Recommended Set-up for a bigger guy - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Recommended Set-up for a bigger guy

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you could help me. I am new to snowboarding and starting to get more and more into it. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a set up for me, a bigger guy.
My dimensions are:

6 feet tall (likely to grow to be about 6'3"
205 lbs
17 years old
size 11 shoe

I am a beginner however my friends who are quite good say I am learning quickly I did blue on my first day of learning without falling, I dont know if that is good or bad, as I said, I am quite new to snowboarding. I would like a set up that isn't too too expensive. I prefer downhill/ freeride boards. I like doing occasional tricks but it will not be used for only tricks. Thanks so much and keep shredding.
Wujaxkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

This is a pretty open ended question.

What do you friends ride? Have you had a chance to test anything out?
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

A few of my friends are bigger and they picked up Status Stigma's from last year and they are loving them. They usually ride tahoe/mammoth and they claim the extra width (around 26cm?) was perfect for their larger foot size. I ride the Status Uno and love it but it may be a bit too narrow for you. Looks like last year's stigmas are on sale too, fyi.

2012 STIGMA Series : STATUS Snowboard Company
Sal78sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't need a wide board until you get up to size 12. I ride a size 11 boot and from my experience you'll be fine on anything 25.3 width and up.

As a progressing beginner some boards to check out are the Never Summer SL, Capita Defenders of Awesome, and Yes Basic.

I'd look for something 158-162 or so at your weight.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Depends on your stance angles and your style of riding. For someone that likes to carve and has an 11size boot, 25.3cm may be a bit narrow resulting in toe/heel cup dragging in softer conditions.
Sal78sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thanks everyone so far

I have been able to try out Burton Board with K2 bindings, I ride regular and I like to carve in and out. I like to do the occasional trick but I wont use it for only tricks and grinds. Thanks so much so far.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksup3erb View Post
This is a pretty open ended question.

What do you friends ride? Have you had a chance to test anything out?
My friends mostly all ride Burton with K2 bindings, but they are pretty good. Hahaha I am not there yet, maybe one day.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a size 10.5 boot and I can give you two pieces of advice. First would be check some of Burton's boots with foot shrinkage it helps if you're really worried about toe drag. There is a huge difference between my Grails and my lashed.

Second check the waist width before you buy your board. The dimensions are on the net at each manufactures site. I always do before I buy to make sure the deck I'm checking out isn't going to be a problem.

Last have you checked out Lib-Tech, they are really decent when it comes to width and I use the TRS and it comes in a regular width but I use the Skate Banana in a wider width for more fun in the park. Burton is also a decent choice due to the IS Channel since you can really dial in your width and angles with ease preventing issues with toe and heel drag.

In my opinion I would scope out Burton for boots due to the shrinkage tech. Then you can ride what you like. A size 11 boot rides like a size 10 and you won't over hang then. Then you can ride whatever board you like. But like stated above it really doesn't become an issue till a size 12 or bigger.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Okay, cyfer has the right idea. Start by committing to a pair of boots. Try a lot on and get the most comfortable pair. Make sure you can live with laces if that's what you end up getting (over boas).

Then find bindings/sizes that will match that boot. Again best way to test this will be in the store. It's about fit and stiffness. Go with a medium stiffness.

Then match to a board. I think you're in the 160 range, and it's hard to say if you should be in a W width if you're not matching your boots and bindings to that range. However a narrower board in general will be easier to flex meaning easier to turn. Again I would go with a medium stiffness.

Try not to come up with a setup the other way around, I.e., starting with the board first. Shit will more likely to be uncomfortable and you'll end up scrapping it altogether.

Also brands don't really matter. Surf around here and get a sense for what others are riding just to get an idea of brands. But what someone else has got might not mean shit for you. Get good boots for you and you're on the right track.
ksup3erb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Worked in a shop awhile ago but haven't in years. Found out if rather ride than sell shit to other people to get them out on the hill.

Good rule of thumb for purchasing your first setup is as follows and this is just my OPINION.
1) Boots, spend the most your budget here, buy the best you can without breaking the bank. You will spend 8 hours plus in these and if they suck in the shop they will be worse in an hour or two. Be very picky here and don't skimp on a few extra bucks because you WILL regret it later. Try on as many boots as you can and keep em on you feet for a few minutes. Your feet tend to swell in boots and try to buy them as tight as you can take them without pain. Most boots will pack out a half size in about four to six days on the hill.

2) Bindings, make sure they fit the boots you just decided on and have no pressure points on the boots. Bindings should be comfortable and be easy to use with your boots, fit snugly, and have no play or slop. Medium stiffness is a good start and stay away from carbon fiber and such for now. It will only kill your feet later. I suggest getting a canted binding to save on you knees too. I'd also try to get the most adjustable you can afford because it will help you later as you progress. They can be swapped later from board to then.

3) Board, this is the place where you can skimp a little and save cash to buy those better boots. It is also the most disposable part of the setup because it takes the most abuse. So buying a lesser board while learning is a good idea so if and when you gouge it you're not that all pissed. It's easy to upgrade next season and if you bought your bindings and boots properly painless too. Go with a medium stiffness and buy to your weight requirements. Too soft and it will feel loose, too stiff and turning could be an issue. For beginners I suggest a twin or directional twin, rocker camber because its way easier to turn and catch free unlike traditional camber or hybrid rocker camber.

That's just how I would approach it if I still worked in a shop and you asked me but again it's opinion others might see this differently. Good luck and enjoy your shred.
Cyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big guy, heavy, new rider, newbie