Jones Flagship vs Never Summer Raptor - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input. As much as I wish I was putting down first descents in AK, I'll be doing the majority of my riding at resorts (trees & moguls in VT; back bowls, steeps & chutes out west), with some occasional side country/backcountry rips. But it sounds like the flagship or raptor may still be a bit overkill.

I've been riding my Nitro Shogun 161 for about 8 years, so I can handle a long(er), stiff hard charging board pretty damn well. Many of you seem to be recommending getting a 157-159. What are the advantages to that?

Thanks again.

Last edited by dbrownie19; 02-09-2013 at 10:36 AM.
dbrownie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Check out the k2 ultra dream
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Arbor Coda or the jones mt twin. We r close in size and I was making similar comparisons a couple months ago, went with the coda, absolutely love it! I have no prob riding switch on it when I need or want to
Aw3bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
Check out the k2 ultra dream
i concur!

only spent 2 or 3 days on it, but so far i'm stoked that i went for the K2
tom1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra View Post
The flagship is super stiff aka not fun, and not damp at all. The profile is pretty flat too so don't expect a big rockered nose, it's just an early rise. Same concept, but way better construction and ride is the Rossi experience.

Other boards to look at : burton juice wagon, custom x, smokin kt22
This. Flagship is a harsh ride.
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't let these guys scare you off from your original options. Sounds like you've been riding a long time and are used to a long, stiff, cambered board. Going to either of the options you listed will not be an issue, after you get used to the new board and alternative profiles after a day or two. Although the Raptor is regular width, you should be ok, might be pushing it a bit with a size 11 on the 159. Stiff yes, but plenty agile due to the width/sidecut. I had a great time bombing on mine, and had no issues with it in terms of maneuverability. Flagship is prob a great option also, more familiar length and camber in the middle, although it is damn stiff.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Don't let these guys scare you off from your original options. Sounds like you've been riding a long time and are used to a long, stiff, cambered board. Going to either of the options you listed will not be an issue, after you get used to the new board and alternative profiles after a day or two. Although the Raptor is regular width, you should be ok, might be pushing it a bit with a size 11 on the 159. Stiff yes, but plenty agile due to the width/sidecut. I had a great time bombing on mine, and had no issues with it in terms of maneuverability. Flagship is prob a great option also, more familiar length and camber in the middle, although it is damn stiff.
Agree. I rock a 165 wide with size 11. Plenty maneuverable for me. And on those crappy days will slay the groomers.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersl View Post
Agree. I rock a 165 wide with size 11. Plenty maneuverable for me. And on those crappy days will slay the groomers.
Agree with your agree! OP would be fine on a 159... LOVE my Raptor (not endorsed btw)...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wernersl View Post
Some of us didn't learn/progress on noodley bananas. We had to learn how to manhandle some unforgiving planks lol.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Some of us didn't learn/progress on noodley bananas. We had to learn how to manhandle some unforgiving planks lol.
Hey I started on an old school Burton Custom. No Noodle that's for sure.
wernersl is offline   Reply With Quote