Bataleon 2014 Snowboards - New Boss Model, etc - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancgrs View Post
The base has been gauged to the core of the board in several spots and I haven't ridden it any different or different locations, no noticeable rocks or anything, the topsheet dents and a bunch of chunks off of the topsheet. I have had my NS for 3 years and the westmark was brand new this season and already you would think the NS is newer than the arbor... Just hasn't been durable, getting that torn up in one season is crazy to me, especially since, like I said, the NS SL has lasted 3 years and is in considerably better condition.....

Anyways, enough complaining. Thanks for the info, I'm seriously considering the boss!
To be honest, bases are all very similar in regards to damage that will penetrate to the core. Some cheaper bases (extruded) can actually do a bit better there (and all are definitely easier to fix). Post up some photos of the damage if you can.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
To be honest, bases are all very similar in regards to damage that will penetrate to the core. Some cheaper bases (extruded) can actually do a bit better there (and all are definitely easier to fix). Post up some photos of the damage if you can.
I'll try to later. It's not the same base as my NS though. Feels totally different, only way I can describe it is "fibery", and it doesnt hold wax very well either. This is last years westmark, I do know they changed bases from my model to the model that was released this year...

Btw thanks for the feedback... Maybe I have just been hitting rocks under the snow and not realizing it... I dunno

Side note.... Is the boss red on the base and the elephant? Or orange? In the pic it looks orange but the catalogue looks red?

Last edited by briancgrs; 02-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
briancgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok I can't figure out how to attach multiple photos but here's the strangest.. It's perpendicular to the board itself so I don't know how this could have happened... It's almost as if the lettering is trying to come out. My first reaction was it looks melted but I always wax my boards and have never melted one or had these weird issues.... And I can't seem to get the ptex to stay anywhere on the board. I've done it twice and taken it to the shop once thinking I was doing something wrong but the "fix" they did came out after a day of riding as well.....

Also what's with the little holes??? They are in a few spots on the base but only on the blue lettering...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.9 KB, 110 views)

Last edited by briancgrs; 02-20-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Ok I can't figure out how to attach multiple photos but here's the strangest.. It's perpendicular to the board itself so I don't know how this could have happened... It's almost as if the lettering is trying to come out. My first reaction was it looks melted but I always wax my boards and have never melted one or had these weird issues.... And I can't seem to get the ptex to stay anywhere on the board. I've done it twice and taken it to the shop once thinking I was doing something wrong but the "fix" they did came out after a day of riding as well.....

Also what's with the little holes??? They are in a few spots on the base but only on the blue lettering...
Hi Brian,

You nailed it on the melting. If you hold heat on a diecut for too long they will seperate like this. It is essentially melting away the bond between the inlaid materials. The pickling is likely related (although I cannot say with certainty from the picture). It is possible to heat a base so that small bubbles form and collapse.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Brian,

You nailed it on the melting. If you hold heat on a diecut for too long they will seperate like this. It is essentially melting away the bond between the inlaid materials. The pickling is likely related (although I cannot say with certainty from the picture). It is possible to heat a base so that small bubbles form and collapse.
That's crazy because I only turn the iron hot enough to melt the wax and not smoke.... Plus I would hope I'd notice doing that? But I must have, pretty sure the snow didn't melt it....

Hey so is the elephant on the boss and the base on the boss orange or red? The look orange in the pic but red in the catalogue?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
That's crazy because I only turn the iron hot enough to melt the wax and not smoke.... Plus I would hope I'd notice doing that? But I must have, pretty sure the snow didn't melt it....

Hey so is the elephant on the boss and the base on the boss orange or red? The look orange in the pic but red in the catalogue?
OK, if you were joking, I want you to know that I did spend the last few minutes looking for an elephant in that graphic.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
OK, if you were joking, I want you to know that I did spend the last few minutes looking for an elephant in that graphic.
HHahhahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'm sorry!!! I just looked quick, it's not an elephant, i seriously thought it was with a fast glance, it's some sort of color design on the top sheet. The design over the pictures. What I thought was an elephant is the blob, for lack of a better term, of color that is in the second and third pic down from the tip of the board.... Looks orange in the pic but red in the catalogue. I am just wondering which is it and if the base red and black or orange and black??

I think it's supposed to be a scary hand outline holding an apple...at second look

Last edited by briancgrs; 02-20-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I thought it was a Tomato. Not quite sure why The samples at the show were not true red. They were more like the pic than the catalog. I would not consider that too heavily, though as there is a lot of time spent sorting color for final production that happens after SIA.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

Ok thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have a question about the camel toe. If the board is meant to be ridden in pow, how come its so soft? I mean, big mtn boards are always stiff... Also, how is the camel on groomers? How is their extruded base? Would you think that camel would compliment my lobster freestyle (ET)? Any big changes from 2013 models?
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote