Jones Flagship vs Never Summer Raptor - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Flagship vs Never Summer Raptor

Hi all,

I'm currently riding a '04 Nitro Shogun 161 and am in desperate need for an upgrade. I'm an advanced rider that's been riding since the mid-90s, but had been out only a few times in the last 4 years (not by choice) and I'm looking to get back into it in a bad way.

I live in New England so I spend the majority of my time ripping trees and moguls, but take a couple trips out west every year where I'm riding steeps, chutes and pow whenever I can. Occasionally I'll hit the park; pretty much never ride switch. I'm 6' 190lb with size 10.5-11 boots.

So I've been browsing around for a badass freeride board and the Jones Flagship 161 and Never Summer Raptor 159 seem to fit the bill. Can anyone tell me the biggest differences between the two? Does anyone have any recommendations for other boards I should check out? Would really appreciate any sort of advice..

Last edited by dbrownie19; 02-08-2013 at 03:06 PM.
dbrownie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm not sure you're looking at the right boards. For trees and moguls, I'd want something softer and easier to throw around. The boards you're looking at were designed with the intention of slaying big mountain lines. If you're looking at NS and Jones, I might push you more toward the Mountain Twin and SL.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

for sure the flagship is not a board that is made to be thrown around and manhandled..
huckfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

How well will a board like the mountain twin or sl hold up in steeps and powder out west? Any other boards you think I should look into?
dbrownie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I'm not sure you're looking at the right boards. For trees and moguls, I'd want something softer and easier to throw around. The boards you're looking at were designed with the intention of slaying big mountain lines. If you're looking at NS and Jones, I might push you more toward the Mountain Twin and SL.
I have to disagree at least on the Raptor... I weigh 160-165 and on my 156 I actually seek out the tightest tree lines I can find because I can whip this thing around INSTANTANEOUSLY! I AM a pretty powerful rider at 5'5" and aint chubby, so that might have something to do with it.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

They'll hold up just fine. I see plenty of SLs on the mountain here in CO. I personally ride a Proto which is pretty much just a blunted true twin SL.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie19 View Post
How well will a board like the mountain twin or sl hold up in steeps and powder out west? Any other boards you think I should look into?
Mountain Twin is more of a freestyle board, would do okay in the powder but really not meant for steeps and big lines. Doesn't get onto an edge all that well and not as stable as some of the other boards you are looking at. I'd check out the NS Heritage, Lib Tech T. Rice, Landvik, or La Nina MC, Gnu Billy Goat, Arbor Coda, Yes Pick Your Line, Slash Straight, and the Salomon Man's Board

Last edited by suburbanlegend8; 02-08-2013 at 05:30 PM.
suburbanlegend8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrownie19 View Post
If you're an advanced rider, you could ride a 159 Raptor no problem, might have some boot overhang though. I haven't ridden a Flagship so have no recommendation on that.
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The flagship is super stiff aka not fun, and not damp at all. The profile is pretty flat too so don't expect a big rockered nose, it's just an early rise. Same concept, but way better construction and ride is the Rossi experience.

Other boards to look at : burton juice wagon, custom x, smokin kt22
Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

K2 Raygun
Ride Berzerker
Lib Tech TRS
Ride Machete
Arbor Blacklist
Lib Tech La Nina
Jones Mountain Twin
Gnu Billy Goat
Never Summer SL
Capita BSOD
Capita TFA
Lib Tech Attack Banana

From what I've ridden - these boards will tear up the trees, slay it in the pow, and just be super all around fun - Fresh pow runs from 9am-noon after lunch you want to hit a few features in the park? No problem, these boards will kill it and keep you plenty happy.

I would personally hit a local shop, your boot size may be on the verge of a wide - personally with a 10.5 I would NOT get a wide though. Also get the correct size board or it will ruin everything. I think a ~157 @ 190lbs will cater to your freestyle/allmountain/powder/tree riding, all while being a fun board.

edit:

Again - like everyone else said - I would highly advise against the Flagship or the Raptor. These are big mountain, hard charging boards - unless you are putting down first decents in AK then I would not not even consider these.

Last edited by WasatchMan; 02-09-2013 at 01:55 AM.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote