The Blunted Tip Thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Default The Blunted Tip Thread

It occured to me in a recent post that it's pretty hard to find actual blunted tip boards out there. I don't mean those slightly squared off versions, I mean something with more effective edge than a regular old Burton Custom.

For example, the Burton Custom (camber) in 160 cm has 124 cm effective edge, for an effective edge to total edge ratio of 0.78. Most regular boards have roughly the same effective edge ratio (Neversummer Raptor is basically identical for what it's worth). The K2 Peacekeeper and Ultra Dream actually have SHORTER effective edges than the Burton Custom and NS Raptor, despite the blunted tip look.

Here's some that I know of... and yes some are obvious.

Virus Avalanche FLP AFT - 141 cm effective edge on a 160 cm board (0.88 ratio) Also Virus UFC Boardercross and Boardercross competition

Oxess Freeride - 126/157 = 0.80 ratio
Oxess Boardercross - 139/159 = 0.87

Kessler The Ride - 137.25/163 = 0.84 Ratio (thanks to bseracka for measuring his board!)

Donek Incline - Site lists running length which is not equal to effective edge... Anyone own one that can measure?

Volkl Coal XT - 128/158 = 0.81
Volkl Coal Race - 144/159 = 0.91 (note: this board has a tail like a jones hovercraft)

Prior use to make a BX board. I was at the factory last week and was oogling a BX board and the guy told me it was the last of it's kind.

What else is out there? I searched a lot of the big names but couldn't find anything with true blunted tips (K2, Nitro, Neversummer, Ride, Head, Lib Tech, Venture, Rossignol, Yes, Jones, Palmer, etc.)

Last edited by poutanen; 02-04-2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: updated board specs from members posts
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Here's a question. How is effective edge measured? How much past the widest part of the ends do you consider still effective?

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

none......
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
none......
Exactly, in fact I'd say effective edge ends just before the widest part of the tip and tail.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned!

It is my understanding that what has been done with the NS Proto and Evo in the last few years, and even the Cobra, is this.

For example we put my '54 Proto next to an old non-blunted r'c '58 Evo ('10) and noticed that they had virtually the same effective edge and contact points.

Maybe I misunderstand the question, fuck all your fancy numbers!
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Effective edge is contact point to contact point, put the board on its side on a flat surface and where it touches is the end if the effective edge. The running length however can be longer depending on the camber profile of the board. Lots of powder skis have this with the effective edge stopping about 400mm from the front of the ski but the ski actually touches the snow another 100mm or so. Most snowboards have a running length very similar to the effective edge.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd seriously like to know what is companies really measure for effective edge. I was always under the assumption that it was the edge from contact points when the board was laid flat. But with boards like Ride and Capita with highrise or flatkick tips that raise the contact points how do you determine where the effective edge ends?
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well if the effective edge measurement doesn't go beyond the widest point then the amount of edge engaged in the snow will be longer then the EE measurement. This makes the effective edge damn near a useless measurement since you still have to factor in how much edge past the widest point is engaged in teh snow. Boards with blunted tips (Like my Buck Ferton) have a larger radius of curve away from the snow after the widest point making the amount of edge engaged longer then a normal shaped tip.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremo View Post
I'd seriously like to know what is companies really measure for effective edge. I was always under the assumption that it was the edge from contact points when the board was laid flat. But with boards like Ride and Capita with highrise or flatkick tips that raise the contact points how do you determine where the effective edge ends?
You are mixing up effective edge and running length. Effective edge is a measurement that can be taken from a 2D drawing of the snowboard shape. ie. looking at it from above. It never changes no matter what the camber profile is.
The running length can change depending on the camber profile. A full rocker board will have a shorter running length than effective edge, of course this is all subjective as the running length of a full rocker board will also change if the rider has a wider stance.

I thought you fukkers were meant to be board reviewers lol.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
Well if the effective edge measurement doesn't go beyond the widest point then the amount of edge engaged in the snow will be longer then the EE measurement. This makes the effective edge damn near a useless measurement since you still have to factor in how much edge past the widest point is engaged in teh snow. Boards with blunted tips (Like my Buck Ferton) have a larger radius of curve away from the snow after the widest point making the amount of edge engaged longer then a normal shaped tip.
You may have a portion of the edge after the contact point touching the snow but its is not effective as it is not playing a part in the turn. Also technically its not the edge its the nose (or tail)