Jones mountain twin, good choice? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones mountain twin, good choice?

Hi, im new here!

I’m Dutch, and as you probably know Holland is flat. That means to go snowboarding I can go indoors (sucks) or I can go to the Alps. I’ve been doing the last for about 18 years now. Been on a snowboard for about 14 years. However, time is usually limited to 1 week a year, sometimes 2 but no more than that

The last 5 years I’ve been riding on a K2 Titan 159 (2007 model) I had burton mission bindings but broke a highback, no spare parts where we were so had to buy a new set… I ended up buying burton triads (2009 I think). Because they were 50% off and I didn’t have a ton of money at the time. Not the best combination but ok….

I like freeriding, bit of an all mountain boarder and like to try everything (except rails, not a fan of them, they hurt!) jumps are cool but really need to practice more on them. I'm pretty good at charging down the mountain at 85+km/h but it's time for something new!

Because the K2 titan is a real stiff board and more of a ‘charge down the mountain / endless grip and pressure’ kind of board I’m looking in to getting something that is more playful. That’ll be good fun to do some jumps with and has some more pop.

Did some research and read a bunch of reviews and It seems like the Jones Mountain Twin is a good board for me, good at a lot of stuff, can still go fast and do powder and groomers without a problem but more fun to be on than my titan. All the reviews I found keep saying ‘best all mountain board of this season’.

Info about me:
Length 1.93 meters (that’s 6ft 5”)
Weight 86kg’s (thats just under 190 lbs)
Boots Salomon pledge 45 2/3 (US size 11-11.5)
Budget doesn’t really bother me too much.

So a few questions:
-What do you think about my choice, the jones mountain twin, does it sound good for me? If not, what would you pick for me?
-Boardlength; I’m on a titan 159 (titan is a wide board). Do I need a wide board? At the moment my bindings are at 15 degrees forward and 12 degrees back (duck stance). Go for the 160? Or the 161XL? What’s your opinion? Read somewhere that the mountain twin is a ‘mid / wide board’ so that I probably won’t need a wide version??
-New bindings? Burton triads are more of a freestyle binding, switch to something like Cartels? I keep having issues with the screws of the highback coming lose on burton bindings, so I’m thinking about a different brand… all tips are welcome.

Bit of an offtopic question: I have always had my bindings on the reference stance on my board. I’m pretty tall so would you guys advise me to increase the distance between the bindings a bit? Probably just try and see how it feels but is there a sort of reference chart for how far apart to put the bindings?

Sorry for the wall of text, hope you guys can help me with some advice!
Thnx!

Last edited by Wabs; 02-05-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Wabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the mountain twin is a good board. you won't need new bindings.
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

thnx for the response, got to start somewhere...

still the question stands, do I need a wide board with size 11-11.5 boots?
and what length?

Length 1.93 meters (that’s 6ft 5”)
Weight 86kg’s (thats just under 190 lbs)
Boots Salomon pledge 45 2/3 (US size 11-11.5)
Budget doesn’t really bother me too much.

Also still have no idea how to chose what bindings go well with a jones MT?

Last edited by Wabs; 02-05-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton cartel reflex will make you happy.

What's the waist widths on the regular mtwin vs the wide? But I would guess you'd want the wide
Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

10.1 inches on the 160 and 10.2 inches on the 161W, 10.3 on the 164W
see the above image...

I'm leaning towards the 161W with probably burton cartel reflex, sounds like a good como to me. I'll do some more reasearch on the bindings but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

161W should be good with my weight right ?
go for normal stance width (reference) or maybe go for 2 cm wider (im pretty tall)?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabs View Post
10.1 inches on the 160 and 10.2 inches on the 161W, 10.3 on the 164W
see the above image...

I'm leaning towards the 161W with probably burton cartel reflex, sounds like a good como to me. I'll do some more reasearch on the bindings but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

161W should be good with my weight right ?
go for normal stance width (reference) or maybe go for 2 cm wider (im pretty tall)?
If you are keeping the Titan, then I would say the 158W. Plenty big for you and will just be a bit more playful, i.e., a better complement for a quiver approach.

If you are looking at this as your only board, the 160 might be wide enough already - try with your bare feet to confirm.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
If you are keeping the Titan, then I would say the 158W. Plenty big for you and will just be a bit more playful, i.e., a better complement for a quiver approach.

If you are looking at this as your only board, the 160 might be wide enough already - try with your bare feet to confirm.
how do you test that without actually testing the board in the snow? bare feet?
pls explain how
Old 02-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think size 11's should fit on a 25.6 waist. I have 10's and I have gone down to 249 before.

For stance width, it's just personal preference. I'm 189cm and I have a 60 or 60.5 stance
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
I think size 11's should fit on a 25.6 waist. I have 10's and I have gone down to 249 before.

For stance width, it's just personal preference. I'm 189cm and I have a 60 or 60.5 stance
good good, ill go and have a look at the shop before I buy the board but I'll see if I can get it all to fit on a normal 160.

stance will just try reference first and then up the width a bit and see if that still feels good... I'll let you guys know

thnx for the tips!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabs View Post
how do you test that without actually testing the board in the snow? bare feet?
pls explain how
Read wired's excellent explanation (e.g., here).

Standing on the board with bare feet in the usual riding positions, the toes/heel should just be at the edge of the board or have slight overhang. This is because foot size is the primary determinant for proper board width, as it determines to what extent the rider can have proper edge control.
Size/dimensions of the boot will then determine toe and heel overhang/drag, but that is a secondary concern.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote