Board for a big ripper - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
cammac

Question Board for a big ripper

Hey guys!

Had a read thru ur forums & there's some great info & advice, so thought I'd bother you with a question...

I've been riding for about 10 years - started off alpine racing & competing, but saw the light about 6 years ago & switched to freestyle - or more freeride. Coz I'm a pretty big guy (6'2, about 210lbs) and I got big feet (Burton sz 13's) I've always had to settle for directional freeride boards (ie, burton floater, salomon fastback, salomon forecast). Last couple of seasons I've been hitting the park heaps, plus doing a lot of freestyle riding - spinning & riding switch.

This season I need a new board cos the salomon forecast has been flogged & has no snap/pop what so ever.

Just wondering what board you guys would recommmend for a guy my size that's looking for a freestyle board with plenty of pop? I'm also looking for a board with a decent stance width - I've maxxed out every board I've owned with stance & it's never enough.

Weight and price of the board really aren't an issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2008, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Never Summer Legacy but get the upcoming seasons model that board is the sickness. K2 Darkstar Wide (called the Afterblack this season) is another good one that comes to mind.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
cammac

Cheers for the tip - looks like the Legacy has had plenty of good reviews. I can't seem to find any info on the stance width tho. One site says the stance is set back tho - I'm really lookin for a true twin...

I'm readin some good stuff on the K2 Darkstar, but I can only find info on the stance width (22in which is too narrow for me) - I need to know what the maximum stance width is!

Last edited by cammac; 07-21-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

22 inches on the darkstar is the reference stance it maxes out at like 24.5 or 25 inches. The Legacy I think maxes out at 24.75 or something like that. Don't let the set back scare you, you won't notice the difference after one run. But you could get the revolver, I'm on the revolver while its fun its definitely gotten softer relatively quick for my liking.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
cammac

Oh sweet - cheers for that! I noticed there's a cheap Darkstar on ebay... might have to whip it up!
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Make sure its the WIDE model, for the 07/08 season the wide was called the After black, for next season 08/09 its the darkstar wide.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
cammac

Cool - so if wanna get the 07/08 model it should be a bit cheaper then?

I've narrowed my list down a bit, just gotta check specs for stance width...

K2 Darkside
LibTech Phoenix Wide or TRS MTX
GNU Riders Choice MTX
Ride Dose or Society
Rome Agent or Mod

At the moment I'm leaning towards one of the LibTech's coz I'm really curious about the new magnetraction technology. It'd be awesome for my local hill as it gets icy as hell.

Last edited by cammac; 07-22-2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Word

check out something like the lib tech dark series wide 164 or 161. the 2009 is already out Lib Tech Snowboard Lib Tech Dark Series MTX Wide Snowboard

i have never heard a bad review from this board