WTF base damage - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default WTF base damage

So I'm on my new Capita BSOD today, third day riding the thing and it's performing like a dream. Hard carves and the early rise tips were great for floating over the 3" we were getting today. Did 7 runs down normal blue groomers with an extra layer of fluff on top. 1 Down Liftline (Double black). A few patches of ice underneath but nothing cray cray.

Then, I get down to the bottom and take my board off and find these, along with a 6-inch scrape across the top sheet:

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

photo (3).jpg

First question: What the HELL did I run over?? Looks like rock damage but I didn't feel anything like that. Wonder if there were some under the snow that I might've hit?
Second question: Do you guys think these are easily fixable with P-Tex/wax or think it might need a full base grind to get rid of them? I'm new to the repair work and i'm worried about that one close to the edge... No core shots though

I'm super pissed since I just bought it! Good way to get me out of the mood on a snowy day too
M.C._Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry to say but it looks like the board is a Sintered base. So permanent repair with ptex is a no go
Timberline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a couple ptex repairs on my TFA and its been fine
dubstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberline View Post
Sorry to say but it looks like the board is a Sintered base. So permanent repair with ptex is a no go
Sintered bases are made from Ptex and more likely to to be successfully repaired (w/ptex) and welded. Sintered bases are also less prone to damage

Extruded bases- are also made from ptex and can be repaired and welded, the extruusion process makes it more difficult for them to be repaied. Extruded bases are more easily damaged due to the softer nature.

OP- it looks like you rode over rocks, or other jumk under the snow. If the core isn't eposed don't worry to much (you can razor off any hangers) and just get your board repaired at the end of the season. You'll get a lot more dings and scratches before this one is over. If the core is exposed do ptex the base (do it your self if your confident, or have a shop do it).
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah it's a wax-infused sintered base - I thought P-Tex was a universal filler though? Damn I'd be pissed if this ended up having to be an expensive base grind and rewax after only 3 days!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would just make sure that one bigger ding in somewhat flat and just ride it. I have a few bigger gouges on mine that are almost to small to ptex and I don't notice any difference while riding
dubstatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseracka View Post
OP- it looks like you rode over rocks, or other jumk under the snow. If the core isn't eposed don't worry to much (you can razor off any hangers) and just get your board repaired at the end of the season. You'll get a lot more dings and scratches before this one is over. If the core is exposed do ptex the base (do it your self if your confident, or have a shop do it).
Thanks bseracka. As far as I can tell there's no core shots, just a handful of gouges like the ones above - should I be more worried about the one that rides right up to the stainless?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Shave the parts that stick up past the flat portion of the base and ride it. Those don't really need to be fixed. Contrary to what was written above, all bases can be fixed with normal PTEX candles. Sure those areas will no longer be sintered but it won't make a lick of difference. Clean up the edge burrs with a diamond stone followed up with a gummy stone.
redlude97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys you've made me feel better about these small gouges. Sounds like p-tex will work ok so Ill ride it out for a while then tune and repair it all in a month or so.

Side note - is it normal for the edges to look like that after 1 day of riding hard pack with 3" of pow on top? I know edges dry out quicker because they are in constant contact with the ground, but this seems fast to need a new wax. Base/edge burn or just normal for a sintered base?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C._Dub View Post
Thanks guys you've made me feel better about these small gouges. Sounds like p-tex will work ok so Ill ride it out for a while then tune and repair it all in a month or so.

Side note - is it normal for the edges to look like that after 1 day of riding hard pack with 3" of pow on top? I know edges dry out quicker because they are in constant contact with the ground, but this seems fast to need a new wax. Base/edge burn or just normal for a sintered base?
those are all so shallow that p-tex repairs won't stay in them, they'll just pop out. just use a razor blade and trim off any shit that's sticking up, wax your board like normal and that's it.

the gouges need to be deeper than that for a p-tex repair to hold.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote