Barracuda correspondance with Burton - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #21 (permalink)
nmk

Kagura,
What stick did you end up with? Malolo or barracuda and what length? How is the ride?
I just place my order for a barracuda 157, I am 5'9" 165lbs. I used to own a Malolo long ago, great surfy pow ride but kept washing out on groomers, so I am hoping the barracuda will do better on groomers.
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Hey man,

Good timing! I toyed with the `cuda, but wanted the malolo! I have been looking all year. Nearly bought a pinner, or imported a 2011 malolo, but last weekend I found and bought a 2006 malolo in pretty good condition, super-cheap. I might have it tuned up properly by a shop (it has a small ding in the side - not in the edge - and a graze out of the top-sheet nearby) before the season starts.

Its a 158, which will be pretty perfect for my needs. I`m 184, but I`ve had an ongoing stomach issue which has meant I have dropped a couple of kgs to 67.5. Burton said the 162 or the 158 would be fine. Less flap on the groomers on a shorter board - not that I ride them much - and less stability at speed than a longer board, but it`ll feel a bit more slashy which will be useful for some of the valleys I ride. I have skinny ankles and my regular board is a 159, so the 158 pow-specific ride should rock my world. Hopefully!

Have you bought the `cuda yet? How much are they this season?
KaguraPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Kagura,
What stick did you end up with? Malolo or barracuda and what length? How is the ride?
I just place my order for a barracuda 157, I am 5'9" 165lbs. I used to own a Malolo long ago, great surfy pow ride but kept washing out on groomers, so I am hoping the barracuda will do better on groomers.
The cuda has more rocker than the malolo so it WON'T do better on groomers
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #24 (permalink)
nmk

Kagura,
I picked up the 2013 model in Germany for 339 EUR. The 2014 is priced at 500 EUR.
I thought you were after the cuda.....

Supra,
I was told the cuda will hold better than the Malolo on groomers because of the camber under feet and long running edges.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

I did nearly buy the `cuda, but I wasn`t sure about the s-rocker on it. Something about the transition from one part of the board to another being very abrupt. I`m sure it`s the kind of thing you`d get used to.

I was mainly looking at the `cuda because I couldn`t find a malolo. Some `cudas early season were really well priced too.

Thats a nice enough deal you got though. Have you bought some new bindings to slot into it too?
Old 10-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
nmk

I've got a pair of Diodes from last winter late season sale. I prefer stiff bindings. We'll, I loved my Malolo, that surfy ride was sweet but we don't get enough pow days here. I am also curious about the rocker transition..... I think so long as it is not between my feet I will be ok with it. Last season I tested a NS Cobra at SLC on super hard pack ice conditions.... Hated it..... But I am sure it rocks in soft pack.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #27 (permalink)

Cool!
Not enough pow days?! Where are you?
Old 10-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #28 (permalink)

...And have you sold your malolo?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
Supra,
I was told the cuda will hold better than the Malolo on groomers because of the camber under feet and long running edges.
sorry buddy, you were told wrong. the cuda will hold less than a malolo guaranteed. the rocker starts under the front binding, whereas on the rockered malolo, it started in front of the front binding. On groomers you will have to make a point of pushing down your front foot to get an edge.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

^ this

Supra is spot on. I ride a 161 and you most certainly have to ride "front foot heavy" to cut a line. You will find that riding it on groomers actually improves your riding technique as you will find your self riding with your weight more centered on the board.

Many of us ride a little too much in the "back seat"