Evo Vs Park Pickle!!! Dude, choices choices... - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Evo Vs Park Pickle!!! Dude, choices choices...

So... Very stuck between these two, everytime I read up I end up changing my mind.

I need another board for my park days, currently got the T.Rice Pro HP as my all mountain killer, but just snapped my Nitro on an inverted 360 faceplant to ass-slide.

I want something jibby and extremely playfull for my park days, preferably that can handle the rest of the mountain when im just cruising to or from the park. Edge hold and speed being key issues, while still buttering my toast all day long (not that im being picky).

So it came down to these two and I just can't decide between them. I've heard that the PP is quite forgiving on spins, and my spins need some work, plus im thinking the assymatrical heel edge would help me initiate my frontside 3s. But I like the bombproof aspect of the Evo, with it being NS, for when I still want to go big but not got my Lib tech strapped on.

Im hoping someone on here has tried out both boards and can offer a good comparison of the pro's and con's of each. Any advice at all would be awsm, so please stick something down if you've tried or know anything about these woods.

Thanks
ninjalovegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Have you looked at the NS Legacy? Also, Lib Tech Skate Banana.
KrisBKreeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I've not ridden either but I disagree with the guy above recommending the Legacy. If anything maybe the Proto but that's not your question.

Your question is about the Evo vs the Park Pickle and I'll let someone knowledgeable about those boards answer.
  • Boyne Mountain: 1
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

EVO.

hybrid is more stable then just rocker.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Evo is the better choice. Out of all the park boards I've ridden this one take it all. It's very playful and still very responsive thanks to the RC tech, it easily does 70 foot kickers, and as you stated is basically bombproof. The Pickle is a very soft board, way too soft for my liking even for a park board, it does hold edges somewhat well but not as well as the Evo, it butters easierand is as equally agile. And if you're like me you will snap it. It feels really weird on jumo to rails and I have snapped one doing that. Maybe I came down too fast and too high but the Evo has never broke on me.

Last edited by AssassinMonLV; 02-01-2013 at 10:12 AM.
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinMonLV View Post
the Evo has never broke on me.
Yeah the quality of build is a big factor considering I managed to snap my nitro! But I did ride that a little small for my size haha.

Thanks for that AssassinMonLV, that was very usefull feedback! I am def leaning the Evo way, loved my prior NS boards, but don't have too much experiences with the reps/services as not too big of presence over here.

When you rode the Evo how was it on stomping bigger landings, im just a park intermediate so wondering how forgiving it is?

Any other boards I should be considering?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Evo Vs Park Pickle!!! Dude, choices choices...

One caveat of the Evo is dampening or lack thereof.

Outside the park, you're going to get chatter on the faster runs especially if you draw out your carve.

I remedy this problem even when hitting the steeper runs by constantly switching from edge-to-edge.

But expect similar performance from any other freestyle board. Just a tip for you is all.

I actually like the Park Pickle. I'd take that over a Skate Banana any day of the week. I don't find it quite as snappy as the Evo though. Flex-wise, I think the two are similar with the Evo having a little more torsional flex.

Edge hold... Simply put... Nothing grips like Magnetraction and that's the bottom line. In fact, many complain that it grips too much. This can be resolved by detuning the edges. You'll still get plenty of grip thanks to the additional contact points. It just won't have that bite.

The asymmetrical sidecut does nothing for me. I put a little forward lean on my highbacks so there's that.

Between Evo and PP, I prefer Evo. More pop and more versatile IMO. I like the RC on the Evo over the PTX on the PP.

The Burton Hero is another solid choice. Love that board. Burton's V-Rocker is mellow and fun. The Hero handles its own on the groomers while still being a park board. Poppy, fast, and responsive.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 02-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Nice Leo - awsm comparison thanks!

Did you find any difference in the 2013 EVO blunt shape with extended contact edges, does the tech impact board length at all, tend to like park boards on the shorter side but as a big boy not always best way to go.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjalovegod View Post
Yeah the quality of build is a big factor considering I managed to snap my nitro! But I did ride that a little small for my size haha.

Thanks for that AssassinMonLV, that was very usefull feedback! I am def leaning the Evo way, loved my prior NS boards, but don't have too much experiences with the reps/services as not too big of presence over here.

When you rode the Evo how was it on stomping bigger landings, im just a park intermediate so wondering how forgiving it is?

Any other boards I should be considering?
In my experience the board is forgiving-ish. If you mess up, a spin let's say, and you land and the momentum is still making you spin expect to fall if you're not prepared to switch. But all in all it's a forgiving board.
AssassinMonLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24WERD View Post
EVO.

hybrid is more stable then just rocker.
+1

10 Char
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote