All mountain charger for WHISTLER - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question All mountain charger for WHISTLER

Hello,

I was hoping you guys could help me.

I'm about 6'2 and i weigh about 180 pounds

I am mid way through my first season at Whistler and i have totalled my Bataleon - Goliath. I am wanting to replace it with an all mountain machine, but i am not that fussed about freestyle. I am more into freeriding.

I have narrowed my choice down to these 3 boards. Does anyone have any feedback on them?

Jones - Mountain Twin in a 160
Jones Mountain TwinThe Good Ride

Yes - PYL in a 161 or 164
YES Pick Your Line Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

Ride - Highlife in a 161 or 164
Ride Highlife UL Snowboard Review | The Good RideThe Good Ride

So I'm basically wanting something I can really charge off piste. But will still hold its own on groomers etc. I am an advanced rider.

Many thanks in advance!

Tom
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Well the jones is an all-mountain twin, not really a freeride board. In the jones models you'd be better off on a flagship.

Same with the ride highlife... So out of those three I'd say the YES - PYL is the more freeride oriented board.

That said, since you're in whistler why not check out a Prior? The Mens Freeride is designed and built in Whistler for just what you're looking to do...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

The Mountain Twin is more of an all mountain freestyle rather than a charger. I rode last year's Mountain Twin and I found it was playful in the tips but not the easiest to just rip a hard turn and not particularly stable at speed. Base was really fast though. Apparently this year they extended the camber a little more towards the inserts so it might ride different now. Still, the Flagship would probably be more in line with what you're trying to do.

I'm personally more partial to the camber/rocker/camber design, so I'd steer you towards a Lib Tech, Gnu, or Never Summer.

Last edited by suburbanlegend8; 02-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tom, are you locked in to those boards? I've really enjoyed the Capita TFA & BSOD as all mtn boards. The hybrid rocker gives them a lot of pop and edge hold while still giving great float in the pow.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanlegend8 View Post
The Mountain Twin is more of an all mountain freestyle rather than a charger. I rode last year's Mountain Twin and I found it was playful in the tips but not the easiest to just rip a hard turn and not particularly stable at speed. Base was really fast though. Apparently this year they extended the camber a little more towards the inserts so it might ride different now. Still, the Flagship would probably be more in line with what you're trying to do.

I'm personally more partial to the camber/rocker/camber design, so I'd steer you towards a Lib Tech, Gnu, or Never Summer.
I was under the impression that the mountain twin has a good edge hold and is pretty sweet for carving. We've not a huge dump of snow in whistler for a while now. So I was figuring maybe go for something a bit more playful that could still charge when the opportunity presents itself?
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

I wholeheartedly endorse the BSOD as a true all mountain slayer. I just bought the 2013 model this year and it has proven to be a quiver killer for me as I don't think about riding any of my other boards now.
jpb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1234 View Post
I was under the impression that the mountain twin has a good edge hold and is pretty sweet for carving. We've not a huge dump of snow in whistler for a while now. So I was figuring maybe go for something a bit more playful that could still charge when the opportunity presents itself?
Once you have an edge in it won't wash out and is pretty stable but I felt like at times transitioning edge to edge I had to consciously work to make sure my edge was engaged instead of just being able to rip an aggressive turn and have it be there if that makes any sense.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton Sherlock? Not so charging oriented but very whistler oriented IMO.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Well the jones is an all-mountain twin, not really a freeride board. In the jones models you'd be better off on a flagship.

Same with the ride highlife... So out of those three I'd say the YES - PYL is the more freeride oriented board.

That said, since you're in whistler why not check out a Prior? The Mens Freeride is designed and built in Whistler for just what you're looking to do...
The highlife is most definitely not a twin board. It's an all-mountain ripper, you may be thinking of the Berserker.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treegreen View Post
The highlife is most definitely not a twin board. It's an all-mountain ripper, you may be thinking of the Berserker.
I'm not sure what I was thinking! Although the highlife has no taper, so technically it may be a twin shape with insert setback and directional flex.

The review the OP linked to seemed to suggest it was designed as more of an all-mountain board than a freeride board.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jones, ride, snowboard, whistler, yes snowboards