Help after impulse buy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 03:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help after impulse buy

Hi I been snowboarding for about 15 years. Ridden camber boards my whole life. Early 2011 I managed to snap the tail of my 98 Ride board. That Christmas I bought myself a K2 Brigade because I was planning to do some riding early 2012 and needed something quick. I thought I'll take a dive into rocker as I read a few articles about it. And the price on the snowboard was affordable to me at the time plus it was one of the bigger (161) boards at the shop, I never followed snowboard tech or the likes before so it was a blind purchase. Now don't get me wrong the brigade is a decent board but they kind of screwed it up by tweaking the edges to make it what they call beginner friendly. I can take the board anywhere besides steep icy black's because the either the edges refuse to dig and I end up sliding a fair amount any carve I try to do. Other than that I'm satisfied with the the rest of the board, great flex, quick base granted I keep it waxed. Is there anything I can so about the edges? I think from reading the catalog that it had a 3 base bevel. Any advise would be appreciated.
ItchEtrigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchEtrigR View Post
Hi I been snowboarding for about 15 years. Ridden camber boards my whole life. Early 2011 I managed to snap the tail of my 98 Ride board. That Christmas I bought myself a K2 Brigade because I was planning to do some riding early 2012 and needed something quick. I thought I'll take a dive into rocker as I read a few articles about it. And the price on the snowboard was affordable to me at the time plus it was one of the bigger (161) boards at the shop, I never followed snowboard tech or the likes before so it was a blind purchase. Now don't get me wrong the brigade is a decent board but they kind of screwed it up by tweaking the edges to make it what they call beginner friendly. I can take the board anywhere besides steep icy black's because the either the edges refuse to dig and I end up sliding a fair amount any carve I try to do. Other than that I'm satisfied with the the rest of the board, great flex, quick base granted I keep it waxed. Is there anything I can so about the edges? I think from reading the catalog that it had a 3 base bevel. Any advise would be appreciated.
Simple solution: Tilt the board more and apply more edge pressure.

More involved solution: Get a shop to give your board a 2 or 3 degree side bevel, i.e., a 89 or 90 degree edge angle. That will allow you to ride the iciest of steeps.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Sell it and buy a full camber or camber/rocker/camber board. If you keep board for decades you dont want something that just isnt you. Everyone makes a mistake purchasing things, the smart guys admits it and fixes the problem.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Help after impulse buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Simple solution: Tilt the board more and apply more edge pressure.

More involved solution: Get a shop to give your board a 2 or 3 degree side bevel, i.e., a 89 or 90 degree edge angle. That will allow you to ride the iciest of steeps.
Would you recommend a base grind so I could level off the edge angle to make it flush & parallel to the base? I'm afraid it might compromise the integrity of the board since it's a lower quality base being an entry level board.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchEtrigR View Post
Would you recommend a base grind so I could level off the edge angle to make it flush & parallel to the base? I'm afraid it might compromise the integrity of the board since it's a lower quality base being an entry level board.
Is it possible - probably. Would I recommend it - not really.
Reasons:
  • Not sure that it would damage the base, but at 3 degrees would take off a good amount of it. You would have a much thinner base, making it more vulnerable, making Ptex repairs more difficult, possible making future base grinds more difficult/impossible, etc.
  • A base grind might reduce re-sale value of the board (because of the points listed above and because people believe that boards that have had a base grind have been ridden hard).
  • You can achieve almost exactly the same effect by increasing the side edge bevel, which is a much easier procedure.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Help after impulse buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Is it possible - probably. Would I recommend it - not really.
Reasons:
  • Not sure that it would damage the base, but at 3 degrees would take off a good amount of it. You would have a much thinner base, making it more vulnerable, making Ptex repairs more difficult, possible making future base grinds more difficult/impossible, etc.
  • A base grind might reduce re-sale value of the board (because of the points listed above and because people believe that boards that have had a base grind have been ridden hard).
  • You can achieve almost exactly the same effect by increasing the side edge bevel, which is a much easier procedure.
Thanks for the help, I'm off to the shop on Friday to get the edges sharpened before my trip next weekend.

On a side note I'm looking to buy a used older cambered board for playing about, something smaller and lighter to throw around in the park, I came across a 2010 Burton operator 154 wide at a decent price. Anyone with experience with that board?

I'm 6'1 and am about 179lbs with a size 12.