Jones Flagship vs Never Summer Raptor - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie19 View Post

I've been riding my Nitro Shogun 161 for about 8 years, so I can handle a long(er), stiff hard charging board pretty damn well. Many of you seem to be recommending getting a 157-159. What are the advantages to that?

Thanks again.
I used to ride longer stiffer boards as well, recently switched to shorter boards - they are just so much more fun in the trees, more agile, more playful and versatile. You seem to love trees and moguls/banks. I find shorter boards more fun in tight chutes and steeps, they will still handle well especially the boards I listed before. Also be great in powder with their rockered tips, but very stable with camber under-foot.

Longer stiffer boards are such one trick ponies - they can get boring.

You have your Nitro 161 if you want to blast groomers so i'd start a quiver and pick up a shorter board.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks again for the comments. Headed up to Vermont this weekend and then out to Colorado next week, so I think I'm going to try to demo a couple difference boards before I pull the trigger. Cheers.
dbrownie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

I'm in this same position and am still unsure of what to get.
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie19 View Post
Thanks again for the comments. Headed up to Vermont this weekend and then out to Colorado next week, so I think I'm going to try to demo a couple difference boards before I pull the trigger. Cheers.
There ya go. I think that's the right move.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

What would you guys recommend from your experience. I wish I could demo them like the op but sadly I can't
EatMyTracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Don't let these guys scare you off from your original options. Sounds like you've been riding a long time and are used to a long, stiff, cambered board. Going to either of the options you listed will not be an issue, after you get used to the new board and alternative profiles after a day or two. Although the Raptor is regular width, you should be ok, might be pushing it a bit with a size 11 on the 159. Stiff yes, but plenty agile due to the width/sidecut. I had a great time bombing on mine, and had no issues with it in terms of maneuverability. Flagship is prob a great option also, more familiar length and camber in the middle, although it is damn stiff.
Agree!
My husband is riding a Raptor 164, loves it for being very agile, fun to carve AND great in pow.
I'm on a Flagship 158 (I'm 123lbs). You'll find some of my impressions here girl-jones-flagship-good-idea guess if I'm pleased with it
I actually tried it yesterday in dense trees. It's easy to maneuver. The Flagship is damp, yes. I landed a little jump out of pow on the flat track with my legs not bent enough to absorb. The shock-energy was transferred through all spines but that's my fault. Bend your knees, ride low and you'll have a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Some of us didn't learn/progress on noodley bananas. We had to learn how to manhandle some unforgiving planks lol.
maybe that's the reason, why I don't get the point of the flagship being hard to ride; I had to learn an old Custom X

I'd recommend, you give them both a try and judge by yourself, if they fit your expectations and riding style.

Last edited by neni; 02-19-2013 at 04:02 AM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #27 (permalink)

OP hope its no too late for me to chime in, i am the exact same spec as u, 6ft 189lbs and 10.5shoes

i have over 10boards including the 159 raptor. i cant say it is better than flagship since i never tried one, but it is amazing for trees. it is super agile, a lot less forgiving than other NS board due to longer camber on nose, set back is for ultra float and very very damp. sometimes it scares me cause i feel like the nose is pulling me to sherr it wants at a fast speed, but if you come from an old school camber board than u shouldnt have a problem

whoever says rap is only for big mountain pow lines either never rode raptor or needs to relearn his skillz
Weipim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weipim View Post
OP hope its no too late for me to chime in, i am the exact same spec as u, 6ft 189lbs and 10.5shoes

i have over 10boards including the 159 raptor. i cant say it is better than flagship since i never tried one, but it is amazing for trees. it is super agile, a lot less forgiving than other NS board due to longer camber on nose, set back is for ultra float and very very damp. sometimes it scares me cause i feel like the nose is pulling me to sherr it wants at a fast speed, but if you come from an old school camber board than u shouldnt have a problem

whoever says rap is only for big mountain pow lines either never rode raptor or needs to relearn his skillz
Agree, I think people get scared when they look at NS's board chart and see the Raptor (and Summit) on the far right... I think they get the notion that it's ONLY for gnarly steep AK terrain... well I'm sure it feels at home there but I love mine on ordinary double black tree, hike runs... actually REALLY love it in the trees. Be careful on steep technical runs though, the tail likes to really rocket through turns...
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not that it's the ONLY thing that it can do, but it IS what that board was designed to do.

I just see a lot of people wanting these burly boards when their stated riding preferences scream to get something else.

At the end of the day, ride what you want.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
It's not that it's the ONLY thing that it can do, but it IS what that board was designed to do.

I just see a lot of people wanting these burly boards when their stated riding preferences scream to get something else.

At the end of the day, ride what you want.
I actually totally agree with that
danm is offline   Reply With Quote