Used board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Used board advice

Hi All,

I am a very new snowboarder. I can't ski any longer due to flat feet (snowboarding is much less painful) and I'm looking for a way to get on the mountain with my kids. I have taken a few lessons and am now looking for gear. I have somebody at a shop with a 2009 Nitro Bryan Fox 157 for sale with Nitro Raiden 0 bindings. Price is $300, just wondering if this is a good deal for me? Thanks!
joelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Unless the bindings are almost new that sounds a bit steep.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
Unless the bindings are almost new that sounds a bit steep.
Thanks for the quick response! He claims the whole setup only has 12 hours on it. When I see it, if it's not in great condition, what would you recommend in that price range? I already have boots.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelia View Post
Thanks for the quick response! He claims the whole setup only has 12 hours on it. When I see it, if it's not in great condition, what would you recommend in that price range? I already have boots.
Where do you ride, what are your stats, weight and foot size?

Any riding preferences, park vs groomers, etc.

Do you think you'll be interested in doing tricks and riding switch a lot (twin shape is best) or just cruising, directional or twin would be fine.

Do you want to buy something you'll grow into or are you ok to get a beginner oriented board and flip it in a season?
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Where do you ride, what are your stats, weight and foot size?

Any riding preferences, park vs groomers, etc.

Do you think you'll be interested in doing tricks and riding switch a lot (twin shape is best) or just cruising, directional or twin would be fine.

Do you want to buy something you'll grow into or are you ok to get a beginner oriented board and flip it in a season?
I ride in the northeast... Wachussett, Loon, Waterville Valley and prefer groomed trails. It's just a way for me to get out there with my kids and ride, so probably no tricks in my future. I'm 5'11, 195-ish pounds. Twin would be good, and I'd like a board to grow into. This guy claims the one he wants to sell is ALL of that but I don't know. Looks like that model board is in the $400's new w/ no bindings, but it sure is ugly.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

While I'm at it, might as well see if he screwed on these boots... they feel good though. Rome SDS Bodega Pureflex... $150. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelia View Post
I ride in the northeast... Wachussett, Loon, Waterville Valley and prefer groomed trails. It's just a way for me to get out there with my kids and ride, so probably no tricks in my future. I'm 5'11, 195-ish pounds. Twin would be good, and I'd like a board to grow into. This guy claims the one he wants to sell is ALL of that but I don't know. Looks like that model board is in the $400's new w/ no bindings, but it sure is ugly.
Whoops, foot size ~ 10.5
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Anyone? Thanks!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hours on equipment means little and typically so do number of days (unless we're talking 100+ in a season). Snowboards are a lot like cars, once they're bought they lose value and continue to lose value regardless of use. Tech changes with time (sometimes more, sometimes less) and that is what people continue to pay for model year to model year. Don't get caught up in buying something for full price from seasons ago just because the owner didn't use it and now wants close to what (s)he paid, back out.

At 195 you likely want a board in the 157-161 range and with a 10.5 foot you DO NOT need a wide board. For $300 there are better/worse deals out there. Be patient and find something that actually fits you. PS your binding size will be medium (for the most part) and used boots are worth next to nothing, unless they fit you (no heel lift).

Last edited by bseracka; 02-06-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
Hours on equipment means little and typically so do number of days (unless we're talking 100+ in a season). Snowboards are a lot like cars, once they're bought they lose value and continue to lose value regardless of use. Tech changes with time (sometimes more, sometimes less) and that is what people continue to pay for model year to model year. Don't get caught up in buying something for full price from seasons ago just because the owner didn't use it and now wants close to waht (s)he paid back out.

At 195 you likely want a board in the 157-161 range and with a 10.5 foot you DO NOT need a wide board. For $300 there are better/worse deals out there. Be patient and find something that actually fits you. PS your binding size will be medium (for the most part) and used boots are worth next to nothing, unless they fit you (no heel lift).
I agree with this. You need new boots, and pretty much anything in the size above from craigslist or ebay or kijiji will work. From burton line I'd look for a used burton custom flying V (or cambered)with size medium bindings at the higher end, or a used blunt or clash or process would be cheaper. The custom would be a board you could have for many years, the others you might flip eventually. I only know burton, others can advise on other brands.

As you did with the first board, if you see something post here and you can get a quick yes or no as to whether it would be a good choice and good price.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote