Bataleon 2014 Snowboards - New Boss Model, etc - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lots of powder boards are not stiff.... I do not work in the industry but I understand basic physics. The idea behind a powder board is to keep the nose up and out of the powder which in turn planes the rest of the board/rider up. By making a board softer you allow the pressure the snow creates to bend the board in an upwards direction increasing the nose lift and enabling a greater degree of float. Does that make sense?
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cav0011 View Post
lots of powder boards are not stiff.... I do not work in the industry but I understand basic physics. The idea behind a powder board is to keep the nose up and out of the powder which in turn planes the rest of the board/rider up. By making a board softer you allow the pressure the snow creates to bend the board in an upwards direction increasing the nose lift and enabling a greater degree of float. Does that make sense?
Yeah, i get that. But how is it stiff enough to be a pow board when people start throwing temselfs of cliffs and huge drops? Wouldnt it just buck?
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Cameltoe and the Omni are both a 5 on the flex scale. I rode an Omni (soft version of the Undisputed) a couple years ago in 2 ft of powder and it would sometimes just kinda fold up in turns. As much as I love Bataleon, they never were much in the way of pow boards.

Last edited by extra0; 02-22-2013 at 10:13 PM.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Agreed but I think you are mistaking the two items. Pow board doesnt equal free ride board. Just like jib board doesnt equal big jumps. Even though they are in the same area of riding the design of them is slightly different. I ride an undisputed as my pow board and it works well for me, but it isnt classified as a pow board it is a freeride board. It is stiff and i can go off cliffs and bid drops with it. That doesnt mean I would take a pow board off of the same stuff.

Most people use powder boards on fairly mellow terrain since most people ride mellow terrain in general, when riding mellow terrain float is the most important feature on a pow board, once the terrain gets steep you are going to float on anything and the shape of a pow board becomes less important.
cav0011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So cat sking and heli sking is what i would take camel out for. Sick, imma pick up a camel toe in 158. Probably gonna pick up a goliath next year
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Default Camel Toe Info

I have a (2008) 161W Goliath, (2012) 164 Omni, and a 158 Camel Toe.

Performance:
80% of the time I ride it's powder days in Japan (Deep but not extremely steep). The Camel toe has performed amazing for me. I have found that it seems to have equal to if not more float than my Omni did in the pow, but the main advantage of it is that it's very maneuverable through trees. It seems to perform well on groomers and it has a decent side cut for carving in between my tree runs.

Durability:
I have taken two hard hits on my base (1 minorly exposed the core). Both of them were very easy to repair and turned out amazing. The tail has taken some hits on trees, and is beginning to chip at the topsheet, but it's expected.

My friend and I swapped boards (Jones Hovercraft 156), and they are remarkably similar boards. I didn't notice much difference in float at all. Another thing to consider... The Camel toe seems to have 0 TBT in it's tail.

I have noticed my Omni do the "nose fold" in some of my turns. It's really kind of weird but I am fairly certain it's due to poor riding and not board performance.

Short clip of the type of terrain I ride with my Camel Toe:
Rusutsu Feb 2013 - YouTube
littlcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #37 (permalink)

I have a question about the GW, i need a pretty soft park board for presses and butters, but still have lots of effortless pop. I was thinking the global warmer. Does any one have experience on this bored?
brocklee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:55 AM   #38 (permalink)

Default Camel toe or Unity Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
don't know why they dropped the undisputed. yeah, the omni is a very similar board, but is way too soft for all mtn/pow...hell, even the evil twin is stiffer

I totally agree after riding a Omni for a couple of years I then upgraded to an undisputed earlier this year the board was so much stiffer and faster totally loved it then I find out Bataleon have dropped it, maybe itís because of the white gold range of high end Boards that Bataleon have introduced ?
I rode Niseko in feb and had an amazing time on my Unity whale but I was considering changing to a Camel toe for next year any views ?
tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:04 AM   #39 (permalink)

I absolutely loved my Camel Toe for Jpow. It rode very similar to my friend's Hovercraft. I also own an Omni 164 that was my previous 'pow board', but it has been collecting dust since I started riding my 158 Camel. It's way more responsive in trees, and it give me more than enough float (190lbs). With the extruded base and a fresh wax job, I was blazing past everybody on the flats as well.

This is my camel in Rusutsu/Moiwa, if you're bored you can check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5ILvo3a2o0
littlcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #40 (permalink)

Thumbs up

springfield??

Last edited by Rogier158; 08-29-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Rogier158 is offline   Reply With Quote