Rome Board Base Material? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rome Board Base Material?

Hey guys,

So I have a Rome Mod Rocker 2012 that I recently bought. I rode it through the trees one weekend and ate a pretty sick gouge. I brought it into a shop for a base weld and left it at that. About a week later I come to pick it up, and notice some funky stuff on the base. The guy there explained that while they were in the process of welding the piece on, part of the base started melting off?? Indeed, it looked like there were signs of burns/melting around the base weld area. He said they're going to contact Rome and see what's going on. A few days later, I call back and they said they called the company, but they were being uncooperative, pushing the blame to them and not giving much information on what their base materials are made of.

The shop said they fixed it up the best they could, told me to take it out, and see how it rides. If I'm dissatisfied they'll do what they can to help me out (they didn't specify, but I'm talking to the owner later today when I pick it up).

According to the guy who did the base weld, he said he used the same process and same temperatures as he's always had and it was the first time he ever saw that happen. He pointed out that the piece of base that he welded on was perfectly fine. I had brought in another board two years ago and that went smoothly. My question is, has anyone else ever experienced something similar where the base starts "melting" during a base weld process?
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The base is made out of ptex and yes, you can absolutely melt the base if you apply too much heat.

Sounds to me like that shop fucked up your board and they owe you a new one. They're trying to pass off the blame and play dumb, but they know exactly what happened.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
The base is made out of ptex and yes, you can absolutely melt the base if you apply too much heat.

Sounds to me like that shop fucked up your board and they owe you a new one. They're trying to pass off the blame and play dumb, but they know exactly what happened.
Yup.

Someone left the gun laying on the board or some other form of carelessness that they will surely never admit to you.

Get it replaced!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

That's what I'm thinking too, but I also noticed the piece they welded on was perfectly fine, so that's what's making wonder a bit.

Obviously, that piece could be made of a denser material or something, but who knows?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefutui2e View Post
That's what I'm thinking too, but I also noticed the piece they welded on was perfectly fine, so that's what's making wonder a bit.

Obviously, that piece could be made of a denser material or something, but who knows?
Yea because the accident is unrelated to the repair.

At some point your damage was repaired in a normal fashion, there's no reason it should not look like a normal fine repair job.

Before or after this repair, someone made a careless mistake and let the base of your board come in contact with something to damage it (i'm guessing a heat gun, but it could also be from leaving an iron on it after the repair).
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

got it; thanks. i just wanted to make sure because i wasn't aware that bases can be made of other materials. to their credit the owner sounds like he's willing to make things right. let's see what happens with that!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

ptex is porous. if they did something that melted it, it could have altered enough to take wax differently. they may have permanantly altered the base material. you can tell them if you may not notice it now. but maybe some issues down the road you dont want to deal with.

Last edited by zk0ot; 02-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
zk0ot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk0ot View Post
ptex is porous..
When will people stop posting this bullshit?
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
When will people stop posting this bullshit?
It it wasn't. How do you think wax is absorbed into the base material??? The idea of hot waxing is to heat the material..... opening the pores to except wax. The base cools, holding onto the wax it needs. You scrape off the excess. I accept your apology and you learned something today.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zk0ot View Post
It it wasn't. How do you think wax is absorbed into the base material??? The idea of hot waxing is to heat the material..... opening the pores to except wax. The base cools, holding onto the wax it needs. You scrape off the excess. I accept your apology and you learned something today.
Nope, you are perpetuating an old myth. Once again, Ptex does not have pores - none at all, zero, nada.
What Ptex does have is an amorphous surface with lots of nooks, crannies, ridges, and little 'valleys' - this is what it looks like magnified:

And wax is not absorbed into the base, it adheres to this surface structure.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote