Beginner board size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner board size

So i haven't snowboarded in 13 years, and i'm looking to get back into the swing of things, and wow have the times changed.. Last time i was snowboarding, clicker bindings were the craze! and ratchet bindings weren't "cool." oh how the times have changed..

so my question for the forum is, i want a twin, extruded base (need something not so fast) centered stance, freestyle (all mtn freestyle) board, that is forgiving, initiates turns well (this would be reverse camber or the "smiling" profile of board when flat) and that is wide? size 12 boot....

i looked at 161 W boards and they seem to be a perfect length for my 6'3 185-190 lbs frame. my only question is that when laying the board on the floor and standing on the inserts, it feels as though i'm really stretching out, and it does not feel like a natural shoulder length leg stance... does this mean to then go down a few cm to get the inserts maybe a little closer together? so should i go look for a 159 W then?

and any good recommendations on boards to check out ( i may wait a bit longer so current year boards begin to go on sale)

much thanks!!
danny662boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Anything around the 160 mark will be good for your weight. When you said standing on the inserts, were you standing centred on the inner most set of inserts on either side? Or did the board only have 4 inserts under each foot?

Most/all boards in a 160 should have inserts that fit your stance width. I ride a 159 and a 160 and I'm only 5'7", I also like a relatively narrow stance and I have no trouble finding boards that fit.

Another option would be to buy a Burton snowboard with the ICS/EST channel binding mount system. You essentially have a near infinite adjustability with those, but again you should have no trouble riding at reference stance width on almost any 160 cm board.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Any recommendations on any boards? I looked at a lib tech skate banana but they only go to 159 in a wide... Also not looking to drop 450 on a board. I came across a last year mod Rome Reverb (not the rocker) in a 161 W, but it has positive camber... Wouldn't the reverse camber be better for turns and edge holds while remaining stable at riding trails??

As to the button board, I already picked up bindings so that's a no go on that
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny662boy View Post
As to the button board, I already picked up bindings so that's a no go on that
Any bindings can be mounted to the burton channel, it's the other way around that doesn't work.

As for boards, you mentioned wanting rocker so I'll let the rest of the forum make suggestions...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

think im gonna get the rome garage rocker... flat inbetween the bindings... little rockered out at the ends