Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Worth buying? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/6248-worth-buying.html)

Ben Carley 07-23-2008 07:40 AM

Worth buying?

Hi, I am a beginner on a snowboard starting out this year. I recently attained my ESF class 4 and was wondering if its worth buying a board for my third trip out or carry on renting boards and equipment? And if it is worth buying what equipment should I be looking at and how much will it be? I'm not to sure about what's what when it comes to equipment:dunno:

Cheers

killclimbz 07-23-2008 09:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How many days are you planning on getting this season? If you are going to do more than 10 days, getting your own equipment is probably not a bad thing to do. If it's less than 10 maybe not so much. 5 or less, I would probably just rent. As you progress you are going to find you will out grow whatever you are using anyway.

Ben Carley 07-23-2008 09:35 AM

Well I'm hoping to go out twice for one week slots so maybe it is worth buying, but I'm only just coming up to my 16th birthday so will I grow out of my board? or are boards not as height specific as skis are?

killclimbz 07-23-2008 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Boards are weight specific. Height has almost nothing to do with selecting a board. In fact, if a shop is going by height in recommending a board, turn around and walk out, because you already know more than they do.

I would say you are boarder line on wanting to own. Rental prices do add up and probably for the cost you could have your own equipment. If you buy, make sure you do not spare any expense on boots (if you don't already own), that is the number one thing to not skimp on.

Ben Carley 07-23-2008 10:17 AM

Thanks for all your help :)

Which boots would you recommend?

killclimbz 07-23-2008 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The one's that fit your foot. Seriously, that is the number one thing. Vans, Salomon, Nitro, even Burton (reluctant to recommend them but they do make some good boots, not all), all make good boots. Vans probably being my company of choice, but they fit my foot properly. If Vans don't fit your foot, well they suck for you. I would go into your local shop and try on a bunch of different boots. Speed lace systems are nice (such as BOA) but not necessary. Just make sure you don't buy a price point boot. Get a pair that is meant to last. Being that you are a beginner, a boot that is made for solid intermediate riding is where I would look. You're going to get out of the beginner stage quickly so no point is buying a low end boot that you will quickly outgrow.

Simply^Ride 07-23-2008 11:55 AM

Salomon make incredibly comfortable boots, you could wear those things all day if you wanted too. I own a pair of Burtons and they are hard and uncomfortable, would not recommend burton for boots. Try different boots on and see which ones fit best, but definitively keep Salomon in your list, they are my boots of choice.

Plus my burton boots leak water like no other boot I have ever tried, they SUCK. they are soaking wet by the end of the day and your feet are freezing cold, maybe it's time that I should get new boots ;).

The Salomon boots I am talking about are my friends boots, I wish I would of bought those.

Gustov 07-23-2008 12:03 PM

i have salomon and recommend them. the guy at the store was a jackass, but he did recommend salomon to me, and since then i've heard more salomon recommendations than any other brand. vans get a lot of good reports too.

Ben Carley 07-23-2008 12:30 PM

So, in a nut shell, Go with salomon? as long as they fit:thumbsup:

For bindings, step in or strap ups?

And for a board, would the burton clash do me?

Really appreciate all the advice btw

sweeney017 07-23-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Carley (Post 59226)
So, in a nut shell, Go with salomon? as long as they fit:thumbsup:

For bindings, step in or strap ups?

And for a board, would the burton clash do me?

Really appreciate all the advice btw

For bindings I would go with conventional strap in's. Step ins are generally more expensive and end up being a bigger pain in the ass than the conventional ones, especially if you get any ice in them. Cheers!!!