Ok So got my first Board, now let's get down to maintanence - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ok So got my first Board, now let's get down to maintanence

I just got my Never Summer Cobra X and loving it(although wish i got the 161cm instead of 163), I didn't have any problems on the ice this past weekend, oh god edges are so sharp mostly because it's new I think lol

So I basically have 3 questions;
Remember I just got it, and I ride twice a week in the east coast, so somewhat icy conditions here

1. How often do I need to wax it?

2. How often do I need to sharpen it? I heard sharpening it frequently can kill a board overtime is that so? (like eating the edges, what is that even mean)?

3. How to store it when April comes for the summer, some say wax it and store it, is that so?

For Waxing and Sharpening;
Can you tell me what do I need to buy to start my first waxing and sharpening? Please list everything you know so I can get down to it.
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good to hear that you are enjoying it! 163 is quite long unless you are doing a lot of pow... Oh well!

1. A lot of people wax everytime before they go but I do it every 2-3 times depending on how rough the snow was. Depends on how much you like a freshly waxed board. From what I have read, if you wax your board right, you can't have "too much wax".

2. I'll let somebody else answer this but I know that by killing they mean that if you tune your edges a lot, you'll actually get to a point where they isn't something to sharpen.

3. I would say just wax it and store it. The wax won't hurt it.

For waxing you'll need at minimum an iron(I just use an old clothing iron), some all temp wax, and a scraper. You could different temp waxes if that floats your boat though.
TacomaDoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
I just got my Never Summer Cobra X and loving it(although wish i got the 161cm instead of 163), I didn't have any problems on the ice this past weekend, oh god edges are so sharp mostly because it's new I think lol

So I basically have 3 questions;
Remember I just got it, and I ride twice a week in the east coast, so somewhat icy conditions here

1. How often do I need to wax it?

2. How often do I need to sharpen it? I heard sharpening it frequently can kill a board overtime is that so? (like eating the edges, what is that even mean)?

3. How to store it when April comes for the summer, some say wax it and store it, is that so?

For Waxing and Sharpening;
Can you tell me what do I need to buy to start my first waxing and sharpening? Please list everything you know so I can get down to it.
Edges...only time I ever mess with them is if I chew em up over rocks and have to clean em up. You will know when they need to be tuned, as you might start sliding out more. Its personal preference here. I like mine nice and sharp but never really recut unless needed. That said...get a gummy stone and use it to bust rust when needed. If you feel you need to sharpen em up, get a proper file guide. This will allow you to get the proper angles and keep things straight.

Wax...With the sintered base it will be thirsty for wax, especially if you ride a lot on ice. I personally use graphite wax. Couple of advantages I have noticed with it. 1: its really fast. 2: its hard. 3: its black and makes it easy to see when its time to reapply.

I personally use a standard iron but I need to break down and get a proper wax iron. It will make your life easier if you get the right tools for the job. Take that from personal experience. Youre gonna need a good scraper. I have both plastic and steel. I find the steel makes life so much easier when scraping graphite wax. Again...its really hard stuff. Get used to using a plastic scraper first, before you start tearing up your base with the steel! You will also want a nylon hard bristle brush. I use a bathroom brush. You will use this after all the wax has been scraped, to put a nice brushed texture on your base. I also use a steel bristle brush before i start to clean out old wax and dirt. There are tons of how-to videos on youtube. I suggest you watch a couple. The techniques are not difficult...just pay attention.

Storage: a lot of people store with a fresh coat of wax, without scraping it. That is just fine. Maybe overkill, but if you wax all the way to the edges it will keep em from rusting. Again, personal preference.

I attached a couple of shots to show how nasty the graphite wax is, but to me, is really worth the trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graphitewax1_edit.jpg (174.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg graphitewax2_edit.jpg (76.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg graphitewax3_edit.jpg (156.0 KB, 29 views)
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Answers:

1. If you want to maintain the performance you have enjoyed with your new board, ride it no more than 3 days and wax again. Ice coast and Sintered Base = hungry for wax.

2. Acquire a couple of Diamond Stones and a file guide and touch up your edges every other wax job. It is a heavy hand with a file that will eat your edges. Light touch ups are fine. As Werner suggested, lots of good video lessons out there on Youtube.

3. Touch up your edges, put on a nice layer of wax that covers your edges as well and put it away for the season.

Equipement: ARTECH / TOGNAR / RACEWAX check out their websites. All of them are excellent sources of information on Waxing / Tuning.

Last edited by Oldman; 02-04-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Wax as often as you feel like it. I sometimes do every 3 days out, sometimes go 10 without waxing. It's been suggested on this forum more than once that base structure is more important than wax for glidability.

It'll be pretty hard for you to sharpen your edges too often. I keep a file and guide in my bag all the time, probably give the edges a touch up once every 5-10 days on the snow. If I've hit rocks bad it's time to take the board to the pros to do.

Doing ANYTHING to the board for storage is overkill... As long as it's not sitting in a puddle of water it's fine for the summer. You ride the thing over ice, rocks and trees all year, sitting in a dry basement for a summer is a vacation for the board! If you really want to, you can wax it so you're ready for next year, but I find the early season wax ritual is something that gets me amped up for the year to come.

Get an iron (goodwill or thrift shop irons are fine as long as they have a temp control), scraper, all temp wax, some texture pads and a stiff bristle nylon brush.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

hmm thanks all
checking RACEWAX irons are like 50 bucks, thinking can I just use a regular iron? lol it's an $120 iron

will get a file guide too but god need to be carefull with this thing, like the other guy said, if you apply it too much there won't be anything to sharpen lol

Last edited by vknyvz; 02-04-2013 at 04:53 PM.
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vknyvz View Post
hmm thanks all
checking RACEWAX irons are like 50 bucks, thinking can I just use a regular iron? lol it's an $120 iron
You can. I do, but would prefer to use a proper iron. Id prefer to have more accurate temp control and no steam holes.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

yea I use a $9 walmart iron... you gotta fuck around a bit to find the right temp so you dont ruin your shit.

fresh snow doesn't do much to beat up a wax job, but most other conditions, especially east coast, will just rip wax right out - you can wax that fucker alot.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I actually started using an old travel iron I had (one of those mini travel irons I mean). It worked pretty good, but everyone said you should get a proper iron. I went out and spent 50 bucks on one, tried it and I don't know whether it was defective or what but I just had a harder time getting the right temp with it than I did with the old one. So I took it back, got a refund and continue to use my old travel iron.

In terms of regulating the temperature, I just make sure that smoke isn't coming off the iron and it's good to go.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I use a $9 walmart iron as well after my $50 swix broke after a few years. Works better because its larger and holds more heat. Just dab a bit of wax on it to check the temp and make sure it isn't smoking. As for tuning, in general I don't recommend noobs do it themselves, you can do more harm than good. Get a diamond stone and a gummy stone to take care of knicks and burrs but leave the actual edge tuning to the pros until you get the hang of it after awhile.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintanence, sharpening, snowboard, wax