Help finding new board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
hipbone

Default Help finding new board.

Sorry in advance if this is a little long winded. I am just trying to provide all the necessary info.

Hey, so I have been riding for about 3 years now mainly keeping to the mountain and spending only about 10% of time time in the park; on the rails and kickers. Currently I am on an older (prolly around 05) Nitro Voltage 155, and flow amp9 bindings that was given to me when I first started. I have really enjoyed the board and its still in pretty good condition, but its time to change things up. So with the new board I was looking for something made more for the park, but will still hold up on the rest of the mountain. I am looking to spend at least 60% of my time in the park this up coming season (or playing around with ground tricks) + the time I will be putting in on the rails/ jumps I am creating in my backyard.

So I would say I am an intermediate-advanced freerider and closer to beginner freestyle rider, but I am committed to changing that.
So here are some vitals:
Height: 5'8''
Weight: 170-180lbs during season
Boot size: 9.5

I was thinking about the Rome AGENT 152 and MOD 156, Burton BLUNT PRIMO 152, Ride Kink 155 and DH 155. Right now I am leaning to the MOD because I can get it shipped for just under $300 where as the rest of the boards will run me closer to $375 except the BLUNT PRIMO ($260). I originally wanted to get the ROME AGENT, but I fear my weight on the board (listed for 165lbs only) will be too heavy. To get a 156 to carry my weight it will be over $400. Should I be concerned about the weight on the 152 AGENT? I liked the idea of getting a board that was a little smaller 151-154, but have a little fear I may be to heavy. That is why some of the boards are around the same length I have now and some a little smaller. What do you guys suggest? I guess I was trying to keep my spending on the board to about $350, shipped hopefully (I live in Canada so there isnt much free shipping from sites).

As for bindings I was planing on getting either the Burton CARTELS or P1 SZ. I am not sure about the P1 SZ and how the new zip cord will hold up. Anyone have any advice? I want to try the toe caps and dont want to spend more than $200 on the bindings.

If there is anymore information I can offer to allow you guys to help me let me know and I will provide whatever I can.

Thanks, Adam

Last edited by hipbone; 07-12-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2008, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

that agent wont be too short, but you wont it would be too soft for you for anything more than jibbing and smaller kickers. ideally for an all park board-rails, boxes, kickers, some pipe-at your weight you want something around 153-156. shorter for more rails, longer for more kickers.

i demoed the primo, didnt like it. just didnt feel good.

of the boards you listed, i'd say the DH would be the best board. really the only ride board i'd get. i'd suggest the romes, except i had two buddies this year have their grafts start to delam from one season.

bidings, the p1's are a more flexible version of the cartels, but the sz are a waste of money. if its only between sz's and cartels, get the cartels, if you can get the standard p1's then do it. the only other toe cap binding i recommend are flux. and the only convertible straps i've ever heard that really work with all boots, are rides silicone net looking ones. I personally had cartels (due to a recent theft i am now in the market), and will probably never buy anything without capstraps. the only non capstraps i endorse are Unions.

Good luck. have fun this year

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
hipbone

Thanks for the input Nivek. The bindings dont have to be either of those, its just the two pairs i was looking at. Cartels is the way I was thinking about going. What do you think about missions instead? Really I am open to any toe cap bindings, its just I found those in my price range at my local dealer.

Thats what i figured about the board legenth/flex because of my weight. Thanks for confirming it. So are you agiasnt all ROME boards now? I hear lots of good about them and really do like the MOD, but if you think the boards going to seperate that soon I would rather go another way.

With the boards listed there do you think they will be an okay choice for what I am looking for or do you think they wont offer enough for my time on the mountain. And I just started looking at the rocker style boards, K2 WWW (have read it breaks down fast) and Lib Tech SKATE BANANA (about $450 though). Is this something I should consider or should I stay with the more traditonal cambered board for now?

Thanks again.

Last edited by hipbone; 07-12-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
NzGnu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Rome makes great boards and the Agent is a mainstay. The issue is`nt with the board, it is just too short for you. An agent that is a 156-159 would be great. Also look at Rome 390 bindings; they are awesome bindings.
haha im starting to think you must be on Rome's pay roll with all the endorsememnts ya give them

i have cartel bindings and love them, no complaints yet.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
hipbone

Ok guys, so I am still undecided on which board to get so I will list off what am looking at and the prices.

*Because I am in Canada I have to worry about the surprise of customs fees/taxes for anything that crosses the boarder.*
Rome Mod 156 - $325US (originally $550US) shipped from US to Can
Rome Agent 156 - $307US (originally $470US) shipped from US to Can
or 154 - $389CAN shipped from Can to Can
Ride DH 155 - $295US (originally $469US) shipped form US to Can
or - $360CAN shipped from Can to Can

I have taken the Lib Tech Skate Banana off the list because of price, but would still consider it if rocker style board is really worth it.

So considering price and what I want out of a board what board would you guys do? I know the Mod is a newer board so people probably dont have much experience with it, me included, but for some reason I tend to favor it over the Agent. Maybe its in my head because of the higher starting price, I don't know.

Edit- As for bindings Is it worth it to spend the extra money $30-$50 to go from the 07' Cartels to the 08'Cartels, 08'P1, 08'Triad or 08'EST?

Last edited by hipbone; 07-13-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
hipbone

Ended up going with the Ride DH (under $300 shipped), but am still unsure about the bindings. Found some 08 burton cartels for for $99 shipped, but dont think I want to go with a black binding anymore. Have been trying to find flux bindings, but they are scarce. Anytime i find some all the sizes are gone; Guess I am going to have to wait till next seasons are out. Oh and what size will i need for the flux? The boot I will be wearing is Burton Moto 9.5.