Another request for board and size help, I know. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another request for board and size help, I know.

Ok so I think I Have narrowed down the Choice of snowboard to a NS board or maybe jones, but all the boards seem pretty similar for what I want to do. I am a bigger guy 6'2" at about 220lbs but I only have 9 1/2 boot size. I mainly ride in Socal at Big bear. but do make a yearly trip to tahoe. I have a 2003 burton Jussi 159, and a 2010 Nitro Pantera 160. both are ok but I am looking for something for more Hard pack Icy conditions that still is a little forgiving. Not really needed as much for Powder but maybe a couple of inches that we get locally. Not into going super fast, mainly just like to cruise down the hill carving back and forth. I will occasionaly do the smallest of jumps, but not really park.

So looking at the NS heritage in either the 160 or 162. The NS Premier F1 in 161 or 163. Or the NS Cobra in 161. I was also looking at the Jones flagship in around the same size but not if that would be right for me.

I looked at many other companys but nothing really caught my eye. I am close to 40 and like the more mellow graphics that NS and jones have as well as the tech.

Any help would be really appreciated as I am an intermidiate (advanced some days) and want a board that will really help me in most conditions I ride in.

Thanks in advance.
imbeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Also looking at the signal omni 162. But it appears no one is able to help? I am just stuck again buying a snowboard that may not be right for me?
Old 02-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would look at something softer like the SL from NS. Good all around directional board, bit of a do everything. Raptor and Heritage may be more board than you are looking for, especially if you aren't tackling tough terrain or going mach speed.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efilnikufesin View Post
I would look at something softer like the SL from NS. Good all around directional board, bit of a do everything. Raptor and Heritage may be more board than you are looking for, especially if you aren't tackling tough terrain or going mach speed.
I agree, if you go NS, go with the SL. NS, Mervin and Arbor have some of the best edge grip on ice IMO. Check out some Arbor boards as well... Like the Element or Wasteland. Mellow graphics and wood grain.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Cool. Thanks for the input. I thought my weight would make the SL to soft for me. What size SL would work best for me at 220lbs? I will also look into the other boards you mentioned as I had not really heard or seen to much about them.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbeamer View Post
Cool. Thanks for the input. I thought my weight would make the SL to soft for me. What size SL would work best for me at 220lbs? I will also look into the other boards you mentioned as I had not really heard or seen to much about them.
It would depend on whether you want quicker turn initiation, or more downhill stability. Shorter will give you the previous, longer the latter. Anywhere 160+ should be good at that weight.

Last edited by Efilnikufesin; 02-02-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great that helps a lot. Looks like SL 162 or signal omni 162 are my best options. They seem very similar. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbeamer View Post
Great that helps a lot. Looks like SL 162 or signal omni 162 are my best options. They seem very similar. Thanks for the info.
If by similar, you mean that they are both hybrid camber, then yes. However, the NS is camber-rocker-camber, and the Signal is rocker-camber-rocker. So really, they're not very similar at all. The ride will feel very different between the two.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh I did not realize that, I thought the hybrid camber was the same. Thanks for pointing that out. What would be the main difference in ride between them then. I am thinking the NS would be better on hard pack and ice and the signal would be more forgiving or would it not really be that noticeable of a difference.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ok should have looked at the sticky. I see the difference. Kind of like I thought. I really wish I could demo both types but don't make it easy to do that.