Zeppelin Better than royale for carving? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Zeppelin Better than royale for carving?

Hey guys,

b4 the new season starts, i needed to get some things straight.
i am 5'10" @ 142lbs. last season i rode a 154 burton royale on missions and moto boots. To be honest the ride was less than acceptable. i though by going with a mid wide board, it would help me higher speed stability... it DID, KINDA. problem was that the board was just wayyyy to hard to turn. I don't know if it was the waist width or the type of cut on the board, but to turn at all, i had to torque the board, giving me these big skid turns that really gave me no direction at all. Before i bought the board, at rei, the salesman was telling me how this one board, the zepplin, should be the next board i get, just because i like to carve and hold edges with lots of power out of turns. Also, an agile board with a moderately stiff(er) flex would be good (as he said).

but looking at the zepplin's specs, and reviews, it comes off to me as a PARK/FS board, rather than a FR board, which i like. Reviewers have said that it is more like a very agile freeride board. also, i love pow, who doesn't, but most people said that it wasn't a very good powder board??? is that true?.. if anyone has any experience, could you please throw in? I'm looking at the newest model @ 158 or 161. Is this even the right board for me?

if not, what is a board that is suitable for me
i like:
pow
long sweeing turns
holding that sick edge
lower speed prowess/agility

-jason
italiaboi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Word

whats up dude. what size is your boot. if you have a smaller boot than it was probably the waist width causing the turning difficulty. The Zeppelin is very similar to the Burton Custom... it is an all-mountain freestyle board. It will ride the mountain very well but for your specifications you will probably want something more freeride friendly with a larger setback and maybe even a slight tapered shape. The first board that comes to mind is the Rossignol Jeremy Jones pro model. He is one of the best freeeriders in the world and his board is designed with that in mind. It honestly might be the perfect board for you. However the smallest they make it in is a 158 Rossignol Snowboard Rossignol Jeremy Jones Snowboard. Another board to check out is the Burton Supermodel. It has a 10mm taper and a 1" setback. It is a great board to go from the deep fresh to the groomers without missing a step. Those are 2 of my suggestions. Check em out

WorD
Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Zepplin is what you want or the K2 podium. But if you couldn't carve on a Royale I think you need to perfect your technique.
BurtonAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Word

yea the Zep is a great board but why would you want a directional twin. i mean i dont really see anything freestyle in your specifications. go all the way freeride with a directional shape and flex it will give you that upper hand on the fast groomers and especially in the backcountry. if you do plan on doing some freestyle, not only in the park but anywhere on the mountain, then a directional twin like the zep will be great. but for hard turns and deep pow lines get a freeride board.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

alright, so i chose the supermodel based on the reviews i was looking at. but the 163 model is wayy too bog right? should i purchase the 59?

Last edited by italiaboi24; 07-29-2008 at 05:02 PM.
italiaboi24 is offline   Reply With Quote