Worth buying? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

boards and binding it depends with what type of riding you do freestyle or free ride or a lil of both.

Good bindings are the strap ones, I don't think they make the step in any more, plus those were sold with the appropriate type of botties.

give us stats, weight, height, foot size, type of riding and that way we could further help you

and by the way, there are way better brands than burton and at a cheaper price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
kwu

I had recently gotten a friend to swtich over from skiing to snowboarding and he picked up the Clash. It's a good beginner board and from what I hear from him there's not to much to complain about the board. He seems to like it a lot, but I would definately have to agree with simply^ride. There are a lot of good brands out there other than burton; especially for cheaper. Burton's are just like the Nike of footwear. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Word

the clash will work just fine. salomon boots are great unless you have a wide foot. ride lx or burton custom bindings should be ok if you are trying to spend as little money as possible. words of advice... spend the extra dough on your boots and skimp on the bindings if you have to
Old 07-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Word View Post
spend the extra dough on your boots and skimp on the bindings if you have to
Sound advice.

Just bear in mind that the perfect boot for one person is an icey torture chamber for others. You may end up wanting another board, you may dislike your bindings, but if you hate your boots your day will always be miserable.

I'd suggest that you stay away from entry level boots. Seems to me that their comfort is directly related to their flexibility. A few $$ more will get you into a decent intermediate boot. The learning curve up to intermediate isn't steep, so you don't want to be out riding your boots the same season you bought them. Most major brands have something decent in the mid range of their product line. Seeing as how you're a teenager, I wouldn't spend huge $$, your feet will grow out of them long before they're worn out.

Seriously though....try on as many boots as you can. And really try them on. Spend 20 minutes in them. Walk around the store. Look at boards, check out girls, whatever. The hot spots don't always up right away.

Painful, cold, wet feet will ruin your day faster than a bad board or bindings.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Sound advice.

Painful, cold, wet feet will ruin your day faster than a bad board or bindings.
You got that right, damn Burton boots
Old 07-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ben Carley

Yeh, the rental boots I have had the last two times were pretty poor, first pair too big, second pair had holes in, so I think i will get boots atleast for the next time I go out =)
Old 07-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No company even makes step ins anymore. Boots get the ones that fit your foot and expect to spend the most there. Everyone can tell you how great one company or another is, but realistically its your foot and no one has that so try on everything.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
No company even makes step ins anymore. Boots get the ones that fit your foot and expect to spend the most there. Everyone can tell you how great one company or another is, but realistically its your foot and no one has that so try on everything.
exactly. and make sure when you buy them that they fit really snug. the first time you try them on will be the tightest they will ever fit... the liner will continue to pack out as you wear them. my street shoes are a 10 and my boots are a size 9(Deeluxe ID's and i love them). this is stuff your sales person should tell you but you never know nowadays... it seems like everybody who has ever seen snow thinks they are experts.

WorD
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No the problem is most shops hire fucking idiots. My shop takes a strong stance on not hiring idiots. Last time we did that poor kid didn't last a week we brutalized him till he quit.

The other thing is watch out for city shops. Sure its great that you have a shop in your city, but city shops are full of tools that are weekend warriors. Mountain shops almost always know more than city shops.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Simply^Ride

just let your feet tell you what you need.
and look for a good deal on the Internet.