WTF base damage - Page 5 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #41 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default WTF base damage

Actually, PhD holders have as much right to the term "doctor" as MDs.

Doctor was originally used to describe people in teaching positions.

The reason you might come across PhD holders being vocal about it is because people don't generally default to calling them Dr unless they know the person's title. These people work hard for the degree, so I can't really knock them for wanting to be addressed as Dr. Although there are ways to be less snooty about it.

MDs don't have to worry about this. They are always addressed as doctor by default. They might be vocal if we all stop calling them "doctor." Who knows?

If I had a PhD, I wouldn't want to be addressed as Dr. Although I would want it in my written titles.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #42 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post

The reason you might come across PhD holders being vocal about it is because people don't generally default to calling them Dr unless they know the person's title. These people work hard for the degree, so I can't really knock them for wanting to be addressed as Dr. Although there are ways to be less snooty about it.

MDs don't have to worry about this. They are always addressed as doctor by default. They might be vocal if we all stop calling them "doctor." Who knows?

If I had a PhD, I wouldn't want to be addressed as Dr. Although I would want it in my written titles.

Written titles/legal documents, OF COURSE.

Asking to be called Doctor makes you pretentious and/or douchey.

Using it in an internet debate... well he kinda retracted that so I give him a pass
  • Mt Holly: 1
  • Mt. Brighton: 1
  • Caberfae Peaks: 1
  • Crystal Mountain: 2
  • Bittersweet: 1
sabatoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #43 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
man, I hate it when money sticks to your board! No worries though, looks like those dimes can be scraped off no problem
I know, I skidded through a field of nickels the other day, dinged my base all over, but they scraped off ok.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
I know, I skidded through a field of nickels the other day, dinged my base all over, but they scraped off ok.
at least you can use all those nickels you scraped off to pay for the dings they caused
backstop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
at least you can use all those nickels you scraped off to pay for the dings they caused
M.C._Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #46 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Figured I'd go straight to the source and email Tognar
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlude97
Hi Tognar,
I had a question regarding base PTEXing on a sintered vs. extruded base. Many sites state that sintered bases are harder to repair but based on your tutorial Gouge Repair With Ski Base repair Iron
The method for repairing the base is essentially the same for a deep gouge that doesn't go to the core, melt PTEX into the gouge and scrape flat. Is the repair more likely to fail(pop out) on a sintered base? You mentioned durability issues but that is somewhat ambiguous. Will using your PTEX sticks with the repair gun be the same for sintered and extruded bases?
Thanks,
-Hai
Straight from the horse's mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tognar
Hi Hai,

The material that we offer will bond to sintered material just fine. If you have damage that extends down to the core you will want to address that by using a material like Metal Grip (P-Tex infused with epoxy) first as a thin layer, then use a standard P-Tex material over the top. The epoxy in the Metal Grip will help adhere to the core material.

The durability is somewhat ambiguous and comes from experience mainly. Drip repair candles are at the low end (they have paraffin in them to help them burn and are a softer material), P-Tex sticks and Repair Ribbon are at the high end of durability, due to their density and the heat at which they are applied.

Hope this helps!

Scott
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

Haha...you are right Leo...actually medical "doctors" title is an honorary title given in the field of medicine. Only those who attain PhDs are actually legit holders of the "Dr" title. Of course, many MDs go on to attain PhDs also...double doctors I guess! It is unusual for those outside of academia who hold PhDs to use the dr title, however if you have a phd and work in academia then it's the reverse and the dr title is used widely teaching etc. I have one myself and as I am not in academia anymore I just use phd these days in a professional context. However, I have no beef with anyone who uses dr title regardless of where they work. Knowing the hell you go through to get the fkr you have every right to use it anywhere! Anyway...back to snowboarding...
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:

You canít get a PhD without the proper knowledge. But, if you have a high post count you can get a free Never Summer snowboard and a PhD in Bullshit. Thanks for showing us the way Leo. You da man. Never Summer Design Team cant wait!
SilverSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #49 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Dont feel bad. Every board I have owned looked like that the first day. Nothing toe worry about man.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote