Ok So got my first Board, now let's get down to maintanence - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Seriously dude, pretty much any iron will do the trick as long as you don't let the wax start smoking, but generally people will tell you that the dedicated wax irons are the best. There are a ton of excellent youtube videos out there on this topic, including a few from snowolf I believe. I researched the hell out of it before I started doing it on my own and there are little dos and don'ts to it, but it's pretty hard to really screw it up I think.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Seriously dude, pretty much any iron will do the trick as long as you don't let the wax start smoking, but generally people will tell you that the dedicated wax irons are the best. There are a ton of excellent youtube videos out there on this topic, including a few from snowolf I believe. I researched the hell out of it before I started doing it on my own and there are little dos and don'ts to it, but it's pretty hard to really screw it up I think.
hmm cool looking at his threads
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Just be careful not to go overboard on the heat. That is a major reason people prefer dedicated irons. Each wax has a predetermined application temperature. A standard clothes iron will not get you an accurate temp. Again, I still use a standard iron but I dont like it.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm lazy to wax anymore (unless I know I really need it) but not only do I use a clothes iron, I think it's from 1974.

Goes from piping hot to lukewarm at the same setting
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

+1 for putting a shirt on.

If you get a wal mart iron, try to get one with actual temp settings and not just 1-6 or whatever,
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
i'm not going to speak to you anymore until you put a shirt on
+2 to putting a shirt on! I feel like this is the dating website and I'm losing to the topless guy AGAIN...

Honestly if there's a local goodwill/talize/vintage shop or whatever you call them there. You can probably buy a GOOD used iron for about $5-$10... Mine is from the early 90's, I borrowed it from my mom and she didn't want it back once it was all covered in wax.

Mine has numbered heat settings from 1-7 and I use it around 2-3, any lower and it won't melt the wax. Been thinking about welding the steam holes shut but they really don't bother me.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97 View Post
I use a $9 walmart iron as well after my $50 swix broke after a few years. Works better because its larger and holds more heat. Just dab a bit of wax on it to check the temp and make sure it isn't smoking. As for tuning, in general I don't recommend noobs do it themselves, you can do more harm than good. Get a diamond stone and a gummy stone to take care of knicks and burrs but leave the actual edge tuning to the pros until you get the hang of it after awhile.
+1. Listen to the man.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
+1. Listen to the man.
will do thanks
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
will do thanks
If you've still got your old board you can practice sharpening it, if you don't have magnetraction or similar it's not that hard with a file guide, and the key is just to to go easy, don't press too hard.

I am now sharpening my kids boards, my rock board, my wife's rock board myself, with my wife and my primo boards getting professionally sharpened. The application specific irons are nice to use, I think you can get them on ebay for about 40 bucks, mine works great.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintanence, sharpening, snowboard, wax