Old board still good, or time for a new one? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Japerlman

Default Old board still good, or time for a new one?

Hi everyone,

I've decided after many years to get back into snowboarding and wanted some opinions on if my old board is still decent enough for my use or if I shouldn't bother with it at all.

Quick background: I got this board when I was in my teens and I haven't really grown since then so height wise I'm sure its fine. Its an old burton 55 with a good amount of scratches on the bottom that were acquired from moving/sitting in storage for years. I really don't remember anything about boards and that might be because I never really did know much.

If you need more information about the board/bindings you'll have to tell me how to figure it out, other than what seems to be a serial number on the board itself I don't see any identifying information.

It would only be for recreational use, and I'll probably have to revert back to the bunny slope just to get my feet under me again its been that long, with that said is waxing the bottom enough to compensate for the scratches? Can the bottom of the board be resurfaced? Is the cost of resurfacing to much if its an old board and I'd be better of just buying new? If I should just buy a new one how much should I plan to spend on it if its only being used as a weekend hobby?

As you can probably tell I am really starting all over here. I got no clue, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Max

The scratches are probably nothing to worry about at all. It depends on the depth. Boards get scratched, it just comes with the territory. Check sites like Backcountry Outlet for good board deals. I can give you a 50% off discount code if you buy something by the end of July.

It might be a good idea to get something a bit newer, but it defintiely isn't necessary at all, if you just want to freeride on the weekends. Just use a bit of base cleaner, or a brass brush, and get the dirt out of the base. Clean it up, give it a fresh coat of wax, and you should be good to go.

I just came off a 7 year hiatus. I thought I was gonna fall getting off the chair, but I never did. I was worried about running a green on a pow day, but it went beautifully. A few runs in, I had more board control than I ever had before. It's always akward at first, getting your legs back, but once you do, watch out lol.Taking the break, really made me appreciate snowboarding a lot more, and it certainly reaffirmed my love for it. I pretty much live like a saint and work a job I hateso I can afford this. Pretty soon, I'm gonna buy some cheap wheels, and go as much as humanly possible. It's consuming lol.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Height doesn't mean anything in board length its about your weight since it puts the down pressure on the board and thats whats going to flex and drive it.

Shouldn't be more than 25 to 45 bucks for a full tune at any good shop, or a case of beer. MMMM beer tunes it tastes so good when it hits the lips.

How old is old, thats the real question. We talking that thing designed for horseshoe bindings old? Blunted nose and tail old?
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Japerlman

I'm not even sure how old it is. I got it used at play it again maybe 10 years ago, so pretty f'ing old.

I don't know the difference between the style of bindings to describe to you which they are. I think I'm going to use it at least for one winter until I make sure I'm able to stick with it and other life obligations don't get in the way.

Thanks for the replies and your time.

On a similar note anyone in or near Harrisburg, PA that feels pity for me and wants to perhaps go to the slopes and give me some pointers come winter time?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'll give you some pointers right now. Get a real board that isn't going to hinder you and good boots.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote