Salomon boards, so I cant help you there. I know their boots are great.

Some people love the flows, personally not sure how they are. I have never even rode one pair. Love a Rome Arsenals, 390's or even the Targas for your bindings
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
true_richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply^Ride View Post
as for the board goes i think the lowest you should go in size is a 158 and that is for a pure freestyle deck. For all mountain board look for something in the 162-163 range and for pure powder 165 (not that you need one in the ice coast ). You got big feet so you need a wide board, something with a waist of 258 should be great, but those are hard to find. If you get something with less waist you might need to get risers to avoid shoe drag.

I would have to look for specific boards, but just letting you know about that. Don't be cheap with the boots.
not thaaat hard to find. the board i ride all over the place now is our 159cm wide twin tip w/ a 260mm waist.

or for a directional board vs. twin, we've got a 163 with a 258mm waist.

we "have" (may be sold out) directional twin freestyle/freeride boards w/ waist widths all the way up to 272mm on the 167 model... so wide boards for us big guys aren't impossible to find.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

i'm 6'3" 250, and from experience i would say definately don't skimp on boots or bindings. as a bigger guy, you will want less flex than smaller riders because what feels like flex to them will feel like lack of support and flimziness to you. after expirimenting with burton binders, i found the rome targas to be perfect for me. they are stiffer by nature and feel awesome. with the softer bindings i tried, i felt alot of pressure points because i had to crank those things down so much to get any support, however with the targas this was not an issue. as for boots, i love the dc judges. i don't know what size your feet are, but if they are larger as well, you will probably want something with a smaller footprint, like the judges. plus these are the most comfort i have found from boots.
AZred60 is offline   Reply With Quote