Board advice: Short AND light male - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board advice: Short AND light male

Hi all... first post looking for some advice.

For the past couple of seasons I've been riding:
  • 2006 Ride Decade 151
  • Goofy and duck foot (15/15) set to almost centered (I ride switch about 40% of the time)

Size-wise I am:
  • 5'5", 110lbs (with all the gears on)
  • boot size 8 (actual foot measurement is about 24cm)

I do fine with the board on most runs. My riding style is mostly freeride, on blues and some blacks (as long as it's not choppy/mogully). I like to carve. I'm also starting to do the occasional jumps here and there on the trail. Powder is fun as long as it's also steep. Moguls are really difficult for me to do.

Basically, my problem is that in more choppy/bumpy conditions (like moguls) I have a really really hard time controlling the board. It feels, to me, like I don't have enough power to overcome the momentum of the board.

After doing a bit more research, I've stumbled upon a few things, that the Ride Decade 151:
  • doesn't take into account my really light weight: it's apparently for people 95-170lbs. my weigh is in there, but at the very low end. every online tool I've tried over the past few days says that I should get 145-146cm board.
  • may be a bit too wide (24.9cm waist): My feet is 24cm, but with my duck foot 15 degree stance, I have very little overhang. This one I'm not entirely convince, since I don't really have any problems getting on edge. If anything I get on edge too much.
  • may be too stiff: again, because of my really light weight, maybe a soft board to an average weight person would be almost the same as a stiff board for me(?)

So now the questions:
  1. What do you all think of my self-assessments so far: Is there anything I am missing or are completely off on?
  2. The people I've talked to at the store suggested a coupl of things: hybrid rocker/camber setup, women's board, and kids board. Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Some boards that have been suggested to me are:
  • Burton Process Flying V: smallest is 152, because it's a bit softer than the Custom Flying V
  • Jones Twin Sister: 146 (if I can find one). The male version (Jones Mountain Twin) bottoms out at 151
  • Ride DHK: kids, largest size is 146
undesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Do you think it could be an issue of technique rather than equipment? I wouldn't go to a shorter board if you're looking for stability.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by undesigner View Post
Hi all... first post looking for some advice.

For the past couple of seasons I've been riding:
  • 2006 Ride Decade 151
  • Goofy and duck foot (15/15) set to almost centered (I ride switch about 40% of the time)

Size-wise I am:
  • 5'5", 110lbs (with all the gears on)
  • boot size 8 (actual foot measurement is about 24cm)

I do fine with the board on most runs. My riding style is mostly freeride, on blues and some blacks (as long as it's not choppy/mogully). I like to carve. I'm also starting to do the occasional jumps here and there on the trail. Powder is fun as long as it's also steep. Moguls are really difficult for me to do.

Basically, my problem is that in more choppy/bumpy conditions (like moguls) I have a really really hard time controlling the board. It feels, to me, like I don't have enough power to overcome the momentum of the board.

After doing a bit more research, I've stumbled upon a few things, that the Ride Decade 151:
  • doesn't take into account my really light weight: it's apparently for people 95-170lbs. my weigh is in there, but at the very low end. every online tool I've tried over the past few days says that I should get 145-146cm board.
  • may be a bit too wide (24.9cm waist): My feet is 24cm, but with my duck foot 15 degree stance, I have very little overhang. This one I'm not entirely convince, since I don't really have any problems getting on edge. If anything I get on edge too much.
  • may be too stiff: again, because of my really light weight, maybe a soft board to an average weight person would be almost the same as a stiff board for me(?)

So now the questions:
  1. What do you all think of my self-assessments so far: Is there anything I am missing or are completely off on?
  2. The people I've talked to at the store suggested a coupl of things: hybrid rocker/camber setup, women's board, and kids board. Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Some boards that have been suggested to me are:
  • Burton Process Flying V: smallest is 152, because it's a bit softer than the Custom Flying V
  • Jones Twin Sister: 146 (if I can find one). The male version (Jones Mountain Twin) bottoms out at 151
  • Ride DHK: kids, largest size is 146

This board might be a little advanced for you at first but I think it's something with a little progression you could grow into...GOOD LUCK!

K2 Snowboards Lil Kandi Snowboard - Little Girls' | Backcountry.com
RockSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSteady View Post
This board might be a little advanced for you at first but I think it's something with a little progression you could grow into...GOOD LUCK!

K2 Snowboards Lil Kandi Snowboard - Little Girls' | Backcountry.com

LOL

Whats your budget? The skate banana comes in some pretty short sizes.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote