Getting my friend on a board (he's a goon) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting my friend on a board (he's a goon)

My friend is approximately 6'1", 240lbs, and a 13 foot.

He's looking for an all mountain board that he can bring into the park. Preferably nothing directional and not too soft where he wouldn't be able to ride in a bit of powder.

My friend was informed that due to his weight, he "almost has to ride a cambered board." This was the first time I heard weight being taken into account when choosing camber style.

So my first question is, does that comment about him having to go camber have any validity to it? And then my second question is any recommendations? Been looking in the 158W size category.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

no. 10 char
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I am more of a "goon" than your friend and ride a soft-flex, rocker board that is only now (2 seasons in) leaving me wanting to upgrade, and that's only because I DON'T ride park and want something to give me more stability as I progress to higher speeds. So I would have to agree that "no" is probably the right answer to your first question.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Weight has absolutely nothing to do with chosen camber profile. On the other hand a 158W will likely be a bit short for your friend. Not unridable but not ideal either.

It's sort of a catch-22 when choosing directional vs. non. If you think he'll spend a lot of time trying to ride switch and/or working on a lot of spin tricks then a true twin is better. If he's going to be an all-mountain rider, then directional will have some real benefits for powder and carving.

Something in a 162-165W or so would be about right to start. I tend to suggest mid-flex all-mountain boards for noobs, and something with either a flat profile or mild camber with lifted tips if you want a hyprid shape (R/C/R some people call it).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all the assistance. Has anyone been able to fit on a non-wide with a size 12/13 boot? I've heard rumor with certain lower profile boots and bindings that people have gotten away with non-wide.
exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exile View Post
Thanks for all the assistance. Has anyone been able to fit on a non-wide with a size 12/13 boot? I've heard rumor with certain lower profile boots and bindings that people have gotten away with non-wide.
Yeah that's generally right on the border. A mid-wide board should do. I wouldn't want to battle toe/heel drag though so I'd be tempted to get him a wide board.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am the goon he speaks of. I grabbed the Nike boots at a 12.5. My weight is roughly 200 - 205 depending on the morning dump. I was looking to do a 158W camber and am not sure whether to buy the Rome reverb, forum grand pops, burton honcho or spend the extra 150 and get a NS or libtech. I would like a true twin in case I want to ride switch.
freezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post
I am the goon he speaks of. I grabbed the Nike boots at a 12.5. My weight is roughly 200 - 205 depending on the morning dump. I was looking to do a 158W camber and am not sure whether to buy the Rome reverb, forum grand pops, burton honcho or spend the extra 150 and get a NS or libtech. I would like a true twin in case I want to ride switch.
My advice to you, being an intermediate rider, is go with the less expensive board when you are first getting on the hill. The reason I say this is to give yourself time to figure out what your riding style will be. When I first started I just knew I wanted to hard charged every hill, carving it up...but eh. The more I rode the more that got played out for me and I began to get into butters, presses, spins, and hitting natural features. My point being is my first board was a Rossignol taipan, which is a directional twin, mid flex, and has a RCR profile. I pd $350 for it. Now that I have progressed and found my identity on the hill, so to speak, I am looking for a board more catered to my riding style. So again, start off inexpensive, but not cheap, and give yourself a chance to figure what type of riding you actually enjoy. Hope this help some. Good luck!
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

yeah I like the thought behind that and thats what I was battling. However what your saying makes total sense. Any suggestions on a 158W camber? That rome reverb was nice and so was the Forum i am just stuck there.
freezey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezey View Post
yeah I like the thought behind that and thats what I was battling. However what your saying makes total sense. Any suggestions on a 158W camber? That rome reverb was nice and so was the Forum i am just stuck there.
Because I was a true beginner when I bought my first board (rented gear my 1st time out, fell in love, bought my 1st set-up), with the help of this forum and independent research, I was leaning towards rocker or hybrid tech. So unfortunately, I have no experience on camber boards. But I am sure someone here will chime in with some helpful info. Sorry man.

However, I did notice your friend say you ride in the park as well. So that may be something to think about regarding a camber board.

Last edited by crash77; 02-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.
crash77 is offline   Reply With Quote