Best ice board??? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'd go with a magnetraction model. I wouldn't worry about the speed that much unless you're racing. It's reasonable to assume that the serated edge will increase the friction by a tiny amount, but it's totally worth it on the ice. I ride one so I'll say.
rasmasyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
Sounds like a sick board, I'd like to try something like that. Like you said it's too bad boards like that are sooo expensive
Yeah there's no need for them to be expensive. Regular board makers could make them, they already do the lifted tip profile, would just need to change the top view of the board to have a more blunted tip and there you go! They shouldn't cost any more or less than a traditional shaped board.

The trouble is the builders who make BX boards also charge retarded rates for their regular tradition shapes (if they make them)... lol

Just measured my board and the front is actually lifted from about 11" back! It's a real gradual rise but that's probably why it's fun in powder. The tail makes contact about 6" from the back.

Just checked my Burton (traditional camber board) and the tip starts to rise about 7" back.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

it's called "snowboarding"....not "iceboarding"... you guys are doing it wrong
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Carving on ice you want a cambered board with a razor sharp edge.

General cruising around with mostly skidded turns then I would take magnetraction every time. I ride a Smokin that has magnetraction because of the ice I have to deal with at my local hill.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Effective edge is what you want for hardpack, this is why racers, alpine boarders, and carvers use a board shape with a MUCH longer effective edge than us. I know some guys love the mange-traction, frostbite edges, etc. but I have yet to see any racers win on boards with bumps in the edges.

So ultimately, if you want to stick with a traditional board, look for something with blunted tips.

My board is a 160 and has over 140 cm of effective edge, while most 160 cm boards have somewhere from 120-125 cm effective edge.
As an east coast rider, I agree with this completely. Go with camber, a long effective edge, and invest in an edge tuning kit to keep them sharp. You'll want to give your edges extra attention if you're riding ice.

Don't pay any attention to extra contact point/MTX gimmicks. The benefits are debatable and the hassle of tuning them isn't worth it IMO. A full, dialed in straight edge is what you're looking for.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #26 (permalink)

Hey Bauba:

You have heard from a number of the "hard core" boys here on the site. They know of what they speak and their info is solid. Don't know if you are at that end of the spectrum in what you are looking for, but those touting MT are talking a more mainstream board selection. Do remember that on true "ice", that is the stuff you could ice skate on, very little is going to prevent you from washing out. Even MT will let go on this stuff. My pick of what is out there is a camrock profile with MT. It gives you camber under / between your feet for some solid edge hold then rockers out the tip and tail to take the "twitchyness" away. Anything from Rossignol with their Amptek Freestyle or Amptek All Mountain profiles.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman View Post
Hey Bauba:

You have heard from a number of the "hard core" boys here on the site. They know of what they speak and their info is solid. Don't know if you are at that end of the spectrum in what you are looking for, but those touting MT are talking a more mainstream board selection. Do remember that on true "ice", that is the stuff you could ice skate on, very little is going to prevent you from washing out. Even MT will let go on this stuff. My pick of what is out there is a camrock profile with MT. It gives you camber under / between your feet for some solid edge hold then rockers out the tip and tail to take the "twitchyness" away. Anything from Rossignol with their Amptek Freestyle or Amptek All Mountain profiles.
I get what you're saying. Camber boards do have that engaging feel that RCR profiles eliminate. But the RCR profile has serious bite at high speeds and deep angles. Enough to throw you to the ground if you hit it hard enough. You can overcome the twitchy feel of camber with better edge transitions but you can't overcome the edge bite of rc.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocolulu View Post
Rossignol Diva, Rossignol Frenemy, Roxy Eminence, GNU B-Pro, Smokin Vixen

Those are just some boards with magnetraction...

Then maybe Arbor Push or Arbor Cadence.
One of my riding friends hated the Cadence on ice, hooked her up with last year's Rome Vinyl and so far she loves it, even in more sketchy conditions.

Though sometimes it is all how you tackle it, sometimes you just have to point the board downhill dig the edge in and go. Speed checking too much on ice can be your worst enemy.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #29 (permalink)

I have the Roxy envi rocker 2C. It's been very good on our icy runs this winter. Held and edge when everyone was skidding out and complaining. Good on powder and other conditions as well. I think the eminence is similar. Roxy boards are pretty light too.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #30 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
Don't pay any attention to extra contact point/MTX gimmicks. The benefits are debatable and the hassle of tuning them isn't worth it IMO. A full, dialed in straight edge is what you're looking for.
Benefits are debatable? I don't even know where to start with this...

Rather that going on a rant, I'll just say that there is a reason you use a serrated bread knife on crusty bread and not a straight edge. HOWEVER, if you sharpen your knives all the time, you will be fine, but unless you are an iron chef, that doesn't happen, so you use a serrated knife.

Same with boards... most people are going to take their board to get tuned once or twice a season and that is it. That is where the magnatraction (MTX) shines because it works well even when the edges get dulled up a bit.

In fact, this is why I think magnatraction works better than most other brands grip tech. From my experience, MTX/BTX boards still have good hold even when they haven't been sharpened. Other brands I have ridden will get noticeably less grippy at the end of the season.

As for tuning being more difficult... there is not a single thing you would do differently, except on MTX boards where you would simply need a shorter file. That's it. If you freehand it like a boss, than you just adjust the file angle to get in-between the waves. Extremely simple. Not to mention the troughs in the wave pattern will be much sharper anyways since they are partially protected by the peaks.

OP, you asked for female specific, ice gripping snowboards. I again will say Roxy or GNU and add in the Niche Minx snowboard... all very eco friendly brands as well.

Last edited by BigmountainVMD; 02-02-2013 at 07:18 PM.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote