151cm or 153cm for my Never Summer SL? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 151cm or 153cm for my Never Summer SL?

5'6", 125 lbs, dont foresee getting above 135 anytime soon.

Size 9.5 feet

That being said, 151cm or 153cm.

Intermediate rider, had no problem throwing around a 151cm burton last time I rode.

Don't need board suggestions, just size. Appreciate it.
WS6Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

For your weight the 151 seems better, but you're talking about such a small size difference I doubt you'd notice the difference. Also take into account the type of snow you ride. More powder? Longer board, more man made or in the park? Go for the shorter board...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

I ride in Colorado, so there is powder. Mainly ride groomers and do hit the park. Hit jumps as well. Friends and I do go off through trees some in deep powder every once in a while.

That being said, what do you think?

Edit: If you have any more questions to ask, let me know. I will be more than happy to answer, because from the posts I have seen you post, as well as your reputation, I trust your opinion.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If its your only board go 151, then pick up a pow stick later down the road if it becomes an issue.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Redlude - another member I trust!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

lol no problem!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to answer you one way or another though. Here's a couple generalizations that'll hopefully help.

How fast do you like to go? A longer board will be more comfortable at speed. If you're just cruising and hitting side jumps and stuff, a shorter board is fine.

Shorter will be easier to spin, longer will be more stable for jump landings and approaches.

Are you a muscular 125 or an average 125? If you're above average fitness for someone your weight, that's another reason to upsize.

What do you ultimately want out of this board? What does your gut tell you? If you've been on a 151 for a while and are looking to get more comfortable groomer bombing, jumping, and the occasional spin trick, I'd get the longer board. If you're comfortable riding at your current skill level, and just want to enjoy riding around doing what you usually do with friends, then stick with the same length you've got.

Okay, now all that said, the difference between 151 and 153 cm is just over 1%, so you're talking about minor differences to all of the above questions. Back in the day I went from a 153 to a 159 and it felt pretty good! Took a few runs to get used to it but it wasn't a scarey transition. That said a 159 is about right for my weight, and anything from a 149-153 would be about right for your weight.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
lol no problem!

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to answer you one way or another though. Here's a couple generalizations that'll hopefully help.

How fast do you like to go? A longer board will be more comfortable at speed. If you're just cruising and hitting side jumps and stuff, a shorter board is fine.

Shorter will be easier to spin, longer will be more stable for jump landings and approaches.

Are you a muscular 125 or an average 125? If you're above average fitness for someone your weight, that's another reason to upsize.

What do you ultimately want out of this board? What does your gut tell you? If you've been on a 151 for a while and are looking to get more comfortable groomer bombing, jumping, and the occasional spin trick, I'd get the longer board. If you're comfortable riding at your current skill level, and just want to enjoy riding around doing what you usually do with friends, then stick with the same length you've got.

Okay, now all that said, the difference between 151 and 153 cm is just over 1%, so you're talking about minor differences to all of the above questions. Back in the day I went from a 153 to a 159 and it felt pretty good! Took a few runs to get used to it but it wasn't a scarey transition. That said a 159 is about right for my weight, and anything from a 149-153 would be about right for your weight.
Gotcha. I really weigh a little less than 120 lbs. I am very strong for my size. The reason it is so hard to make up my mind is that I haven't owned my own board before, I have only been snowboarding 2 times, but am already very good at it since I am quite athletic. I rode a 151cm burton that was rented on my 2nd trip. It felt comfortable, but I haven't rode a lot of boards to really know what a difference in length would make. We rode everything all over the mountain, tons of blacks and through trees types of things. Going down hardcore mogles I could throw the board around and turn pretty well. Did get a bit tiring if I just kept going, but I assume everyone would get tired with constant muscle strain/use lol

So here I am, back in the predicament of 151cm vs 153cm after I thought I had my mind made up at 151cm. lol....

Also I hit jumps on the 151 and it felt good. I also know that 151cm vs 153cm is just about 1.5% overall length, so shouldn't even make that much difference theoretically...

Edit: Found in an old thread about this sizing chart, that even you poutanen liked.

http://www.frostyrider.com/tips/size-guide.htm

On there it says about 149-151 if I weighed 130lbs and were an expert lol. If I plug in 120 lbs and intermediate, it says 146-148.

Last edited by WS6Dream; 02-04-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS6Dream View Post
Gotcha. I really weigh a little less than 120 lbs. I am very strong for my size. The reason it is so hard to make up my mind is that I haven't owned my own board before, I have only been snowboarding 2 times, but am already very good at it since I am quite athletic.
Ah young grasshopper, this changes everything! Yeah I do like that calculator, it's obviously very generic, but it's pretty good at getting an idea of where to start looking!

That said, it sounds like the 151 is right for you. Even if you've done well learning, you don't want a longer board to hold you back in the beginning. Go for the 151 and you'll be happy with it for a while. If you find yourself overpowering it one day (getting into hard carving and it starts getting sketchy) then look to go longer, but otherwise the 151 will be plenty board for at least the next couple years.

Have fun! And don't take our advice too seriously, we're just a bunch of internet nuts!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Ah young grasshopper, this changes everything! Yeah I do like that calculator, it's obviously very generic, but it's pretty good at getting an idea of where to start looking!

That said, it sounds like the 151 is right for you. Even if you've done well learning, you don't want a longer board to hold you back in the beginning. Go for the 151 and you'll be happy with it for a while. If you find yourself overpowering it one day (getting into hard carving and it starts getting sketchy) then look to go longer, but otherwise the 151 will be plenty board for at least the next couple years.

Have fun! And don't take our advice too seriously, we're just a bunch of internet nuts!
I appreciate the wisdom!! Now hopefully the seller on eBay, who sold the new 151cm yesterday, responds back to my message and says he has another one to sell me lol If not I gotta find another one out there that isn't $510... lol