Jones Mountain Twin alternative. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Mountain Twin alternative.

Hi,

I just passed a week on the snow, and i'm completely hooked. I rented that week and now, I want to invest in some good gear that will last. I'm looking into an all mountain board, but more on the freeride side.

I'm already 99% sure about the bindings : Cartel's.

For the board, I love the jones Twin Mountain, and the review about the 2013 are all excellent. It looks like this board is exactly what I need. The only problem is that it is already quite hard to find in Europe, especially in my size ( 157). All my friends told me to wait until march or even this summer, as they will sell the stock to make way for the 2014's gear. But with the board already sold out nearly everywhere, I doubt there will be any boards left.

So I'm looking into alternative. The Nitro team series Gullwing appears to be a good all around board, but on one site, they say in their reviews that the board doesn't have anything special, and is just good all around. They also say that the board isn't really good at high speed.

What other boards should I look into ? I need a board that is good all around, I just don't think I'm much into jibbing.

Excuse my english, I'm pretty sure you already guessed that it isn't my first language.
Tratrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 04:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry I totally forgot the mandatory informations.

Weight : 190 and I'm 5'7"
Boot size : 9,5-10.
Budget : Less than 300, possibly 350 if I can find the Mountain Twin for that much.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome to the forums.

Where do you live? There are a few Mountain Twins for sale on the internet in Europe. But you will have a very hard time finding one under €450 right now.

And please specify a bit what you mean by being more on the freeride side. This would indicate that you might want a directional board instead of a twin. So, will your emphasis be on powder, charging, etc.?
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I live in Belgium, but I plan on riding mostly the alps, that's where I went last week.

As I'm pretty noob, I really enjoyed going down the groomers, going pretty straight down the hill by the end of the week. But I know I don't want to stay on the groomers my entire life, and the powdery side of it seems really appealing. That's why I'm looking into directional twins, such as the Mountain twin.

I know about the price being in the 450 ish. I already found some for 360, but only on the wide range. That's why I plan on either wait, or find an alternative.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you don't want to wait, there are a few alternatives to the Mountain Twin. Arbor Coda for example. Last year's model is the same tech as this year's but not that expensive. Great board, directional twin, I ride it myself. Also, it's a rocker with Grip Tech which helps you turn a bit easier and hold an edge. And it does great in pow for a twin. I would suggest a 159.

Or maybe the K2 Raygun. Also a very good beginner-friendly board and even less expensive.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote