Advice on buying new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kyle09

Default Advice on buying new board

Hi everybody. I am pretty new to snowboarding but really love it when I get to go. I have always rented my gear. I love wakeboard and I want to get into snowboarding & am looking to hit up the mountains this winter. I went to the one and only board shop here in Kansas City and I told them that I want to ride rails & jumps/halfpipe rather than poweder. I am 6' 175lbs & shoe size is 11.5-12 They reccomended the twin tipped 157cm Burton X8 board w/ the EST bindings that go with it for me. I have not tried any boots yet because they did not have much at the time. Just want to hear to what everone else thinks about this setup pros and cons.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
geoko

well, i can tell you (and there's another thread entirely about this) that as an 11.5 / 12 boot size, you'll need to be wary of the board width and / or find bindings with toe risers. Also, seems like most everyone here are Rome fans, so I'm guessing you'll get lots of recommendations to look at Rome boards.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

If you're in Kansas City I'm assuming you go to Colorado to ride? If thats the case buy your gear here and get outfitted with gear that will actually work for you not what some retarded shop in the middle of the flats is pushing.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
If you're in Kansas City I'm assuming you go to Colorado to ride? If thats the case buy your gear here and get outfitted with gear that will actually work for you not what some retarded shop in the middle of the flats is pushing.
X2. I might have worded that differently, but it sounds like your shop is pushing the next "Burton" thing and quite frankly I am not impressed with EST. I know of a pretty good shop in Silverthorne you might want to check out...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 04:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Kyle09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonAvenger View Post
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I dont want to go all the way to colorado to buy a board. There is a place here in kc that is a tiny little mountain that makes thier own snow and they have rails and jumps and stuff. I get a season pass there every year, and am sick of their rental shit.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well since you have the internet, welcome to internet buying man. Sometimes you just can't go with what the shop recommends to you.

Figure out your boot size first though thats imperitive. I'm an 11 shoe and usually go with a 9.5 to 10 boot.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote